Yeah I'm Pretty Angry
Aug 8, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #62 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could they really offer it at a "reasonably lower" price that's still higher than the cost of a pair of HD600 grills? Really, a pair of grills and one becomes the other. I bet they never intended to keep the two models going at the same time...the 600s were intended to take up the role of the 580s.

They sold both for several years. I'm not sure how long the offered both, it's hard to remember. If they had intended the HD600 to replace the HD580 you'd think they would have done the replacement faster.

The only people replacing the grill are head-fiers who like to mod. Normal people don't and it's normal people who buy the majority of the headphones. I don't see the price of the HD580 + HD600 grill combo being less than the cost of the HD600 to be a real problem for Sennheiser. Having the HD580 overlap the price point for the HD595 would be more of a problem.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #63 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the pads on your 580 and 600 the same? One having ear pads that are more worn than the other could affect the sound in such a comparison.

If there is a sonic difference between the 580 and 600 it is beyond my ability to hear or care about the difference. If I have to concentrate and focus to a high degree and delude myself just to hear a difference between two headphones or two pieces of gear then to me the two are effectively the same.

They share the same pads,and the difference between them is smaller than the difference that they share compared to the HD650,but it exists.I don't know if two HD600 would sound different too(probably they would).But as you say,it really pays to buy the HD580 nowadays.They're just a tad uglier than the HD600.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #64 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously all headphone produced HD580, HD600, HD800 will all cost very similar in production and labor.

I am not sure this is correct.

I visited Senn's U.S. HQ in Old Lyme, CT, and chatted with the engineer who runs the place (#1 parking spot, fine sports car). He said the HD800 gets much more manual "by hand craft" than any other HP they make -- hence the price and the supply shortage.

He also said that after-market cables and balancing the HD600 or HD650 makes no audible difference in his tests. I told him he was flat out wrong, and that most likely he was not using a good enough headphone amp in his tests.

He was not swayed.

Let me add that he, and everyone at Senn USA, is unbelievably friendly and customer-oriented. Amazing, actually. They have no reason to give me the time of day when I show up at the front door randomly, which I have done more than once, but they always treat me well.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #65 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of interest why do you own both? What led to you purchasing and keeping both headphones?

If you want to have two people listen out of the same amp it is best to have two headphones that are the same.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #66 of 108
....and just to guide some lost souls here,both phones sound miles better than lower impedance(and price) Sennheisers,whether amped or not.

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #68 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basic economics of supply & demand:

1. Many audiophiles still prefer the HD600 over the newer HD650, so demand for the HD600's remains high, and therefore their price.
2. HD580's are discontinued, but basically the same headphone as the more expensive HD600, so even used they retain their value well.
3. By the same token, the price for HD650's has dropped considerably, very close to HD600 levels.

*ding* *ding* *ding*

We have a winnah. Someone who can actually think and apply basic economics.

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #69 of 108
Quote:

If you want to have two people listen out of the same amp it is best to have two headphones that are the same.

If you want them to listen at the same volume! Women (well the ones who will listen with me, anyway) always want the music less loud, so a good trick is to give them the less efficient phones. You're using a Y cable?

I finally had built a dual his-and-her amp for me (by QES Labs, in Italy). Two independent listeners, two volume controls.

http://www.qeslabs.com/hpba2tc.html

hpba2tc_front2.jpeg

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #70 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally had built a dual his-and-her amp for me (by QES Labs, in Italy). Two independent listeners, two volume controls.

hpba2tc_front2.jpeg

Wow, you're a nice guy. Please don't ever talk to my girlfriend or I will be sending a check to someplace in italy.....

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #71 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you're a nice guy. Please don't ever talk to my girlfriend or I will be sending a check to someplace in italy.....

We talk all the time ... she says she would love you more (!!) if you gave her Denon's (women do love 'em) and also let her set the volume control (she knows you won't buy the dual attenuator unit -- she would rather you spend the money on her anyway!).

The merchants in Italy know better than to trust a Jersey Guy -- they only take wire transfers, no checks!

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #72 of 108
Quote:

He also said that after-market cables and balancing the HD600 or HD650 makes no audible difference in his tests. I told him he was flat out wrong, and that most likely he was not using a good enough headphone amp in his tests.

In listening, I found pretty much the same thing. A bridged amp makes a difference (and a number of balanced amps are bridged) but balancing, in itself, didn't help much. The aftermarket cables looked pretty, but didn't do anything soundwise.

Which is why I sold the HD-600, HD-650 and my aftermarket cables to buy the HD-800. I run it single ended with the stock cable and am completely happy with it.

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #73 of 108
Quote:

If you want them to listen at the same volume! Women (well the ones who will listen with me, anyway) always want the music less loud, so a good trick is to give them the less efficient phones. You're using a Y cable?

Back then I was using a Y cable for dual listening times. Back then I was using a home stereo integrated amp to drive the headphones. The headphone plug used resistors off the main power amp. That setup didn't like having two different headphones with different impedance plugged in at the same time. It affected the tone of the headphones. Now that I'm using a proper headphone amp that has two jacks it is not such a big deal. The headphone amp is able to drive two different impedance headphones at the same time without the tone problems. Still, using identical headphones means each is at the same volume if that's what you want.

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #74 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... A bridged amp makes a difference (and a number of balanced amps are bridged) but balancing, in itself, didn't help much...

Is the Beta 22 bridged?

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #75 of 108
Quote:

...The headphone plug used resistors off the main power amp. That setup didn't like having two different headphones with different impedance plugged in at the same time...

Really good point -- I missed that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back