Yet Another SR-71 Wow!
Nov 7, 2004 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

agile_one

忍者
Oh, sure, I could have just tacked this on to one of the many existing threads about the SR-71, but nope, I'm starting a brand new one, because this spectacular little amp deserves it.

Per my comments from the recent S. Florida Meet, I am on a small is good kick. In this vein, the absolute, smallest is bestest creation is Ray Samuels' SR-71. What a giant killer it is!

Herein are just first impressions from an evening's listening (it ain't over yet, either), but the impact was such that I could not stop my fingers from flying to the keyboard.

Ok, so what have we got here? Ray Samuels' Audio SR-71 is a tiny, battery powered amp that defies all reason when it comes to its performance. Many others have already testified to its awesome build quality, great battery life, and spectacular sound - I heartily agree.

Since I have previously owned an HR-2, and am a present Stealth owner, I was predisposed to believe the SR-71 would be a good little amplifier, because all Ray's creations are well designed, superbly crafted, and lovingly hand built. Ordinarily I would have just ordered one on impulse, but did not - I didn't really need another amp - so I stayed on the sidelines and read everyone else's glowing reports. My first exposure was Fri, Oct 22 after picking Ray up at the Ft Lauderdale airport for our meet the next day. A few of us (gsferarri, NightWoundsTime, and I) had gone over to the east coast (of FL) from the west coast (yeah, we're bicoastal ) Fri night, 'cause it's a long trek. Getting back to the hotel (it's about midnight), Ray produces a lovely, vintage Sony D-25S and SR-71, and says, "Have a listen boys". We were up till 3:00 the next morning - all being floored by what we were hearing. I was hooked on the spot.

Flash forward to tonight - Ray built me an SR-71, and I got it yesterday. No time last night, so tonight is my first real up close and personal session with the little beauty. So, how is it going? Absolutely Fabulous (British TV and PBS acknowledgements ...)! There's nothing systematic whatsoever happening here. I am letting things evolve in a very organic manner. For the last two hours I've been listening to Neil Young and Dylan from my computer (CD's ripped in lossless format -> Windows Media Player 10 -> Xitel Pro USB -> SR-71 -> Sony MDR R-10's) as I am being lazy, and the computer lets me easily access any CD in my collection immediately.

I chose Neil and Bob because I have a long time love affair and familiarity with their music, and if I didn't get an emotional response when listening to them, I would know the SR-71 was a pretender. To start, I purposely chose Neil's "Cowgirl in the Sand" from Decade, not for its technical excellence in production or recording, but just because it has been a long time reference for me. Bad synergistic systems make me notice the technical deficencies, while good synergy just lets me hear the terrific, jamming guitar work. The SR-71 came through in a huge way - big smile as I sat back in the chair and said to myself, "Damn, Neil sure could play ...". From that point on, it's been shuffle play - just sit back and enjoy whatever came up next in the playlist.

Let me say clearly and plainly - I agree with every good thing that's been said about the SR-71. It is a breakthrough product, and a screaming bargain. I consider the money spent on it among the best audio investments I ever made.

Allow me to elaborate. I mentioned that I'm listening with R-10's, so most would agree that my headphones are adequate to the task of reproducing whatever is sent to them, good or bad. In the case of the SR-71, it's all good. As good as the Stealth or Maestro that I also own? No, but amazingly close, so far. Admittedly, nothing supremely taxing yet - no classical, jazz, or busy stuff - I'll be getting to that in the next few days. How close? How 'bout 85 - 90%? That good enough for you? That's what I'm feeling right now - and I feely admit to an emotional response - but isn't that what music is about?

So where does the SR-71 come up short vs Stealth and Maestro? Only two areas that I can tell - deep, punchy bass and extremely busy (lots of instruments, voices, etc from all over the stage at once) passages. Even in those instances, the SR-71 can fake it well enough, that without the aforementioned top tier amps to compare with, the SR-71 comes off just fine, thank you very much. Both Maestro and Stealth can push the R10's to all they are capable of in an effortless, supremely smooth fashion, but the SR-71 is like a little Jack Russell terrier among Great Danes and St Bernard dogs - it just tries harder, and grabs your attention, and you gotta love that.

Comparison with the big boys aside, the SR-71 aquits itself extremely well. Fast, accurate, dead quiet background, allows the R-10's to develop that legendary soundstage, and just get the left (or right) foot tapping to the groove.

I realize that all these comments quite non analytical, but that's just where I am right now, and I can't hold back from sharing my happiness with this great little amp.

Nov 7, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 34
Gene - I am inclined to agree with you
eek.gif

I have been listening every night to the D-25 + SR-71 combo with a variety of headphones and if I keep my jaw "dropped" any longer, i'll have to stitch my lips together to start looking normal again
basshead.gif

Beautiful...just glorious...

I am now using the SR-71 with the Sony scd-222es and it sounds better than ever!!

Brillante!
cool.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Brillante!
cool.gif

er, I think you mean brilliant, no?

