Yarra Speaker System
Jul 2, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #151 of 291
A couple of backers report having received their shipping notifications. I have received none, although I am a backer of two sets. I am also wondering why this thread is so quiet, when shipping has supposedly begun.

Are there others who have, or have not, received their shipping notifications? I would like to have some idea as to the order in which they are shipping the units. I am located in the USA, and backed my first Yarra set on November 13th, 2017, and my 2nd set on April 30th, 2018.

Thanks.
I received this update from Kickstarter on 6/28 regarding US shipments and other details:
We are happy to announce that YARRA 3DX shipments have commenced.

ALL YARRA 3DX units bound for the USA have been scheduled for container delivery and will arrive in Los Angeles on July 22nd via ocean transport. After clearing customs, the container will be transferred to the FedEx shipping terminal in Los Angeles. Individual US tracking notifications will be sent out once FedEx provides local delivery tracking numbers (after July 22nd).

For the rest of world, the shipment process has commenced and tracking numbers are being sent out as each package is pushed to the shipper of record for each country. Many backers have already received shipment notifications. Units will be arriving at some locations as early as July 5th, and we expect that all rest of world deliveries will be completed by July 20th.

Next week Comhear will unveil the YARRA 3DX support site which will provide in depth information about how to setup your YARRA 3DX, operational tips, and support options. Further information regarding the support site will be forthcoming within the week.

We appreciate your support of this first generation Comhear consumer product and your continued patience.

Comhear Inc. – Customer Support

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #152 of 291
I received this update from Kickstarter on 6/28 regarding US shipments and other details:
We are happy to announce that YARRA 3DX shipments have commenced.

ALL YARRA 3DX units bound for the USA have been scheduled for container delivery and will arrive in Los Angeles on July 22nd via ocean transport. After clearing customs, the container will be transferred to the FedEx shipping terminal in Los Angeles. Individual US tracking notifications will be sent out once FedEx provides local delivery tracking numbers (after July 22nd).

For the rest of world, the shipment process has commenced and tracking numbers are being sent out as each package is pushed to the shipper of record for each country. Many backers have already received shipment notifications. Units will be arriving at some locations as early as July 5th, and we expect that all rest of world deliveries will be completed by July 20th.

Next week Comhear will unveil the YARRA 3DX support site which will provide in depth information about how to setup your YARRA 3DX, operational tips, and support options. Further information regarding the support site will be forthcoming within the week.

We appreciate your support of this first generation Comhear consumer product and your continued patience.

Comhear Inc. – Customer Support

Thanks @mikemav . For some reason, I do not have this update in my mailbox, although I usually receive all the correspondence from Yarra. I must have deleted mine inadvertently.

That said, I think "after July 22" is the essential thing to note here.

Thanks again.

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #153 of 291
As I understand it, all the YARRA 3DX units arrived at a Chinese shipper in June. So I believe all orders will be shipped at approximately the same time.

According to Comhear, the USA destined YARRA 3DX units will arrive by ship into the port of Los Angeles on July 22. When the units are transferred to Fedex, Comhear said they will send us an email with the tracking number.

USA customers will probably be the last customers to receive their YARRAs as it looks like all or at least most people in other countries - Canada, Mexico, European and Australia will be receiving
their YARRAs through HK Post (air).

I am in California. I did not get any email from Fedex regarding shipping like some other US customers did, so I logged into my existing but somewhat dormant Fedex account and updated settings to get shipping info sent to me.

2 days later, still having received no info from Fedex, I logged in again and selected TRACKING and then ADVANCED SHIPPING TRACKING.
This resulted in my being able to see that Fedex had received LABEL CREATED info from Comhear on 6/12/2019

So I now have the Fedex tracking number.

You may be able to see your Fedex tracking number before Comhear sends it to you be creating a Fedex account, waiting a few days and then searching your Fedex account as I described above.

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #154 of 291
As I understand it, all the YARRA 3DX units arrived at a Chinese shipper in June. So I believe all orders will be shipped at approximately the same time.

According to Comhear, the USA destined YARRA 3DX units will arrive by ship into the port of Los Angeles on July 22. When the units are transferred to Fedex, Comhear said they will send us an email with the tracking number.

USA customers will probably be the last customers to receive their YARRAs as it looks like all or at least most people in other countries - Canada, Mexico, European and Australia will be receiving
their YARRAs through HK Post (air).

I am in California. I did not get any email from Fedex regarding shipping like some other US customers did, so I logged into my existing but somewhat dormant Fedex account and updated settings to get shipping info sent to me.

2 days later, still having received no info from Fedex, I logged in again and selected TRACKING and then ADVANCED SHIPPING TRACKING.
This resulted in my being able to see that Fedex had received LABEL CREATED info from Comhear on 6/12/2019

So I now have the Fedex tracking number.

You may be able to see your Fedex tracking number before Comhear sends it to you be creating a Fedex account, waiting a few days and then searching your Fedex account as I described above.

Swell! I already had a Fedex account, so I took a peek on the "Advanced Tracking" page as recommended and BAM! ; Now I have Tracking numbers for my two Yarra sets, with shipping status marked as "Pending" for both.

