YES!!! monster Beats Solo ARE AMAZINGG...Not really, they are horrid
Jan 15, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #46 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denon2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hip Hop dosen't have real bass you know. think they use an electronic device or something to input the bass like Lil John and those other hard core songs that they use in car audio competition.

Then you clearly havnt heard good hip-hop, and also, just cause its electronic doenst mean it wont sound good. Hip-hop is a fully respected genre, appreciated by many audiophiles, and with good headphones it can sound just as amazing and complex as classical/jazz/rock/ect ect

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #47 of 145
It all depends what you have to compare with.
He have the stock Apple iBuds, so does not need all that to stand out above...
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #48 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a good reason not to buy one...

I'd suggesting waiting for the (I'm assuming based on the construction) more sturdy versions:

Oh no no no no, I have no plans to by a Dre Beats, not when the HD25-1 have been in my sights now for a while. I'd just like to try them out of sheer curiosity.

I like my portable headphones able to withstand a nuclear holocaust and could care less about how fashionable I look with them on (well, I wouldn't walk around with Grados or Porta Pros either though).

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #50 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by mildewonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you clearly havnt heard good hip-hop, and also, just cause its electronic doenst mean it wont sound good. Hip-hop is a fully respected genre, appreciated by many audiophiles, and with good headphones it can sound just as amazing and complex as classical/jazz/rock/ect ect

Ditto...

I love almost all genres of music (including hip hop) and can confirm that a good set of cans will do wonders for it... car subs don't do it justice, they just make the bass loud and boomy...

and for all the dissing going on about the Beats and Dr Dre... Dre makes well recorded albums (whether you like his music is a whole different issue)... so I have no doubt that he knows what quality equipment sounds like... Chances are high that before he started making money with Monster, he was probably using some Senn H650s, AKG 701s or other respected audiophile Cans.... So don't confuse the usual marketing ploys used in the beats commercial with whether the makers know anything about good sound...

And as I've said before: with the exception of the beats Solo, the others have gotten good reviews from sites that also review the usual audiophile approved cans...

I suspect many Head-fiers aren't giving the beats a fair chance... if they bother to listen at all, then they hear one track in best buy (on some terrible source and amplification) and dismiss them as overpriced... Yet those same persons would buy a pair of 'audiophile' cans, pair them with $3K in electronics and let them burn in for 200 hours before being willing to make a comment on their sound quality...

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #51 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denon2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually from what I read on review sites etc. These are good sounding cans, it has bass born for music such as RAP and Hip Hop etc.

And who exactly wrote these reviews? I'm assuming people that aren't as experienced in "good sound"

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #52 of 145
So - the beats are a mass market consumer device. Lololol funny video, etc.

It did get me thinking, however, about a few features they have;
  1. Foldable
  2. Single cord
  3. In-line Mic
  4. Push button for calls/etc

Those are nice, convenient features.

Here's the thought - is it possible to mod a good, low impedance set of headphones to deliver those features, without compromising quality and dipping down to the quality level of something like these dr dre headphones.

I was thinking of the Beyer DJ headphones to start with, but I have zero knowledge of cabling so I don't know how feasible it would be to do something like this.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #53 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And who exactly wrote these reviews? I'm assuming people that aren't as experienced in "good sound"

You assume wrong:

Monster Beats by Dr DRE review Headphone review - from the experts at whathifi.com

Monster Beats Tour Headphone review - from the experts at whathifi.com

These guys also review ultra-expensive Hi-Fi (whether top of the line speakers and electronics or Headphones - they've reviewed the Senn HD800, Grado GS1000i, etc...)

CNET also reviewed them:

Monster Beats by Dr. Dre headphones Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews

In addition to reviewing the Senn HD800, AKG K701, etc etc....

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #55 of 145
Celebrities are no different than normal people when it comes to buying things they have no idea about. They probably buy whatever is most expensive they can find in retail but I could be wrong and maybe Monster just gave them out to celebrities as a marketing strategy

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #56 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by eneloquent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So - the beats are a mass market consumer device. Lololol funny video, etc.

It did get me thinking, however, about a few features they have;
  1. Foldable
  2. Single cord
  3. In-line Mic
  4. Push button for calls/etc

Those are nice, convenient features.

Here's the thought - is it possible to mod a good, low impedance set of headphones to deliver those features, without compromising quality and dipping down to the quality level of something like these dr dre headphones.

I was thinking of the Beyer DJ headphones to start with, but I have zero knowledge of cabling so I don't know how feasible it would be to do something like this.

Not as difficult as you might think. The M-Audio Q40, for example, ticks the top two of those features and sounds a lot better than the beats (from a direct comparison at best buy). It is also built about 25x better. This microphone adapter/iphone remote ticks the bottom two checkboxes. Bonus points for re-terminating the M-Audio cable to a good length for that adapter. Also, you can have several sets of cables since they're detachable and about $10 each.

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #57 of 145
Quote:

Ditto...

I love almost all genres of music (including hip hop) and can confirm that a good set of cans will do wonders for it... car subs don't do it justice, they just make the bass loud and boomy...

and for all the dissing going on about the Beats and Dr Dre... Dre makes well recorded albums (whether you like his music is a whole different issue)... so I have no doubt that he knows what quality equipment sounds like... Chances are high that before he started making money with Monster, he was probably using some Senn H650s, AKG 701s or other respected audiophile Cans.... So don't confuse the usual marketing ploys used in the beats commercial with whether the makers know anything about good sound...

And as I've said before: with the exception of the beats Solo, the others have gotten good reviews from sites that also review the usual audiophile approved cans...

I suspect many Head-fiers aren't giving the beats a fair chance... if they bother to listen at all, then they hear one track in best buy (on some terrible source and amplification) and dismiss them as overpriced... Yet those same persons would buy a pair of 'audiophile' cans, pair them with $3K in electronics and let them burn in for 200 hours before being willing to make a comment on their sound quality...

Dr. Dre mixes with studio monitors (like everyone else, seriously, people do not sit their on headphones mixing). Furthermore, he usually tests a song out "in his truck" to see if it sounds right.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #58 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatdynamo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dr. Dre mixes with studio monitors (like everyone else, seriously, people do not sit their on headphones mixing). Furthermore, he usually tests a song out "in his truck" to see if it sounds right.

Mixing with studio monitors doesn't mean he doesn't also use cans (many persons use both)...

And an appreciation of what quality gear sounds like, can come from using either speakers or cans....

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #59 of 145
If anything, those headphones look pretty nice. If aesthetics were their aim, then I think they accomplished their goal. Unfortunately the sound quality can't match up to the looks.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #60 of 145
Quote:

You assume wrong:

Monster Beats by Dr DRE review Headphone review - from the experts at whathifi.com

Monster Beats Tour Headphone review - from the experts at whathifi.com

These guys also review ultra-expensive Hi-Fi (whether top of the line speakers and electronics or Headphones - they've reviewed the Senn HD800, Grado GS1000i, etc...)

CNET also reviewed them:

Monster Beats by Dr. Dre headphones Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews

In addition to reviewing the Senn HD800, AKG K701, etc etc....

Precisely what I meant.

These headphones for celebrity stuff its actually damn good.

Offcourse I won't buy them over my denon D2000 but nevertheless there are far worst stuff than this like a bose etc

Also Dr. Dre is one of the best producers of all time. He once made someone sing a song over 100 times to get it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back