Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Sep 12, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #601 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a pair of spare bookshelf speakers with 88dB sensitivity...would the ha-02 be able to drive these? i guess i'll know for sure in a couple of days when my yamamoto arrives
smily_headphones1.gif

I doudt it, but then they might have a kinder impedance "slope" than the ones I tried ... :frowning2:

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #602 of 1,351
Burn-in report.

At about 40 hours the HA-02's bass sounds very different. It's huge actually. I'm hoping it will settle into a more refined state, but it's nice to know that the W2002 is capable of this much bass. The Yammy seems to extend lower than the M^3, though at this point it sort of lacks the glowing luminescent refinement typical of the W2002's lower end.

Tonight I'll have another listen after about 20 hours of pink noise.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #604 of 1,351
Kugino,

Quote:

Today 01:32 PM kugino wrote:
holy crap, my ha-02 arrives tomorrow!!
eek.gif

Kugino before hearing about his Yammy's arrival (based on your location being "in the desert") -
tumbleweed.gif
, and

Kugino after hearing the news
yahoo.gif

Good for you mate and hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #605 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kugino,

Kugino before hearing about his Yammy's arrival (based on your location being "in the desert") -
tumbleweed.gif
, and

Kugino after hearing the news
yahoo.gif

Good for you mate and hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Garry

thanks garry! i'm gonna steal that cactus smiley (that's actually how i look these days after months of 100+ degree weather)

will post impressions tomorrow (hopefully)

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #606 of 1,351
Quote:

holy crap, my ha-02 arrives tomorrow!!
eek.gif

May it bring you much joy!

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #607 of 1,351
Kugino,

Quote:

thanks garry! i'm gonna steal that cactus smiley (that's actually how i look these days after months of 100+ degree weather)

will post impressions tomorrow (hopefully)

Steal away mate - looking forward to your impressions as well.

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #608 of 1,351
just arrived and i just hooked it up. man, it's beautiful. it needs repeating: it's beautiful.

there's a loose screw inside somewhere that i need to re-attach when i find the time to open it up...but i'm letting it warm up for a quick listen soon...(drool).

update: initial impression with k701 is that the amp is fantastic with midrange and provides warmth and richness to vocals and mid-bass instruments. the amp is dead quiet with the k701, even with the volume all the way up and no signal going in...i'm not thrilled with the highs (yet), but i need to listen a bit more.

i could see how a big, flabby headphone might not be the perfect mate for this amp, as it would be too much, IMO. but something relatively dry and analytical like the k701 becomes much more fun to listen to with the ha-02. i really need to get me a pair of woody cans to see what y'all are talking about...

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #609 of 1,351
Quote:

just arrived and i just hooked it up. man, it's beautiful. it needs repeating: it's beautiful.

there's a loose screw inside somewhere that i need to re-attach when i find the time to open it up...but i'm letting it warm up for a quick listen soon...(drool).

Its very exciting ounce you know the arrival date isnt it, I could not wait to get it home and open up to feast my eyes in the little buety, and then get it hooked up as fast as you can to get the burn in thing happening as soon as possible.

Mine is just over a week old now and has been burnig in fulltime and I'm enjoying listening to music on this little buety

Have fun Gav

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #610 of 1,351
Quote:

Zebra,

Having the Tones in my work office, I've not yet tried it, but probably should - if not for me, then for the cause of Head-Fi-dum
icon10.gif
! The next few days are going to be kind of busy, however, if time permits, I'll give it a go towards the end of the week and jot down my thoughts.

Surely Omegas, Fostex based, etc., speaker might fit the bill as well.

Cheers,
Garry

Hi Gary

Did you manage to check out the Tones with the HA-02

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #611 of 1,351
Quote:

Zebra,

Having the Tones in my work office, I've not yet tried it, but probably should - if not for me, then for the cause of Head-Fi-dum
icon10.gif
! The next few days are going to be kind of busy, however, if time permits, I'll give it a go towards the end of the week and jot down my thoughts.

Surely Omegas, Fostex based, etc., speaker might fit the bill as well.