Thanks, man. This is cool!

Jul 9, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #156 of 291
Hello, folks.

Still waiting on my Yarra too.
Some suggestions / food for thought re Dolby Atmos for when you receive your unit and are testing capabilities for media content other than music, i.e. games, films/TV etc.

Background / Context:

Much was made during the initial stages of the campaign (somewhat misleadingly) about the capabilities of the Yarra to render object based 3D audio formats like Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D and DTS X, only for it later to be revealed that the Yarra would not natively decode either rather it could only convert or ‘interpret’ Atmos and similar such formats provided they had already been pre-binauralised into 2ch stereo form by the source device. People then started talking about using the forthcoming Smyth Realiser A16 to pre-binauralise Atmos for output via the Yarra.

Alternative / Interim substitute:

(- For those waiting for the Smyth Realiser but also those who aren’t inclined to fork out the considerable expense for one). This method probably won’t be as good as the Smyth Realiser combo but should, in principle, work in a very similar if not exactly the same way.

Users could try outputting Dolby Atmos content to the Yarra in the already pre-binauralised ‘Dolby Atmos for Headphones’ format. This wouldn’t require Mch surround output, just 2ch stereo and could be done via PC, Xbox One (or even some of the newer flagship cell phones that support Atmos such as the Razer Phone 2, One Plus 7 Pro and the Samsung Galaxy S9 and 10).

Source Content:

Aside from the obvious Atmos Blurays, one could try Atmos supported Netflix titles on Xbox One or the aforementioned, cell phones, Atmos supported games, or any of the free Atmos demo content from the Dolby Access app on Windows 10 or Xbox. The Dolby Access app is free but ‘Atmos for Headphones’ costs something like 15 bucks for a lifetime licence for multiple devices. However, there should also be a free trial of 30 days.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/apps/access/pc-xbox.html

For Netflix App on Windows 10 PC, I am unsure as to whether Atmos for Headphone specifically is supported yet. Atmos content is available and marked as such within the app and Atmos for headphone can of course be activated in the Windows sound settings (you can do that with any content anyway as for non-Atmos content it just works like an upgraded version of Dolby Headphone virtual surround), but during playback in the Netflix app itself, ‘5.1’ is the maximum that can be selected for the audio track in the App’s playback options with no mention of Atmos. . . I haven’t had a chance to test out any content where Atmos mixing would be obvious (stuff flying overhead etc.) but according to various forum reports recounting interactions with Netflix support, this ‘5.1’ setting is a compressed encoding of Atmos in a Dolby Digital Plus Container while some users have reported being told by support that Atmos for Headphones is only supported by Netflix on Xbox and not Netflix on Windows 10 PC. So, conflicting reports, so might be better to test Netflix Atmos for headphones on Xbox if in doubt and you have the console anyway.

Atmos Encoded Xbox and PC games:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/games.html

(- note support for Atmos in the PC version of Assassins Creed Odyssey was patched-out / removed a while after release so Atmos for Headphones in AC Origins is for Xbox One only)

Configuration of Sources:

Windows 10 PC:

You would just need to go to ‘spatial sound’ settings in the sound manager (right click on output device, then choose properties and it should be the tab furthest to the right) or alternatively, right click on the speaker icon in the system tray on the desktop and choose ‘spatial sound’ then Dolby Atmos. Doing the above will change speaker configuration to stereo in the windows sound manager but don’t worry, that’s how it’s supposed to work (don’t bother trying to set it back to multichannel as it won’t do anything other than automatically turn Atmos for Headphones OFF). Also note that Dolby Atmos is limited to sample rate / bit depth of 48khz / 16-bit by the Windows OS and enabling Atmos will set this parameter accordingly. If you then try and change it to something else, it will automatically DISABLE Atmos for headphone, so leave as is.

Xbox One:

You would just need to set Atmos for Headphone to output via HDMI or Optical in the audio settings and connect to Yarra accordingly.

Cell Phone:

Not sure as don’t have one that supports Atmos but presumably, once Atmos for Headphone is set in the audio settings, it should still work via simple Bluetooth or 3.5mm output to the Yarra.

So, if you’re remotely interested in Atmos via the Yarra, give it a whirl!
I have no idea how it will turn out and as soon as I get mine I will test and provide impressions. As it stands though, I don’t think there is any other currently mass commercially available way to do this via the Yarra yet as the Smyth A16 is still awaiting release. This method (assuming it works to at least some degree of satisfaction) would cost peanuts, wouldn’t require extra hardware in the middle and is free to test extensively at leisure for the 30 days of free trial. Furthermore, DTS X support is coming to Windows and Xbox soon and could also potentially be output via the Yarra in the same way although I could find no indication of whether the Windows implementation of DTS X will include the necessary headphone format as with Atmos to do so.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #158 of 291
I’d really appreciate if recipients could share their impressions of the supposed multichannel PCM surround (5.1 / 7.1 etc.) support.

Former campaign consultant / creator, Dr. Mark Waldrep said it would not be supported last year when somebody asked him on a forum, then this year Comhear said it would be supported (in their final spec sheet when they suddenly and ‘miraculously’ broke radio silence).

