Yet Another SR-71 Wow!
Nov 8, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #16 of 34
agile_one,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your XR-71 so much. I've heard it on several occasions, and it is a truly amazing portable amp.

I'm hopeful that we will soon have a portable player that is up to the level of this fine amp.
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 34
You guys are killin' me. I had myself convinced that I really didn't need an SR-71. I use my TotalBithead for listening to MP3s off my laptop and since I needed that built-in DAC and rarely travel I thought the TBH just made more sense.
Enter Apple's wireless AirTunes. Now I just pump my MP3s into AirTunes and run a mini>rca into my HR2. I think the MP3s sound just as good this way and now I'll only use the TBH for travel w/ iPod/etys.
Well, if I dont need the DAC anymore I guess the SR71 can now replace the TBH in my travel rig. Damn. One more Ray Samuels amp to add to my collection (HR2/Stealth).
CPW

Nov 8, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #19 of 34
Congrats, Gene on your purchase! I spent a couple of months going back and forth between the SR-71 and SuperMacro and opted for the latter. As much as I love it, the universally glowing reports of the SR-71 always cause me some pause . . . .

Perhaps it's a good thing that the spousal unit has pretty much laid down the law regarding new purchases.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Gene - I am inclined to agree with you
eek.gif
and if I keep my jaw "dropped" any longer, i'll have to stitch my lips together to start looking normal again
basshead.gif

It's because of this post that Todd got an order this morning! Now if I only can pick out a mini-mini cable to my mini
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #24 of 34
Ah what the Hell.

I LOVE MY SR-71!!!!!!!!

and after my concert last night and much wine, Neil Young's After the Gold Rush was liquid gold through my SR-71. Now as I listen to Beethoven's Second Piano Concerto, I am continually blown away.

I had to go the last 24 hours without listening. When you are parted for a day or two, it sounds even more amazing when you come back to it.

Thanks Ray!

dshea

Nov 9, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #25 of 34
I'm very curious about what the SR-71 sounds like. Can someone tell me the general sound sig of the amp? Does the SR-71 sound very good because of it's senergy with various cans, or is it very detailed and neutral?

Nov 9, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #27 of 34
I'm getting sick of all this SR71 love!

No wait, I've got it too.
Grab your favorite portable. Hook it up to the Emmeline. Throw a pair of X on (my rec - one of the Senns - yes it powers them). Jump into bed and spend the last hour of wake in bliss.

Nov 9, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #29 of 34
stevieo said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
As you suggested during our meet at Mike's house, Holly and I are counting on a mini-meet at our place after the holidays.

sounds good to me. i still need to hear that 2900.

Steve, I'll have it ready for you by the time that you get here.

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
I'm very curious about what the SR-71 sounds like. Can someone tell me the general sound sig of the amp? Does the SR-71 sound very good because of it's senergy with various cans, or is it very detailed and neutral?

Natsuiro ... to my ears the SR-71 tends toward the very detailed and neutral end of the spectrum.

I have not heard it with very low impedance (ety's) cans or cans with extended high frequency (CD-3000's), but with Grado RS-1 and PS-1, Senn HD-600/650, R-10's, L-3000 the basic signature of the amp is clean, fast, accurate and detailed. Background is very black, which makes any signal jump out and get your attention. Little, if any coloration from the amp at all - what you hear is the combination of source and headphone - the amp pretty much of gets out of the way - just amplifies what comes in, and passes it along to the output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back