I am now on to the L3000 Leatherheads and REM with the SR-71, and they sound every bit as good as they did with the Stealth at last May's meet at SewerGuy's.

This little SR-71 is amazing.

Nov 7, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 34
Wow! Great review and awesome choice of music... As I read this now, im listening to Neil's latest "Greendale." He is trully amazing...

Anyhow... sorry for OT, just had to acknowledge my good friend, Neil!

Thanks Gene! Good to hear from you!

Nov 7, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder323
Wow! Great review and awesome choice of music... As I read this now, im listening to Neil's latest "Greendale." He is trully amazing...

Anyhow... sorry for OT, just had to acknowledge my good friend, Neil!

Thanks Gene! Good to hear from you!

Hey, Ron ... thanks for chiming in, and Neil does rule! (well, ok, Jimi, Janis, Led Zep, Who, John Mayall, Stones, etc, and, yeah, even the Beatles, and all who followed and were inspired by them also rule).

I'm onto the mellow stuff now - early Simon & Garfunkel - great how we can relive the past through music - Art Garfunkel is the closest pure voice to Jeff Buckley I've ever heard. It's gonna be a long night ...

Gene

Nov 7, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Hey, Ron ... thanks for chiming in... I'm onto the mellow stuff now - early Simon & Garfunkel - great how we can relive the past through music - Art Garfunkel is the closest pure voice to Jeff Buckley I've ever heard. It's gonna be a long night ...

Gene

Hey guys,

I just received my SR-71 this week - it's probably the first one to arrive in Australia. One of the albums I have been using to burn-in the amp is Donald Fagen's The Nightfly. It's an album I know very well, and it used to have the reputation round these parts of being an audiophile album. Even using as source an old Onkyo DX-2700 CDP (that's sitting around in my bedroom) it sounds fabulous. I'm looking forward to hearing the DVD-A version through my Pioneer universal player.

But I'm writing because it was listening to a Simon and Garfunkel compilation album called Old Friends that I really found myself loving the SR-71. The first disc has a bunch of their earliest work - the very first track is a demo of Bleeker Street - Garfunkel in the left channel, Simon in the right channel, and a guitar somewhere in between. Pure music, unadorned. Just beatiful. These guys sang together so bloody well. Anyway - great equipment it seems to me is all about getting out of the way of the music, connecting us as directly as possible to the work - the SR-71 seems to do that beautifully.

And it's so damn cute.

Cheers.

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 34
Heh.. since I've actually got Gene's old HR-2
wink.gif
... and I've just recently auditioned the SR-71, thought I may as well chime in a little bit.

Remarkably, I thought SR-71's sound signature comes much closer to the HR-2 than the XP-7 had previously. The technical capability and the price of the amp is very, very reasonable. I had only wished that the SR-71 provided some sort of AC power option as well, so that it can truly take place of being a home headphone amp replacement that's portable as well.

Otherwise, I full heartedly recommend SR-71 over the XP-7 from my own experience.

Nov 8, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote;

"Let me say clearly and plainly - I agree with every good thing that's been said about the SR-71. It is a breakthrough product, and a screaming bargain. I consider the money spent on it among the best audio investments I ever made."

agile_one,

That is a pretty good endorsement. Why don't you send it up here for a week for me to audition?

Nov 8, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 34
Since we have a Rayfest going here, I figured I would join in. I will be buying an sr-71. I am hoping it will be before my family and I travel up to Md. and N.Y.C. in December. I would love to have for those late nights in the hotel after my family falls asleep. I spent more time with the sr-71 at the South Florida meet than anyother piece of equipment. I could not believe the sound that little amp produced. I've owned the xp-7 twice and it was my favorite ss amp. The sr-71 could easily take it's place. The sound is right up there with the big boys. Gene, too bad you don't have any Dead as an amp of that caliber deserves the best.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 34
I found it hard to do citical comparisons at the meet, because of the excitement of listening to lots of marvelous equipment that I haven't heard before, as well as meeting all the terrific participants. Ray's amps sounded marvelous, including his wonderful little SR-71. But, what I'd really like to know is whether anyone has done a careful listen to compare the sound of the SR-71 to that of an RA-1. Right now I'm listening to James Taylor's SACD "Hourglass", using an RS-1 connected to a battery powered RA-1, and the sound is terrific. I wonder whether the sound produced by an SR-71 is better. Anyone compare these two amps?

Nov 8, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 34
Congrats, Gene and (soon) Mike. The SR-71 is indeed a "for real" amp. I've heard it at about 4 meets now and there is no doubt that it delivers in a big way for such a little amp. Were it not for my XP-7 which suits my portable and transportable listening needs perfectly, I'd surely own an SR-71 myself. It's astounding, really. You look at that little thing and just shake your head as you listen.

