Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise
Apr 29, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #346 of 393
Hmm, I think the back order time is likely to increase rather than decrease.  If the next batch shipping end of June sells out in the next few weeks, then the next batch after that may not ship till August or something.  Depends how many orders they get.  If nobody orders one between now and the end of June, and they don't sell out the next batch before they're built, they will be back in stock, but for some reason I can't see that happening...  
We just had one member over in the Rag/Ygg thread claiming not to really hear any difference between Modi/Yggy, so fingers crossed I can't hear it either when I get a chance to listen to one :p

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #347 of 393
If you uncross those fingers and put them in your ears, it will improve your chances of not hearing a difference! 
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #348 of 393
considering the diminishing returns when upgrading dacs and in general smaller impact on sq of dacs compared to source files and headphones, I am not surprised that someone wld say they sound abt the same. actually happy to hear that someone took the time to do a personal blind abx test and posted their honest impressions even if it seems a bit unfavorable. we all have different ears so variety of different experiences w the yggy is possible.

I'm waiting for reviews from ppl that share similar impressions as me on various headphones and note the relative degree of differences in a similar magnitude as me to get a hold and review the yggy.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #349 of 393
Curious to know how is Ygg compared with Master 7?  When I was searching for my end-game setup, two combos came to my mind: Ygg+Rag and Master 7 & 9. I just couldn't wait for Ygg and ordered the latter combo in January... If the former combo is better, I think I will consider to switch. Those two are almost at the same price level.

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #350 of 393
Quote:Mulder01
 We just had one member over in the Rag/Ygg thread claiming not to really hear any difference between Modi/Yggy, so fingers crossed I can't hear it either when I get a chance to listen to one :p

Let's face it, some people have tin ears.

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #351 of 393
Let's face it, some people have tin ears.

True that. Even more true, most people have untrained ears and they just dont know what to listen for ... or dont even care much about details like timbre, soundstage, etc...
What I do not believe though are people with so called (and usually self assumed) goldenears. Of course many are very well trained for hearing fine sound diffs like the ones between DACs but when it comes to pure acuity of hearing I have serious doubts. And those aren't even my doubts, it's what my audiologist said ... a guy who tested ears for the last 20+ years.

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #352 of 393
True that. Even more true, most people have untrained ears and they just dont know what to listen for ... or dont even care much about details like timbre, soundstage, etc...
What I do not believe though are people with so called (and usually self assumed) goldenears. Of course many are very well trained for hearing fine sound diffs like the ones between DACs but when it comes to pure acuity of hearing I have serious doubts. And those aren't even my doubts, it's what my audiologist said ... a guy who tested ears for the last 20+ years.

Probably the best way have trained ears is to be a musician. :p

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #355 of 393
So that's why I always hear subtle differences! :cool: (Been a multi-instrumentalist practically my entire life.)

Especially when you're that nerdy band geek who can tell when a certain person is playing across the marching field in a FF part of the song entirely due to their tone.

"Stop playing the trumpet like a french horn Jeremy!"

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #356 of 393
Especially when you're that nerdy band geek who can tell when a certain person is playing across the marching field in a FF part of the song entirely due to their tone.

"Stop playing the trumpet like a french horn Jeremy!"

Oh gawd. Let's not turn this into a discussion about marching brand practice. XD I'm all too familiar with that. (I even got to perform at the half time show of the 2002 Orange Bowl in Miami with the likes of Enrique Iglesias and Bow Wow!)

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #357 of 393
Oh gawd. Let's not turn this into a discussion about marching brand practice. XD I'm all too familiar with that. (I even got to perform at the half time show of the 2002 Orange Bowl in Miami with the likes of Enrique Iglesias and Bow Wow!)

Now you're just egging it on with your stories!

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #358 of 393
Oh gawd. Let's not turn this into a discussion about marching brand practice.

What's wrong with that? Dont listen too much to those (usually dumb) 'coolguy jokes' about the so called geek bands. Wish I had a chance to do that when I was young but unfortunately my school did not have a band. Playing an instrument is also a very handy skill for any audiophile.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #359 of 393

Yes this. I have some hearing loss where I have trouble with voices in a crowded room. To the point where for the last decade I tend to focus more on lip movement to augment what I'm hearing so I don't have to ask people to repeat themselves too often. My high freq hearing is still good to 18k. For someone approaching 50 that's not too bad. I don't profess to have golden ears by any means, but having been involved with high end for 25 yrs and working in the industry for almost 15 of those, my ears are pretty well trained. To the point where some things are obvious to me that people with perfect hearing (but untrained) don't pick up on.

My experience has been that DAC differences tend to be subtle, with the characteristics of the component coming out over extended listening. Of course there are exceptions and I haven't heard the Yggy yet. I remember the first time I ever heard an outboard DAC and was pretty surprised I couldn't detect much difference with quick A/B testing. However, after listening for several hours and then changing back to the stock CD player w/o DAC, the differences then became pretty apparent.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #360 of 393
What's wrong with that? Dont listen too much to those (usually dumb) 'coolguy jokes' about the so called geek bands. Wish I had a chance to do that when I was young but unfortunately my school did not have a band. Playing an instrument is also a very handy skill for any audiophile.

I meant because this thread is about the Yggdrasil, not how grueling being in a marching band is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back