Yet Another AKG K501 v. K701 Review
Feb 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i owned the K501 at one time or another - they were really great and had all the strengths that everyone here is raving about

i did sell them though, and replace them with the K701 - i dont really regret my decision, and yes i do listen to tons of classical and acoustic-type music but while the midrange might not be as magical i find the K701 makes up for it with the details, textures, and better bottom end (especially after burn-in)

i couldnt keep the K501 due to budget constraints, and i am happy with the K701 - both are great phones, and if i had to live with one, it would be the K701 merely because it's more robust with other applications even if it's not the greatest with mids, like the K501

Agreed. What the K701 lacks in specificity [relative to the K501], it abundantly makes up for with versatility. : )

And . . . to be completely honest with you, if I were absolutely forced to keep one and only one of the two, in greater likelihood they would be the K701 (given the broad scope of my listening preferences). A distressing dilemma, indeed!

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #32 of 37
i had both the k501 and k701 last year. i thought back then (and still do) that the k701 does 9/10 things better. so the k501 was out...then came the k1000 and the k701 was ushered out.

but i recently picked up another pair of k501, which i'm planning on reterminating to balanced. at about a third of the price of the k701, the k501 is a great budget performer along the lines of the sr60. however, the k501 requires a good amp to sound its best and i've found it to be even more power-hungry than the k701...or at least more finicky.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
however, the k501 requires a good amp to sound its best and i've found it to be even more power-hungry than the k701...or at least more finicky.

The volume knob on my Bada is turned about 1.5 to 2 hours further when powering the K501 v. the K701. Also, the K501 sounded better with the Bada than with either the G&W T2.6F or the Darkvoice 336i. So your observations strike a cord with my own experience as well.

It's been reported on this thread, too, that the K501's mids are thought to be closer than are the K701's mids to the K1000's, in one owner's experience.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #34 of 37
Just re-tubed w/1x Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 (gold pins) & 2x Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB (tall bottle w/halo getters).

Joao and Astrud Gilberto, Stan Getz and Antonio Carlos Jobim: "Garota de Ipanema" over the K501. : )

Haven't reached for the RAL/K701 since last Thursday! : )

. . . update: Couldn't help myself: just put on the RAL/K701 with Sarah Vaughn singing "Corcovado." The K701 are no slouches on this track, either, although Sarah's vocal just lacks the ultimate "reach" heard over the K501. : )

. . . further update: Put the K501 back on: Astrud Gilberto, "Agua de Beber." Ah, the vocals are "all there" again! The K501 are definitely my "go-to" headphones on this cd (The Girl from Ipanema: The Antonio Carlos Jobim Songbook/Verve). : )

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #35 of 37
Go try AKG k551 with detachable cable and solderdude mod. This thing is cheaper and is a beast. Its like AKG k501 with zero roll off(treble and detail going on) and zero bass drop(linearly and neutrally extending towards 10Hz). I was comparing AKG k501 with them, and k501 doesn't even stand a chance to these.

K551 mod = k501 + extended bass + extended linear high range treble + even more magical mids + closed back isolation + open back sound

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #36 of 37
Go try AKG k551 with detachable cable and solderdude mod. This thing is cheaper and is a beast. Its like AKG k501 with zero roll off(treble and detail going on) and zero bass drop(linearly and neutrally extending towards 10Hz). I was comparing AKG k501 with them, and k501 doesn't even stand a chance to these.

K551 mod = k501 + extended bass + extended linear high range treble + even more magical mids + closed back isolation + open back sound

His mod is too insane for me :p Is there simpler mods, that will bring it close to those magical mids without the soldering of those caps?
Perhaps some cup dampening and foam to ease the treble spike? :D

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #37 of 37
His mod is too insane for me :p Is there simpler mods, that will bring it close to those magical mids without the soldering of those caps?
Perhaps some cup dampening and foam to ease the treble spike? :D
He dampened the treble by superlux front foam sheet and did cup filling...after that he did the electronic mod.

Its worth it..

If you are scared, then go to a solder guy and pay him 10$ for this job...its really worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back