Yes, Another Grado Thread....
Aug 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

matz2

New Head-Fier
You guys have me convinced to purchase a set of Grado cans over the Sennheiser HD-555s.  Here is some background information before I ask my questions:

1.  They will be used mostly with an iPod and a nuforce icon moblie amp and PC (looking to upgrade my sound card).

2.  Sources will include higher quality mp3s, flac and apple lossless.

Questions:

1.  Should I purchase the Grado SR-80i with the large replacement pads for $120 or should I just go for the SR-125i for $150 ($170 with pads).

2.  Do the SR-125 include the large replacement pads?

3.  Can the iPod and PC drive the SR-125 well?

4.  Can you recommend a quality sound card for a decent price?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 38
Personal list of what to look at in the grado lineup:
SR-60
RS-1
HF-2
HP-1000
PS-1

The Allesandro MS-1 is another very strong contender :)

skip everything else. 

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 38
Slightly OT but on the subject of Grados, I found this SR125 review on a Russian site that was linked to in the Fostex T50RP thread. What interests me is the FR curve. It's significantly flatter than Headroom's and looks more like what I hear from my SR80. It supports my view that Grados are more neutral than they're often given credit for.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 38

Quote:
What interests me is the FR curve. It's significantly flatter than Headroom's and looks more like what I hear from my SR80. It supports my view that Grados are more neutral than they're often given credit for.

Not really. If you compare both graphs, both have the same peaks and dips in the FR. One is just less detailed than the other, but still similar nonetheless. With my grados, I don't think that they are neutral, being aggressive and all..They still sound awesome though.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 38

Quote:
If you compare both graphs, both have the same peaks and dips in the FR.

But not of the same magnitude, which is my point. I feel that HR's curve exaggerates the upper-mid rise (as heard with proper supra-aural positioning of the pads.) HR is at +5 dB at 4 KHz. The Russian curve looks like it goes up around 3 dB there. The midbass hump is also smaller on the Russian plot.

I have a kind of external standard now in my Ety MC5s which are specifically designed to be neutral. They sound considerably more like my SR80 than I expected- the Grado is just slightly brighter and slightly bassier. Frankly this surprised me when I first listened to the Ety. Of course, proper positioning of the Grado bowl earpads plays a significant role in this- wear them far enough back to go around the ear and indeed the sound becomes aggressive and unbalanced.

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 38
My favorite SR Series Grado is the SR225, which is what I picked after hearing basically the entire line at a local shop.  I think it's worth the extra $50 over the 125.   It is also smoother and less bright than the 325.  If you can't justify the price of the 225, the SR80 would be my budget choice.

As far as pads, Sennheiser HD414 pads fit Grados perfectly, are softer and more comfortable than anything Grado sells, and are easily moddable to tune brightness.  They are about $10 on Ebay or at BH Photo.

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 38
Thanks but the budget doesn't support the SR225.  I don't even think my current set up would support the additional expense nor would i gain much benefit from the upgrade.  Anyone else care to tackle my questions?

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 38
I would start at the bottom to see if you like the Grado sound- 60i + a set of bowls. It's what I would do myself if my 80s died. Grado's decision to sell the 80i with comfies has eliminated the main reason why I bought 80s rather than 60s back in the day (when the 80s came with bowls.)

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 38

Quote:
SR-60
RS-1
HF-2
HP-1000
PS-1

skip everything else. 

Didn't like the 225?  Interesting.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 38

Quote:
But not of the same magnitude, which is my point. I feel that HR's curve exaggerates the upper-mid rise (as heard with proper supra-aural positioning of the pads.) HR is at +5 dB at 4 KHz. The Russian curve looks like it goes up around 3 dB there. The midbass hump is also smaller on the Russian plot.

I have a kind of external standard now in my Ety MC5s which are specifically designed to be neutral. They sound considerably more like my SR80 than I expected- the Grado is just slightly brighter and slightly bassier. Frankly this surprised me when I first listened to the Ety. Of course, proper positioning of the Grado bowl earpads plays a significant role in this- wear them far enough back to go around the ear and indeed the sound becomes aggressive and unbalanced.

I was gonna say I was surprised you found the MC5 similar to the Grados.  Reading your positioning explains it completely.   

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 38
i can personally recommend the 225I, i just rebought them after 3months without them. i originally owned the 80I, and upgraded. and the 225I is the best in the lineup in my opinion well worth the pricetag. and it will work fine with your ipod thats how i use mine all the time.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 38

Quote:
SR-60
RS-1
HF-2
HP-1000
PS-1

skip everything else. 

Eactly 50% of your recommendation are not available to buy (HF-2 being borderline..). :p

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 38

Quote:
I was gonna say I was surprised you found the MC5 similar to the Grados.  Reading your positioning explains it completely.   

And that's  why I keep harping on the positioning thing. People who haven't experimented with positioning don't know that Grados are capable of much more accurate sound than they're usually given credit for. (Of course if somebody likes the "fun" sound from wearing the bowls around the ears, they're perfectly entitled to that preference. It's just that they're also more versatile than that.)

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 38

Quote:
 Eactly 50% of your recommendation are not available to buy (HF-2 being borderline..). :p

Continuing the trend of the HF-1, HF-2 will be available weekly on the FS forum for at least a year after they stop making them. Considering that there are more HF-2 than HF-1 probably longer.

On the average, at least 1 pair of HP-1000 has come up for sale every 6 weeks for the past 4 years. This does include audio-gon and ebay, but if you really want something you know where to look... Ooh, and craigslist.

The PS-1 is harder. 

All it takes is a little patience and 5 out of 6 are obtainable. The cash outlay does suck though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back