Yet Another AKG K501 v. K701 Review
Feb 21, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #16 of 37
I bet you're glad that you opened them up.
smily_headphones1.gif
I am also in favor of the k501's very beautiful midrange over the k701. AKG completely missed this with the k701, while improving on other things such as detail, warmth, and the lower frequency imo.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a much more balanced review

Asr Review - K501 v K601 v K701

In the opening sentences of the review you cite, ASR somewhat glibly and summarily dismisses the K501 as not deserving of a "critical" comparison with the K701. So, apparently, the review had gotten off on an overtly biased foot--or is it ear(?).

In addition, ASR seems to equate the sum total of acceptable midrange response with "warmth." On that count, I unhesitatingly yield that the K701 are the warmer-sounding of the two [K501 and K701]. But that [K701] warmth can be a ruse of sorts; and if you listen very carefully, it seems to be dis-embodied (opposite to the conclusion ASR draws in his review) from the stable "nucleus" of midrange activity.

Again, with respect to integrity and cohesiveness of midrange content--especially vocals, I hear (and I don't believe I'm alone in this perception) a notable difference between the K501 and the K701, squarely in favor of the K501.

Granted, the K701 do many things much better than the K501, but in the critical/vocal midrange, IMHO, the K501 significantly better the K701. Again, with all due respect to ASR's monumental and much-appreciated effort, I'm not talking exclusively about midrange "warmth" per se, but rather (and, I posit, more importantly) about midrange cohesion/integrity.

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #18 of 37
Actually, according to the Ultrasone testimonial he used to use the Ultrasone PROline 750. And the google cache for 18 Feb...

Cheers.

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #19 of 37
ditto on the ASR review

He didn't like the 501 - that's cool

pataburd prefers the 501 - that's cool too

But I wouldn't call ASR's review more balanced in the sense that it leans strongly to the 701.

Maybe something like "for a different point of view"...

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #20 of 37
Pataburd- I think you're right on with your K-501 analysis. The mids are near-magical and the reason I still prefer them greatly to the K-701. I didn't like the K-701 at all until recently, but it is growing on me. Still, the K-501 is the one I reach for when I listen to vocals or small acoustic groups.

Aren't you glad you kept them? I nearly sold mine, too, when I didn't like them immediately.

Have you tried the K-1000 yet? They have a lot of the same house sound, though the mids are slightly better on the K-501. Still, the overall cohesion, balance and extension make it better. But it is the earspeaker configuration that really sets them apart. It's almost like having K-501 speakers in an ideal listening room

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the K-1000 yet? They have a lot of the same house sound, though the mids are slightly better on the K-501. Still, the overall cohesion, balance and extension make it better. But it is the earspeaker configuration that really sets them apart. It's almost like having K-501 speakers in an ideal listening room

Yea, the K1000 gets a ton of other things right that are not nearly done as well with any other AKG. For example, the imaging, soundstage and detail is superb to any other can I have heard. My only complaint is that everything is a tad more distant than the K501 and resembles the K701 in that sense.

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fairness Fitz has been praising the 501 over the 701 forever and it seems a whole hosts of folks are now checking it out

Heh yeah... I've only been saying it for about two years now, ever since I was but a little Headphoneus Noobilus and my only AKG ownership was the K501 and K701. Still, it's nice to see there's more of us with apparently anomalous preferences in headphones.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pataburd- I think you're right on with your K-501 analysis. The mids are near-magical and the reason I still prefer them greatly to the K-701. I didn't like the K-701 at all until recently, but it is growing on me. Still, the K-501 is the one I reach for when I listen to vocals or small acoustic groups.

Aren't you glad you kept them? I nearly sold mine, too, when I didn't like them immediately.

Uncle Erik,
Of course, I would certainly appreciate the chance to hear the K-1000! Maybe at a meet sometime . . . : )

And yes, I am very glad I took a second chance with the K501 and listened more carefully this time! Like you, I currently own and enjoy the K701. They are certainly more versatile than the K501; but also like you, with certain small-scale acoustic venues, I have come to very much prefer the K501.

PatABurd

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #24 of 37
If you all like the k501, you owe it to yourself to check out the W5000 as the midrange is very, very reminiscent of the k501's while vastly improving up detail, imaging, dynamics, and soundstage.

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #25 of 37
Just re-tubed the Bada (swapped 2x RCA 6SN7GTB for 2x GE 6SN7GTB). The K501 sound more sweet and detailed as the result. Ana Caram, Bossa Nova (Chesky Records) comes through with wonderful ease, clarity and spaciousness.

Haven't reached for the K701 (or the SR-325i) all morning! : )

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #27 of 37
never heard k701 but i feel lucky to be able to grap k501 before it discontinued. i suppose the price of k501 will be up like the way k1000 or k340 in a few years?

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #28 of 37
Thanks for the great review. I have always wonder how its siblings compared to it.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #29 of 37
Swapped the 2x GE 6SN7GTB for 2x (Mil-Spec) CBS 6SN7GT. Soundstage on the K501 is now incredibly large and 3-dimensional. Ana Caram's voice and the music flow uninterruptedly--seamlessly--and, as it were, "unexpurgatedly." The CBS tubes render the transient detail more lively and crisp, as well as greatly enhance the perceived height, width and depth of the soundstage. These "easy" Brazilian jazz tracks play peerlessly through the K501.

Wow! How could I have missed all this my first time around w/the K501(!)? It could have been the source/amp (back then I had the RAM-modded Samsung HD-841/G&W T2.6F & Darkvoice 336i) or, more likely, I just didn't give these fine cans the time and attention they justly deserve(d).

In all fairness to the K701, they too sound exceptional: more finely detailed, warmer, more pleasantly rounded and tonally shaded; however, even given that list of rightfully deserved accolades, Caram's vocal just doesn't sound as believable [i.e. with the K701]. It sounds more forward/surfacene and/or unnaturally delineated/disjointed between its properly nasal and properly guttural characteristics (just as I mentioned earlier).

This disconnect in the vocal content of the track (w/the nasal aspect supplanting or superceding the guttural aspect) in turn propogates, more generally, into a reduced overall synergy between vocal and instrumental content of the song. As a result, the listening experience becomes more analytic than holistic. Mind you, it's a subtle distinction at first notice, but with further critical listening it becomes the concrete basis for discerning the fundamental difference in listening experience(s) between the K501 and the K701.

Well, does it mean that I'll forsake the K701? No. But neither will I let go of the K501, nor neglect their signal strength: a seamless and well-integrated midrange, particularly appreciable while listening to vocals. When the musical genre especially favors them (e.g. acoustic jazz, small vocal ensembles, chamber music, etc.), the K501 will be my "go-to" AKG 'phones; everything else--and that's actually quite a bit for those of us with ecclectic listening tastes--will be heard and enjoyed through the K701. : )

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #30 of 37
i owned the K501 at one time or another - they were really great and had all the strengths that everyone here is raving about

i did sell them though, and replace them with the K701 - i dont really regret my decision, and yes i do listen to tons of classical and acoustic-type music but while the midrange might not be as magical i find the K701 makes up for it with the details, textures, and better bottom end (especially after burn-in)

i couldnt keep the K501 due to budget constraints, and i am happy with the K701 - both are great phones, and if i had to live with one, it would be the K701 merely because it's more robust with other applications even if it's not the greatest with mids, like the K501

Users who are viewing this thread

Back