Nov 8, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puzzle
But I'm writing because it was listening to a Simon and Garfunkel compilation album called Old Friends that I really found myself loving the SR-71. The first disc has a bunch of their earliest work - the very first track is a demo of Bleeker Street - Garfunkel in the left channel, Simon in the right channel, and a guitar somewhere in between. Pure music, unadorned. Just beatiful. These guys sang together so bloody well. Anyway - great equipment it seems to me is all about getting out of the way of the music, connecting us as directly as possible to the work - the SR-71 seems to do that beautifully.

And it's so damn cute.

g'day, puzzle ... yeah, I think you've summed it up very well regarding the job of good audio equipment. Glad your SR-71 made the trip to Austrailia successfully, and here's to many happy hours of enjoyment from it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
Heh.. since I've actually got Gene's old HR-2
wink.gif
... and I've just recently auditioned the SR-71, thought I may as well chime in a little bit.

Remarkably, I thought SR-71's sound signature comes much closer to the HR-2 than the XP-7 had previously. The technical capability and the price of the amp is very, very reasonable. I had only wished that the SR-71 provided some sort of AC power option as well, so that it can truly take place of being a home headphone amp replacement that's portable as well.

Otherwise, I full heartedly recommend SR-71 over the XP-7 from my own experience.

Hi, lindrone ... thanks for taking such good care of that HR-2, can't tell you how many times I've kicked myself for letting it go (the Stealth does help, though
wink.gif
).

I think the battery only operation of the SR-71 is one of the keys to it's size and performance - something about that clean, pure DC current from those batteries. I'm going to look into rechargeable 9V's (I understand Plainviews are no longer available?) to cut down on the Duracell bill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieo
Why don't you send it up here for a week for me to audition?

Hi, stevio ... hmmmmmm, let me think about it .... perhaps something can be arranged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Since we have a Rayfest going here, I figured I would join in. I will be buying an sr-71. I am hoping it will be before my family and I travel up to Md. and N.Y.C. in December. I would love to have for those late nights in the hotel after my family falls asleep. I spent more time with the sr-71 at the South Florida meet than anyother piece of equipment. I could not believe the sound that little amp produced. I've owned the xp-7 twice and it was my favorite ss amp. The sr-71 could easily take it's place. The sound is right up there with the big boys. Gene, too bad you don't have any Dead as an amp of that caliber deserves the best.
evil_smiley.gif

Hey, Mike .... I actually do have some Dead - what self respecting music lover wouldn't? Before Sat night was over, popped in American Beauty and Skeleton's from the Closet - sweet.

Ray is pretty quick at building, so you should have your's in time for that MD-NYC trip. Watch out for Denver though, she may try to grab it for her Alessandro's
basshead.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
But, what I'd really like to know is whether anyone has done a careful listen to compare the sound of the SR-71 to that of an RA-1. Right now I'm listening to James Taylor's SACD "Hourglass", using an RS-1 connected to a battery powered RA-1, and the sound is terrific. I wonder whether the sound produced by an SR-71 is better. Anyone compare these two amps?

Sounds like a mini-meet in the making, Mike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Congrats, Gene and (soon) Mike. The SR-71 is indeed a "for real" amp. I've heard it at about 4 meets now and there is no doubt that it delivers in a big way for such a little amp. Were it not for my XP-7 which suits my portable and transportable listening needs perfectly, I'd surely own an SR-71 myself. It's astounding, really. You look at that little thing and just shake your head as you listen.

Thanks, Wayne ... yeah, having the XP-7 pretty much negates the need for a SR-71, and with a proper carrying bag, not really hard to carry at all. In fact, I clearly remember Guru and I walking into Sewerguy's house last May, and finding you happily engaged with Fleetwood Mac on your pcdp through the XP-7.

Trust normalcy is returning to Cayman, and life is getting back to routine.

Nov 8, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Trust normalcy is returning to Cayman, and life is getting back to routine.

Gene, there is still nothing 'normal' about Cayman, but it keeps getting better day by day. For the first time since September 12th we are starting to see some colors come back, a few scattered flowers here and there. I'm afraid it will take years, not months, to get back to where we were but we'll get there eventually. Insured damages are over $2 billion with another $4 to $5 billion of uninsured or underinsured. That's a massive hit for a place with 40,000 people.

Nov 8, 2004 at 2:50 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
I found it hard to do citical comparisons at the meet, because of the excitement of listening to lots of marvelous equipment that I haven't heard before, as well as meeting all the terrific participants. Ray's amps sounded marvelous, including his wonderful little SR-71. But, what I'd really like to know is whether anyone has done a careful listen to compare the sound of the SR-71 to that of an RA-1. Right now I'm listening to James Taylor's SACD "Hourglass", using an RS-1 connected to a battery powered RA-1, and the sound is terrific. I wonder whether the sound produced by an SR-71 is better. Anyone compare these two amps?

Read here for my blow by blow on these two amps -

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ms-2+ra-1+sr71

As I recall, the RA-1 seemed to give more detail, but that was because its highs were more prominent. The SR-71 had a lower noise floor, and wasn't as grainy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back