Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise
Apr 30, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #361 of 393

Yes this. I have some hearing loss where I have trouble with voices in a crowded room. To the point where for the last decade I tend to focus more on lip movement to augment what I'm hearing so I don't have to ask people to repeat themselves too often. My high freq hearing is still good to 18k. For someone approaching 50 that's not too bad. I don't profess to have golden ears by any means, but having been involved with high end for 25 yrs and working in the industry for almost 15 of those, my ears are pretty well trained. To the point where some things are obvious to me that people with perfect hearing (but untrained) don't pick up on.

My experience has been that DAC differences tend to be subtle, with the characteristics of the component coming out over extended listening. Of course there are exceptions and I haven't heard the Yggy yet. I remember the first time I ever heard an outboard DAC and was pretty surprised I couldn't detect much difference with quick A/B testing. However, after listening for several hours and then changing back to the stock CD player w/o DAC, the differences then became pretty apparent.

I have aging ears too. It comes with age... They are still pretty good. Anyway, the difference between a sigma delta DAC and an R2R DAC does not depend on perceptions at 20,000 hz. It is fundamental organic sea-change. USB Monica sounds so much better than other sigma delta DACs that I have owned or heard, it is striking. And she isn't so uber detailed; it is old technology. I do not doubt that Yggy will raise the bar a fair bit.

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #363 of 393
165 hours. Yggdrasil has finally arrived. 

There's a certain "feel" that I get when I listen to vinyl. Yggdrasil gives me this feel. Just takes about a week.

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #365 of 393
Just got paid today (and my pocket's full of change)...I'll be strong and won't pull the trigger 
redface.gif

Ali

May 1, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #369 of 393
  No, I'll wait for the hype to calm down, and I'll also wait for my BHSE...that means I've a plenty of time ahead of me 
biggrin.gif

Ali

we can speak of that in our french forum, i'm interesting in Yggy too in few months.

May 1, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #371 of 393
How are we doing with the orders? I'm 30845 nothing yet

May 3, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #372 of 393
I'm in the market for a lightly used Yggy. Please PM me.

Too soon?

While I search, I'm thinking of grabbing an Emotiva DAC. Maybe even a Bifrost, just so I have a point of reference. Whatever I purchase, it should sound better than my AK...i just want to understand what I am getting if I decide to get a Yggy or another high quality DAC. I figure I can't lose much on a resale...

I heard the Emotiva DC-1 yesterday w/ the Zana Deux. They both sounded great with HD800s.

May 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #373 of 393
Internet points to you for the Bonamassa reference :¬)

Niice! if you get enough internet points, you can trade them in for a yggy! :wink:

I've almost saved up enough myself =D

May 6, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #375 of 393
Why is the sire dac in the list when it's just a vapourware? No one has any details with regards to it except it's Mind boggling price.

You mean the list I posted? They were just to illustrate examples of super-expensive DACs. I was thinking out loud about how the Yggdrasil would sound compared to them. Some details have been released, but it's not like any of it would be relevant to all but a few of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back