Yet another 650 thread
May 18, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #16 of 42
I have 650s, SA5000s and W-10000s. For amps, I have an X-can v3, SM v3 and maxed MPX3. I also had a SR-71.

The 650s are my favorite headphones out of the 3 cans that I own. They truly shine with my MPX3, however, the MPX3 in my configuration costs $1800 more than the other amps you mentioned.

Out of the other 3 amps I have (or had), I would have to say that X-can is my favorite. IMO, the X-can, SM v3 and SR-71 are all comparable when it comes to performance, however I prefer the warmer sound signatore of the X-can. For home use, I also don't like dealing with 1/8" inputs or the fact that the SR-71 only ran off batteries.

I'm not going to lie to you. The 650s (and the rest of my headphones) sound significantly better with my MPX3. That being said, I feel that they sounded very good with all of the other amps I have or had. If you want portability and don't mind dealing with adapters and batteries you won' go wrong with the SM v3 or SR-71. If you can do w/o the portability, my choice would be the X-can.

May 18, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 42
All right. So I guess it seems that, in the end, they're all somewhat comparable, meaning that if I place any weight on portability on the SuperMacro, I should go with that one. Actually, seeing as the SR-71 is a contender, apparently, I should choose SuperMacro on the basis of its features, such as rechargeability and the four feature switches. All right!

Thank you very much. I can finally buy with confidence. I'll probably order within two weeks.

May 18, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosCow
All right. So I guess it seems that, in the end, they're all somewhat comparable, meaning that if I place any weight on portability on the SuperMacro, I should go with that one. Actually, seeing as the SR-71 is a contender, apparently, I should choose SuperMacro on the basis of its features, such as rechargeability and the four feature switches. All right!

Thank you very much. I can finally buy with confidence. I'll probably order within two weeks.

You can't go wrong with any of them. Definitely buy with confidence.

May 18, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #19 of 42
I had the rega ear (I think there are different verions and I had the NEW version) and used it together with my HD650. I didn't like it at all. Then I listened to the phones without an amp for a week and really felt there was a lot missing from what I had gotten used to.

Anyways, I got a X-Can V3 and it sounds much better than the rega ever did. But now I'm considering another amp now cause the X-Can doesn't seem to be such a good combination with HD650.... I'm posting/reading and trying to make up my mind.

May 18, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #20 of 42
The Rega Ear has totally improved my HD600s for fast paced music. They are dark sounding headphones and the Ear tighted the bass giving them more slam, rather than the muddy sound from my soundcard, and brought the highs forward making them better for rock music (also the main music that I listen to). For the price I couldn't imagine anything much better. I do however hear that the Gilmore Lite and ANT Amber are also good with the Senn HD6x0 series. The Ear changed the HD600s so that they are a slightly more attacking phone which I am very happy with.

May 18, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #21 of 42
The amps in this price range are probably closer in sound quality than you think. With the exception of the X-can, for which I have no information, I would think all of the amps in your list will work well with an HD650.

I have heard the HD650/ZU Mobius and stock cable with both the SR-71 and Rega Ear. Both amps mate well with the HD650 and I like them both. Between the two, the SR-71 provides more detail than the Ear, but you have to be carefully hearing for the difference to notice. The SR-71, however, is pitch black. This is important if you later want to try sensitive phones, like canal phones or Grados.

May 19, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I beg to differ. My 580 sings very well with the sr71.

Agreed, the SR-71 LOVES Sennheisers. I'm not sure where you got the impression that they aren't a good match, but it's very wrong...
tongue.gif

May 20, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosCow
NOTE: I left out the SR-71 because it seems less suitable for the HD650 than the SuperMacro, and thus, there would be no reason to take that one above it. Thanks!

[size=medium]WHAT?![/size]
[size=small]Where did you get the idea that the SR-71 is less suitable for the HD650???!!![/size]

[size=x-small]The sound that the SR-71 moves through a well-burned-in HD650 (300+ hours in my personal experience) is absolutely gorgeous ... huge, spacious, lush, extended but neither bloated at the bottom nor excessive at the top ... resplendent with inner detail, air, texture, width-depth-dimension ... and the SR-71's synergy with the HD650 creates a very seductive and immersive sonic experience.[/size]

[size=small]By all means, do not leave this amp out of your considerations.[/size]

May 20, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie
Check out the Woo Audio 3. SET magic! Built and designed with the HD650 in mind.

Rodent

Just in case I wanted to burn some more cash, where does the WooAudio 3 stack up in comparison to the PPX3? Nobody seems to have compared them, at least where I've looked.

Oh, and I heartily apologize for my comments on the SR-71. I don't know where I got that impression, and I will not make the mistake of saying that ever again.

Thanks for all your help!

May 20, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #28 of 42
I agree with Romanee I can not think of a better headphone match to the SR-71 than the HD650. The sound is exceptionally well balanced with the highs, mids and bass complimenting each other instead of over stepping and getting in each others way.
This is my preferred setup and I can listen to it for hours of at a time with no problems.

May 20, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Romanee,
You are mighty colorful this morning
evil_smiley.gif

[size=small]Hi, Mitty! {!!! i-m-mitty ... are u Walter Mitty?! ... [/size][size=x-small]old film ref 4 u young-uns[/size][size=small]}

Actually it was late last nite (nite owl) ... I must have been having very color-ful dreams.
k1000smile.gif
[/size]

{somehhow my syntax seems to have been weird, too ... or maybe I'm just too tired now... "By all means, do not leave this amp out of your considerations."... is there a true grammarian out there who can comment on/improve the phrase?
Zzzzz-z-z-z-z-z...}

May 20, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #30 of 42
I have found the Woo3 to work well with the 650's. It is nicely extended with solid bass and fairly transparent. The SuperMacro V3 with the AD797 opamp, also does very well, being a bit more extended top to bottom than the SR71 all the while providing a black background and an open soundscape.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back