Cheers,
Garry

Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! Yes! Please take the plunge for head-fi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Gary

Did you manage to check out the Tones with the HA-02

[size=small]For all those (and you know who you are) who’ve been wondering how the Yammy would fare when paired with speakers, I decided that today would be “bring your Yammy to work day”.[/size]
[size=small]As the Yammy is used to working the afternoon and graveyard shift, she was a bit put off by having to do OT. When I advised that this was for the cause / advancement of Head/Hi-Fi, she dutifully snapped to attention and said "Hai!" (Hai =Yes - she's [/size][size=small]Japanese as you know) . . . on one condition – that I pick a cup of Java for her as well . . . [/size]

[size=small](See attached images)[/size]

[size=small]With that out of the way, it was time to get down to business. Running into the Yammy is my Leonardo 9.3 via single end Audio Quest King Cobra interconnects. Speakers were Zu Tone’s @ 96 db efficiency and AAD PPM1s @ 89db efficiency that, fortunately, were on hand for comparison. With the PMM1s, it was clear right away that it wasn’t going to gel and after about 9 to 10 on dial, things went pair shaped real fast . Out with the PMM1s and in with the Tones. For kicks, I decided to add my REL R205 sub to the mix with a high level (speaker taps) connection. The following comments/observations reflect the Yammy / Tone combo.[/size]

[size=small]Well, well, well, now this is more like it . . . toe tapping – check, head nodding – check, “never heard that before” moments – check, etc., etc. Connected to the Tones, with the volume @ 9 things were plenty loud and more than sufficient for BGM. Wanting to see how loud things could go before breakup /clipping set in, while the staff was out at lunch, I proceeded to rock out a bit with some INXS and Jamiroquai. On these and the other CDs sampled the Yammy bugs out between 11.5 and 12 on dial – although with very light acoustic music 12.5 was OK. I must admit to my surprise at just how loud things were at this volume. It’s clear to me that only high efficiency speakers need apply for this job.[/size]

[size=small]The Yammy throws a nice full soundstage, with the trademark warm and airy sound we’ve all come to love using it with cans. As expected, the mid-range is the star of the show. Lot’s of air and space around the instruments with bags and bags of lush tone (no pun intended). Bass was OK and, in fact, better than expected with lots of snap and pop, but a bit lacking in ultimate depth and grunt. Surely having the REL on hand helped wring out the deeper bass heard. [/size][size=small]Instruments were easily discernable in their appropriate place in the overall soundstage. Mind you, this was not super pinpoint placement, but rather a nice smooth blending together without being smeared. Width was great, however depth was only fair. That said, with BGM the intended duty, this is more than acceptable.[/size]

[size=small]Voices seems extremely natural and exhibited a bit more breath (if that makes sense) than over my dual Pathos. Strings, winds and acoustic music sounded superb with lots of detail on hand. Listening to Olivia Ong (A Girl meets Bossanova 2 – Incense Record), I found her voice to be utterly smooth and seductive
500000033.gif
. She was in the room with me – good thing everyone else was out to lunch . Sampling my new favourite CD Now the Green Blade Riseth (XRCD, Prorious/JVC Victor), things got even better. This is an absolutely beautiful collection of Swedish Choral music performed by the Stockholm Cathedral Choir that has been recorded to the highest standard. The lovely choir set against the wafting and waning of strings and winds was breathtaking. The subtlety and texture of individual instruments (oboes / flutes / organs / strings) coming in and out of the foreground was equally impressive.[/size]

[size=small]While listening to this CD, my lovely assistant returned to the office with lunch and was equally impressed. She, a Buddhist, was so smitten by the sound that she converted on the spot
pray.gif
! So I gave her the Papal blessing and sent her on her way. Seriously though, it is clear that this is really where the Yammy shines and I now can understand the why the 2 channel-ers hold the rest of the Yamamoto line in such high regard. [/size]

[size=small]So, for the record, when all is said and done, I have no doubt that those contemplating hooking up speakers to the Yammy for BGM will no doubt be quite happy.[/size]

[size=small]Cheers, [/size]
[size=small]Garry[/size]

[size=small]Edit: 1st image is picture of Corda Opera that had the day off.[/size]

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #612 of 1,351
Thats realy great news, and thanks for taking the time to do the review I thoughrly enjoyed reading your post, Oh and ill have to check out that CD of Swedish Choral music it sounds great.

cheers Gav

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #613 of 1,351
Great impressions GarryH.

It really is a special and versatile little amp.

I've currently got my Yammy driving a pair of newly acquired K1000 on the speaker outs. Volume between 9-10.5 and it sounds great :)

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #614 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats realy great news, and thanks for taking the time to do the review I thoughrly enjoyed reading your post, Oh and ill have to check out that CD of Swedish Choral music it sounds great.

cheers Gav

Thanks mate - glad you enjoyed it. One of my friends at a local high end HiFi dealer recommended that CD which was surprising as he's more into jazz and acoustic music. Do pick it up if you can . . . no doubt it would sound lovely over your kit.

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #615 of 1,351
Fing,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really is a special and versatile little amp.

I've currently got my Yammy driving a pair of newly acquired K1000 on the speaker outs. Volume between 9-10.5 and it sounds great :)

Spot on re: the Yammy's versatility . . . I can imagine how nice the K1000s sound and it would seem like a good match. Glad you're enjoying this combo.

Cheers,
Garry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back