Yet another 650 thread
May 17, 2005 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

ChaosCow

Head-Fier
All right, I'm really sorry to ask this, but I just can't seem to find the answer through looking for hours. Thus, I have to ask.

Which of these amps would be the best with the HD-650?

1.) Gilmore Lite
This seems rather popular, and is a contender, especially as it's so pretty, too.
2.) X-Can V3
Nobody seems to like to acknowledge this as a good amp. However, there's that one review somewhere where the guy absolutely LOVES this amp, so I don't know if I can write it off completely. Plus, it's kinda cool looking.
3.) Rega Ear
I don't hear about it that much recently. Is it in the same quality range as these amps?
4.) SuperMacro-3
The main purpose of this thread. Is the choice THIS obvious? Is this really, just unquestionably, the wisest amp to buy? It seems too easy (naturally, I'd get it with AD8610).
NOTE: I left out the SR-71 because it seems less suitable for the HD650 than the SuperMacro, and thus, there would be no reason to take that one above it. Thanks!

And I already own the 650s, have for a while, so PLEASE can people refrain from responding with "well, you should have gotten 580s" and not give a response or "my $1200 amp works great!" Really, I'm just interested in these amps and anything else in the $300 to $400 range. Is there an obvious choice where one sounds better than the others? Or does the SuperMacro 3 clean up thanks to equivalence in sound and utter superiority in features?

That is the question. I feel like the $300-$400 range is a big question for a lot of headphone buyers, especially those who decided to go all in with (perceived) headphone quality with the 650s and aren't ready to spend thousands yet.

Thank you very much, and again, I apologize for creating another nightmare thread.

May 17, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 42
I own both the HD600 and HD650. Originally, I had hooked up my headphones to the CD-based system in my study room. In that setup, the HD650 was clearly the winner. I've recently hooked up one of the amps to my main reference system with LP front end. So now I understand what the debates are all about with the 600 vs 650. With my LP setup, I prefer the 600 over the 650.

My point is that how an amplifier will sound in a specific system will depend a lot on synergy with the rest of the system. Someone might comment that one amp sounds bright in his system, but his situation might be a mismatch between the amp and his CD player, etc.

I would recommend that you also provide some information that are missing from your original post:

1/ What front end components are you hooking the amp/headphone to?
2/ What type of music do you listen to?
3/ What characteristics are important to you? (More bass, tight bass, extension at both ends, accurate mids, etc.

So that people making the recommendation could take into account the difference between your system and theirs.

May 17, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 42
Well, this is horrendously embarrassing, but currently it's a Sony $300 CD Player, and generally I listen to a lot of Rock. Yes, horribly embarrassing and a case of not doing my research correctly for the headphones; however, I just enjoyed the mids and comfort of the Sennheisers so much I had to have them. I suppose getting something to make the Sennheisers a little less dark would be ideal, without compromising on detail. Basically, the question is whether or not all these amps are comparable in their own regards, and if some have better synergy with the Sennheisers to compensate for their darkness in general. I've been using direct headphone into my iPod for a while, so anything's going to be an improvement. If all of the systems are comparable, then the SuperMacro is the obvious choice (with AD8610). I'd really just like a final word if they're really equal to all of these other systems in this application.

(I'm probably going to dip into other genres like classical soon, meaning that the Sennheisers weren't really that bad a choice. I'd rather have headphones that weren't entirely specialized).

Having lots of bass isn't that important, tighter is always better. Murky bass just gets my goat. I'd really like something that is a little dynamic, which is why I've been leaning towards the SuperMacro.

Sorry to be so horribly unclear. Basically, I'd like anything that makes the system more dynamic and a little detailed. And more blackness between the notes would be better, too. Argh, I'm so unclear. But either way, I'm going to be using CDs.

In summation, after that pathetically unclear post:
I'd like more punchiness, a little less darkness, even at the cost of sacrificing a little smoothness that I might get with another system. I'd love tight bass, but extension at both ends is not very important to me; the mids are the most important.

Thanks!

May 18, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 42
I have some HD600's coming from Amazon (should be here next week) and I'm looking at basically the same amps as you are right now. I think my first choice (and from the sound of your post), your first choice is the SuperMacro3.

I keep trying to check out other amps but it seems time and time again like the SuperMacro allows the most versatility and I haven't seen really a single post bashing it as a bad amp. I think the fact that it can be portable YET can run on AC power (which at the same time will charge rechargeable batteries), you can roll opamps, and its relatively cheap (compared to other amps that offer the same performance) keeps pulling me back in.

