Yet another 650 thread
May 21, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
I don't know if "fly by the night" is the correct phrase for Xin's operations, I haven't seen it for myself but I had good communication/experience with him during my purchase and won't hesitate to open my wallet up to him again in the future.

fly-by-night:
1. Unreliable or unscrupulous, especially with regard to business dealings: “fly-by-night telephone companies that open up shop, sell some systems, then disappear when service is needed” (Mary Ellen Jordan).
2. Of an impermanent or insubstantial nature: fly-by-night fashions in clothing.

confused.gif

May 21, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
I have found the Woo3 to work well with the 650's. It is nicely extended with solid bass and fairly transparent. The SuperMacro V3 with the AD797 opamp, also does very well, being a bit more extended top to bottom than the SR71 all the while providing a black background and an open soundscape.

John

Yes, and the crossfeed is a HUGE plus for me, as I'm a big Beatles fan...

Where can I get the AD797?

Oh, and I've been putting the SR-71 into very, very serious consideration now...

Arrrrgh, this is all too hard all of a sudden...

May 21, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #34 of 42
If you were using the free sample program, please be aware that it's intended to be for engineers to evaluate/test the product for possible production use (and the chips are not to be resold). It is not intended for people just wanting to avoid paying for their own private use. Please don't abuse the chip makers' sample programs. This has been a sore point that's been brought up time and again in these forums. If you are an end-user of the chip, buy it.

May 21, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosCow
I'd like more punchiness, a little less darkness, even at the cost of sacrificing a little smoothness that I might get with another system. I'd love tight bass, but extension at both ends is not very important to me; the mids are the most important.

I'm using a Headamp Gilmore Lite with my Senn 650/Zu and can say that the above comments well describe its sonic characteristics. I think the Gilmore Lite is a great sounding, well-made, and reasonably priced amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newguru
I think my only hesitation is that Xin's operation looks almost fly by night. It also seems like it is a slow turn around from order time to actually receiving the amp. Maybe I'm just too impatient but I have read posts from some taking a month to get the amp after they order theirs. I think I might go nuts waiting that long for my amp :0.

Your signature states that you are getting a Gilmore Lite (presumably from Headamp). Well, you are in for a wait. The turn around time for mine was almost a month as of March/April. Also, it's my understanding that like Xin's, Headamp is essentially a one man operation (Justin Wilson).

May 21, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #36 of 42
Wow. I didn't know Gilmore was up there with the others. Oh man, oh man...

I really appreciate all of the help. I feel like in the end, I'm going to go with the SuperMacro 3.0 with AD797 (and yes, I'll buy them, as really, when I'm dropping $400, what's another $20??). While, sonically, I'm having trouble choosing between the SR-71, Supermacro, and Gilmore, there are three important choices:

1.) Portability is very, very nice, as I'll be going to college (yes, this is the summer job money going into effect)
2.) If, down the road, I buy a new amp, I can upgrade without compunction, as my portable amp will still have a purpose
3.) Supermacro is extremely convenient and allows for opamp swapping easily
4.) Superemacro has crossfeed (Beatles again)

Thank you VERY much for all the help! All of the amps suggested, I'm sure, would be WONDERFUL amps, but Supermacro is the most appropriate at this juncture, personally, for me.

Thank you!

May 22, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #37 of 42
We have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to amplifers, there are a lot of great ones out there. It sounds like you've made a good decision based on the amps features. Enjoy!
tongue.gif

May 22, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #39 of 42
I really really liked a pair of HD600's with cardas cable through my HD25. So much so that I'm looking to sell my Darth Beyers.
I have heard the 600's through the new headroom amps, the gilmore lite, the rega ear, and the creek OBH-21. The HD25 just takes them to another level entirely. I haven't heard the HD300, PPX3, or WooAudio 3, so I can't compare it to them.

May 23, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #40 of 42
It's too bad. HD-25 is supposed to be the first amp that really pushes the envelope past the $400 range, but it's JUST out of my price range. I'd be willing to pay $500, but $600 is just a little too high. Shame, really.

May 23, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosCow
It's too bad. HD-25 is supposed to be the first amp that really pushes the envelope past the $400 range, but it's JUST out of my price range. I'd be willing to pay $500, but $600 is just a little too high. Shame, really.

Keep an eye out for the Woo at meets and for the HD25 on the FS forums. The transformer coupled output won't be as important with Sennheisers, so the Woo and the HD300 could be just as good.

May 23, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #42 of 42
Everything is a compromise. Transformer coupled can add distortion to the musical steam and too small of caps on a OTL amp can reduce bass and also increase distortion. Both done right can sound very fine. In a output transformer coupled amp, one of the most important items, obviously is the output iron. This can be very expensive, when compared to the other components that make up the amp. This is too often compromised and what you get is inferior sound. On my dac I use Audio Note double C nickle core output transformers. They are large and expensive but very good. To go with less would compromise the sound and I would have gone back to using capacitors. In an amp you either have to go with fairly large values for the caps, for good bass response, or a high quality output transformer. Either one done correctly can sound good but normally an amp with good output transformers is going to cost more just because of the more expensive transformers realitive to the capacitor cost.

I have read many accounts of those relishing the sound of the OTL amp over the transformer coupled amp. I guess it is what ever floats your boat and wallet.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back