Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise
Apr 28, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #316 of 393
i don' want to repair it because i already do it one time and it cost me a lot of money ,  and i'm a little bored about this dac ,  , nice sound but a little too polite and slow ( i have the first proto model with no output stage just two coupling caps..)    last years i had Weiss202 , acusticarts SEdac, PASS D1 dac, and i'm sure i'm forgetting ones  ..  the only ones i 'm regretting is my ancient Wadia 860 and audioAero capitole MKII  but that's an ancient story.    

i need something fresh , i can't change my wife as she has the house so i want a new dac :)
i will wait a Hugo / berkley alpha, Yggdrasil shoot out somewhere..

thank all

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #321 of 393
  perfect timing for shiit to punishing the slow or hesitate buyer..... like me :)

Hesitant? You could always order one and ship it to me. I'll put it through the works to figure out if it's any good or not. If it isn't that great, I'll keep it so you don't have to look at it and say 'what a waste of money'. 

*cough*

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #322 of 393
  You'll have to do a comparison between Fulla and Yggy. I mean, it could go either way.

lol. Yeah, I plan on getting a few more affordable DACs and other equipment that would let me rapidly switch between them and compare. If what everyone else has said about Yggy is true, it will sound a lot better than stuff under $200. Heck, Marv (purrin) told me it outperforms five figure DACs he's heard!

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #323 of 393

lol. Yeah, I plan on getting a few more affordable DACs and other equipment that would let me rapidly switch between them and compare. If what everyone else has said about Yggy is true, it will sound a lot better than stuff under $200. Heck, Marv (purrin) told me it outperforms five figure DACs he's heard!

Well it wouldn't flinch in the face of any other DAC out there. Or whatever. So I suspect it's probably one of the best DACs on the market, just minus all the crud other DACs have and priced intelligently. I'm on the prowl for my end-game DAC, and right now Yggy is on the list. Along with nothing else because I haven't done my research. Whenever you get it be sure to take it with you everywhere. Wear a mobile battery pack to keep it powered at all times. If you really do love music as much as you say, you'll lug this thing around like it's your baby.

Oh, that's a challenge. :p

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #324 of 393
i don' want to repair it because i already do it one time and it cost me a lot of money ,  and i'm a little bored about this dac ,  , nice sound but a little too polite and slow ( i have the first proto model with no output stage just two coupling caps..)    last years i had Weiss202 , acusticarts SEdac, PASS D1 dac, and i'm sure i'm forgetting ones  ..  the only ones i 'm regretting is my ancient Wadia 860 and audioAero capitole MKII  but that's an ancient story.    

i need something fresh , i can't change my wife as she has the house so i want a new dac :)
i will wait a Hugo / berkley alpha, Yggdrasil shoot out somewhere..

thank all

Arent all R2Rs more "polite and slow" than the typical D-S DACs ? And looks like the rage now is moving to R2R, you'll be swimming against a huge current

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #325 of 393

I have modi, which is good for under 200$, and Yggy is soooooo much better, it's not even close. I work in retail in audio and i've never heard a source that make such a difference ( i have not heard the 5 figure dac of marv), but you really need to let it on 24/7. Anyway, i'm at 4 days or warm-up, and i would be more than satisfied with the sound i have. Ah, and my girlfriend noticed a big difference and really liked the sound, this is something lol.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #326 of 393
  I have modi, which is good for under 200$, and Yggy is soooooo much better, it's not even close. I work in retail in audio and i've never heard a source that make such a difference ( i have not heard the 5 figure dac of marv), but you really need to let it on 24/7. Anyway, i'm at 4 days or warm-up, and i would be more than satisfied with the sound i have. Ah, and my girlfriend noticed a big difference and really liked the sound, this is something lol.

Glad to hear! I probably won't be able to afford it until a month or three from now.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #329 of 393
I'm in the market for a lightly used Yggy. Please PM me.

Too soon?

While I search, I'm thinking of grabbing an Emotiva DAC. Maybe even a Bifrost, just so I have a point of reference. Whatever I purchase, it should sound better than my AK...i just want to understand what I am getting if I decide to get a Yggy or another high quality DAC. I figure I can't lose much on a resale...

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #330 of 393
Yggdrasil owners looking to take the realism to the next level should try out the free trial of HQPlayer! I'd be interested in more impressions of it. I can't believe how much more realistic it sounds than other players, even on my affordable system. Here are the settings I use. You can also use JPLAY and Fidelizer in conjunction with HQPlayer. Some people say that combo is the best sound they've heard, software-wise. I haven't been able to get JPLAY 6 to work on my system yet, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back