Keen for clarification. Is it supported and if so, via HDMI, USB or both?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #159 of 291
Thanks for posting your thoughts @SierraMadre !
I have 2 Yarra incoming (one arrived today at my wife's business, the other will hopefully arrive as well).
One will surve for my Mac, the other for my PC.
They will be connected to the Realiser A16's back RCA headphone outputs whenever that one comes in.
For the mean time I'll simply connect them to the phones out of both computers to keep it simple.

But what i wonder through:
- what kind of sound will you get via USB input which is what they indicate as the input to be used for computers in the manual?
- can one also output from PC/Mac to the HDMI in port and connect the HDMI out (Arc) port to the monitor and will that have impact on resolution and refresh rate?

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #160 of 291
Thanks for posting your thoughts @SierraMadre !
I have 2 Yarra incoming (one arrived today at my wife's business, the other will hopefully arrive as well).
One will surve for my Mac, the other for my PC.
They will be connected to the Realiser A16's back RCA headphone outputs whenever that one comes in.
For the mean time I'll simply connect them to the phones out of both computers to keep it simple.

But what i wonder through:
- what kind of sound will you get via USB input which is what they indicate as the input to be used for computers in the manual?
- can one also output from PC/Mac to the HDMI in port and connect the HDMI out (Arc) port to the monitor and will that have impact on resolution and refresh rate?

USB input would be linear PCM, the question is whether it will be limited to stereo or support multichannel pcm.

As for HDMI, yes you could do that. You would just set PC audio output to HDMI. The Yarra spec is HDMI 2.0a standard AFAIK, possibly 2.0b, so in terms of refresh rate / resolution you would only be limited by whatever the refresh rate / resolution ceiling of the relevant HDMI standard. 4K 60 and HDR should be fine. I wouldn’t bank on it successfully handling anything extra like AMD’s Freesync though.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #161 of 291
USB input would be linear PCM, the question is whether it will be limited to stereo or support multichannel pcm.

As for HDMI, yes you could do that. You would just set PC audio output to HDMI. The spec is HDMI 2.0a standard AFAIK, possibly 2.0b so in terms of refresh rate / resolution you would only be limited by whatever the refresh rate / resolution ceiling of the relevant HDMI standard. 4K 60 and HDR should be fine. I wouldn’t bank on it successfully handling anything extra like AMD’s Freesync though.

Thanks!
Yes, HDMI probably won't be the best solution as I have an RTX2080Ti and Ultrawide monitors, temporary ones for the moment to be replaced with the new 200Hz Asus G-Sync HDR model. Probably will never get that resolution and refresh rate through the Yarra.
I'll give USB and HDMI a try after the weekend though, have 3 days off then.

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #162 of 291
Thanks!
Yes, HDMI probably won't be the best solution as I have an RTX2080Ti and Ultrawide monitors, temporary ones for the moment to be replaced with the new 200Hz Asus G-Sync HDR model. Probably will never get that resolution and refresh rate through the Yarra.
I'll give USB and HDMI a try after the weekend though, have 3 days off then.

G-sync is display port only, presently won’t work at all via HDMI. To get sound to the Yarra in that instance, you would be best with USB or outputting *audio only* to the Yarra via HDMI while connecting the PC direct to the monitor via DisplayPort for the visual feed. That would also preserve access to the higher refresh rates that the Yarra HDMI does not support.

As an alternative, you could also output from PC via optical. This would be limited to 2 channel PCM or, if your PC supports it, Dolby Digital 5.1 (optical won’t carry higher than 2 channel PCM while Dolby Digital 5.1 is the only compressed surround format that the Yarra is able to natively decode).

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #163 of 291
G-sync is display port only, presently won’t work at all via HDMI. To get sound to the Yarra in that instance, you would be best with USB or outputting *audio only* to the Yarra via HDMI while connecting the PC direct to the monitor via DisplayPort for the visual feed. That would also preserve access to the higher refresh rates that the Yarra HDMI does not support.

As an alternative, you could also output from PC via optical. This would be limited to 2 channel PCM or, if your PC supports it, Dolby Digital 5.1 (optical won’t carry higher than 2 channel PCM while Dolby Digital 5.1 is the only compressed surround format that the Yarra is able to natively decode).

Didn't even think about that.
I'll install them via USB and later add them to the Realiser via RCA as well. That way I always have sound from both PC's and can get better 3D sound from one of both ath a time via the Realiser as I have to choose an input there.

Thanks for helping me figuring the setup out so fast!
Will install the first one I got Thursday, hopefully I get the second one by then as well, the shipped together.

Jul 9, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #164 of 291
If Dr. Mark Waldrep is watching this thread can you share in the setup that was used with the Smyth A8 realiser and the Yarra... or if anybody else might have the answer would be good too...

Jul 9, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #165 of 291
If Dr. Mark Waldrep is watching this thread can you share in the setup that was used with the Smyth A8 realiser and the Yarra... or if anybody else might have the answer would be good too...

I'd also like to get the input of @Dr AIX on this matter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back