I think my only hesitation is that Xin's operation looks almost fly by night. It also seems like it is a slow turn around from order time to actually receiving the amp. Maybe I'm just too impatient but I have read posts from some taking a month to get the amp after they order theirs. I think I might go nuts waiting that long for my amp :0.

Those small points aside, it looks like the one we should get.

I'm eager to see some other posts on this though.

May 18, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 42
newguru,

You make some good points for the SuperMacro V3. I have this amp and use it with my HD600's mostly and with the 627 opamp, it gives a very powerful, thick and dynamic sound (ala vintage Marantz). A good change of pace from my tube amp.

I heard a gilmore lite, briefly at a meet with my HD600's and found it also powerful and dynamic but with more resolution then the SM V3 (627). I would have been happy with this amp as well. Just decided on the portable route and the fact that (disclaimer) I met Xin at a meet and found him and his amp quite engaging. I don't know if "fly by the night" is the correct phrase for Xin's operations, I haven't seen it for myself but I had good communication/experience with him during my purchase and won't hesitate to open my wallet up to him again in the future.

I haven't heard the Musical Fidelity amp or the Rega amp either.

Good luck

May 18, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 42
Yeah, that's exactly the impression I had, as well. Can it really be THAT easy? Is it just THAT much better than the competition? The only real competitor to it is the SR-71, whose sound is equivalent in quality and not the best for Sennheisers anyways. And beyond that, even the 2.0 seemed to be on even footing with the Gilmore, the X-Can, and the Rega. So the 3.0, which is supposed to be better, is...?

Well, this has gotten very easy.

May 18, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 42
I'd suggest a custom built PPA or M3 from a well known builder, such as MisterX.

May 18, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 42
I have the hd650's and MF x-can v3, unfortunately my only comparison is an Audiolab 8000a integrated amp. I listen to both cd (arcam cd73t) and TT (rega p3/goldring 1006 cartridge...I know I'm upgrading the cartridge after the amp). In addition, I just got the Stephan Equinox cable for the Senn's. Here's the impression: I can't put the cans down...love the sound. The combination of tubes is nice with these headphones...gives life to the sterile sound. The amp has ample power...I mean 1/2 volume or less kind of power. The sound is great in the midrange and nicely rounded in the highes...not overly "tubey". With the boat load of power comes a nice lower frequency control. Good and tight bass response. I agree with the pro reviews that the Equinox cable closes up the soundstage a little and accentuates the detail...I'd add that the bass closed its grip as well. In this price range (which I find myself in) I'm not sure you can drastically change the sonic difference with each amp (others are free to disagree). One major drawback is that the x-can does not allow for interchangable tubes without sodering. In all, I will gladly rave about the x-can...perhaps my upcoming Boston meet will change my thoughts once I sample other amps in this price range, but I don't expect a wallet openning change to occur. In all the MF is well worth the $$$...if you just want to listen to music this might be a good stop on the way to sonic tranquility...if you like to tweak I'd look elsewhere.

May 18, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I'd suggest a custom built PPA or M3 from a well known builder, such as MisterX.

I also recommend a m3. I personally have not heard it (yet). But people seem to be raving about it and a lot of people prefer it to the ppa or gilmore light. The supermacro also is a good choice especially if you want to be able to tote your amp around. I have a supermacro v1 w/ 627 op amps and It sounds quite good with my hd-650s.

May 18, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 42
Well I had Rega Ear and 650s in home test for a few days and boy did I love them. The sound was amazing compared with Rega/without Rega/with Chinese tube amp. I really don't have anything bad to say about this amp. Though I really don't have much to compare it with. As you can read from signature I have both of them in order now.

One of my friend have heard both Rega and X-Can v3. In his opinion Rega beats X-Can like 6-0. He said that X-Can has far too bright and cold sound for his taste. Didn't like it at all. Don't know is this very useful comment but I just felt that I have to write it.
redface.gif

May 18, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 42
The general consensus seems to be that any of these combinations will make me ecstatic; however, most people who rave about the X-Cans haven't used other amps in its price range. That's just how it seems. Further on, the Rega seems quite popular, but the Gilmore seems to beat it.

Then, the SuperMacro; it seems that nobody who's heard this has placed an amp above it yet.

That, over lots and lots of hours searching the internet, seems to be the general conclusion (specifically in application to the HD650s).

Thanks for all the help!

May 18, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I beg to differ. My 580 sings very well with the sr71.

So do my HD600 (Cardas) and my HD650.
In that range I'd choose the SR-71.
Plus=portability
Minus= batt powered only but batt pwr=cln pwr!
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back