Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Sep 9, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #571 of 1,351
Quote:

To those having trouble contacting the manufacturer, I speak Japanese (not brilliant but I can get by) and would be happy to help. Maybe I could craft a sample email or if there are a few people in the UK/Europe who want one I could try to arrange a bulk buy.

Very sporting of you Mojo
cool.gif

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #572 of 1,351
Well I can't promise it will be perfect but it will certainly be better than my Chinese friend's telephone manner at the karaoke parlour:

”すみませんが。。。。 厚いよ!!!”

They did turn the AC up a bit though so I suppose at least she was understood...

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #574 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get it.
smily_headphones1.gif

She said it was "thick(厚い)"?

”暑い”=hot
wink.gif

i was thinking the same thing...

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #577 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by lousyreeds1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

Has anyone tried to request a version without the speaker connectors, possibly at a discount? They are obviously of great quality, but they seem like a waste for most people's purposes.

This makes me think of asking whether anyone has found desktop speakers that match up nicely with the HA-02.

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #578 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronfint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This makes me think of asking whether anyone has found desktop speakers that match up nicely with the HA-02.

yeah, i'd like to know, too. seems like it's way underpowered to drive my inefficient wharfedales...any bookshelf speakers that sound good with the ha-02?

Sep 10, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #579 of 1,351
Has anyone tried the Zu Tone with these? Any other high efficiency speakers that would be candidates such as Horne Shoppe?

Sep 10, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #580 of 1,351
In regard to custom HA-02s:

I was talking to Shige-san months ago (by email in Japanese) and the impression I got was 1) He is incredibly busy with orders 2) He is firm in his design. I was actually asking about doing a custom colour on top of the HA-02 and he seems very set on his redish hue (because it matches the rest of his line). I agree it would be nice to get rid of the speaker connects and (for me) the 2-inputs but I guess that is not going to happen any time soon. While I don't consider myself an expert at Japanese culture (or the language for that matter) I know that to push him harder (by email or phone) would be the wrong thing to do. I'm guessing to him my question probably seemed illogical in the extreme. My strategy would be to meet him in person, get to know him, buy him a beer, etc., and then ask for a favor. Then, in my experience, the Japanese will go incredibly out of their way to please.

Just my $0.02

P.S. my japanese is good but as it turns out my electrical engineering Japanese sucks...

Sep 10, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #581 of 1,351
Good to know. For me, the double inputs are a necessity, and I can only assume that the same is the case for the speaker terminals for many of his domestic buyers. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," I guess...

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #582 of 1,351
I think Shige-san had it in his mind this unit would be used in an office enviro and that the speaker outputs would be used mostly for background music. And after living here for years, I know that having a huge speaker set up like we have in North America is rare, not for lack of money, but for lack of space. There is no need for huge amps, huge speakers, etc. Lots of low-watt esoteic designs floating around though.

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #583 of 1,351
Zebra,

Quote:

Has anyone tried the Zu Tone with these? Any other high efficiency speakers that would be candidates such as Horne Shoppe?

Having the Tones in my work office, I've not yet tried it, but probably should - if not for me, then for the cause of Head-Fi-dum
icon10.gif
! The next few days are going to be kind of busy, however, if time permits, I'll give it a go towards the end of the week and jot down my thoughts.

Surely Omegas, Fostex based, etc., speaker might fit the bill as well.

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #584 of 1,351
Wower,

Quote:

While I don't consider myself an expert at Japanese culture (or the language for that matter) I know that to push him harder (by email or phone) would be the wrong thing to do. I'm guessing to him my question probably seemed illogical in the extreme. My strategy would be to meet him in person, get to know him, buy him a beer, etc., and then ask for a favor. Then, in my experience, the Japanese will go incredibly out of their way to please.

Agreed and in line with my experience having worked in a Japanese company for 6+ years prior to moving to Asia.

In one sense, it is so refreshing to see someone so passionate about his work and workmanship and not willing to "compromise" what he believes to be a winning formula. And it appears that the market, by and large, agrees with him.

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #585 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if not for me, then for the cause of Head-Fi-dum
icon10.gif
!

Yes! Yes! Please take the plunge for head-fi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it appears that the market, by and large, agrees with him.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I wish I had used those exact same words. Sometimes I think Japan is its own little island of high-end audio. This certianly was the case back in the booming early 90s when every Japanese had money. Accuphase, Arcolink, etc., these brands don't get out much but are a bargain when buying in Yen. They highlight Japanese mastery over engineering and details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back