Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Sep 8, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #556 of 1,351
Java / Gav,

Quote:

And remember they need 20 minutes or so to warm up and really start singing, and the bass is where it looses out the most when cold, so start with bass light material, to give it a chance to start singing, the move on - or do as my friend does, put a cd on, and just let it play, before he starts listening, to avoid a cold start to the listing session ... , me, I just start listening, read/answer my e-mail, and when I am finished the Yammy is already singing beautifully ... , then I sit back, relax and enjoy!!!
biggrin.gif

Agrree and well said mate
thumbs_up.gif

Quote:

Dunno about camera's, but I'm sure Garry will be pleased to offer you a cup of tea ... <
wink.gif

13-00000014.gif
13-00000014.gif
13-00000014.gif

In fact, let's see . . . how about -

kaffeetrinker_2.gif
kaffeetrinker_2.gif
kaffeetrinker_2.gif
A good, hot, cuppa, of java is always most welcome, be it
french press, expresso, or mbriki. A good pot of Earl Grey,
will do just fine as well. Black with two sugar.
kaffeetrinker_2.gif
kaffeetrinker_2.gif
kaffeetrinker_2.gif

Where, oh where did I see this ???????????????????

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 8, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #557 of 1,351
OK I need another amp like I need a spike in the head...but this thread is intriguing...

I've gone through my deranged acquisition phase, and am now going the other direction to optimize around L3000 and W5000. (Thought about selling W5000, but for certain music - classical/opera - that I'm dabbling in, I like the W5000 so I'm keeping it. L3000, of course, is fantastic for jazz/rock that I primarily listen to). No experience with tube amps, don't want to go off the deep end, maybe one to compliment. The HA-02 seems to fit the bill, especially that I am ending up AT-centric.

A couple of quick questions:

1. I get a good sense of HA-02 with W5000 by reading this thread, any impressions with L3000? I would appreciate comments from people who actually tried L3000 + HA-02, because L3000 is quite different from W5000.

2. I tried emailing (shige-y@ mh1.117.ne.jp) to enquire about ordering/total shipping, a few basic questions. No response for a couple weeks. Should I try calling, but I suspect language may be barrier? How are people ordering outside US? (I'm in Hong Kong)

3. If I proceed, should I opt for 220V (someone in this thread seems to have done that), or just get normal 100V, and use step-down transformer (doing so with my HA5000, with absolutely no problem; my US ECSS was more finickly and ultimately had to get an equivalent 220v power supply to enjoy). I ask this, as I may eventually end back in the US.

Thanks for any input, and no thanks for luring me into this thread...

JimP

Sep 8, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #558 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. I tried emailing (shige-y@ mh1.117.ne.jp) to enquire about ordering/total shipping, a few basic questions. No response for a couple weeks. Should I try calling, but I suspect language may be barrier? How are people ordering outside US? (I'm in Hong Kong)

3. If I proceed, should I opt for 220V (someone in this thread seems to have done that), or just get normal 100V, and use step-down transformer (doing so with my HA5000, with absolutely no problem; my US ECSS was more finickly and ultimately had to get an equivalent 220v power supply to enjoy). I ask this, as I may eventually end back in the US.

JimP

Yes Yamamoto do make the amp in 220/240V configuration. When I contacted Mr Yamamoto he assured me that they had experience in making many amps in that voltage.
I found that he replied to my e-mails within a day or so but language is a barrier so if you're writing in English keep it short and to the point.

It also looks like they may be apointing agents in other countries, ie Australia.
If all else fails you could try contacting Brian at Venus HiFi. I think the amps are shipped straight from the factory to your address even if you buy through him. Price I think is pretty much the same.
Maybe worth a shot if you have no other luck.

Sep 8, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #559 of 1,351
Hi Jim,

Re: Q1 - Unfortunately - no luck with hearing the L3000s, but I'm willing to bet that they would sound terrific with the Yammy.

Re: Q2 - Keep on trying with the e-mail. Yamamato San uses an English translation software, so calling might not fit the bill.

Re: Q3 - You'd probably be OK with a step down xfmr. With the same thought in mind (heading back to the US), I posed the same question and Yamamoto San advised that I could always send it back to be rewired for whatever voltage necessary. Thus, with the desire to keep things simple and the likehood that I'll not be going back (I've recently become a HK permanent resident), I opted for 220V.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 8, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #560 of 1,351
Try agile_one he has the Yamamoto and the L3000.

Sep 8, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #561 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re: the S/N, mine has one on the bottom cover towards the back just under the speaker taps. It appears to be date code / production based with mine being #9.

Cheers,
Garry

looks like I'm #19

Sep 8, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #562 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Jim,

Re: Q1 - Unfortunately - no luck with hearing the L3000s, but I'm willing to bet that they would sound terrific with the Yammy.

Re: Q2 - Keep on trying with the e-mail. Yamamato San uses an English translation software, so calling might not fit the bill.

Re: Q3 - You'd probably be OK with a step down xfmr. With the same thought in mind (heading back to the US), I posed the same question and Yamamoto San advised that I could always send it back to be rewired for whatever voltage necessary. Thus, with the desire to keep things simple and the likehood that I'll not be going back (I've recently become a HK permanent resident), I opted for 220V.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Garry

My God! A post by GarryH without a single emoticon!

Sep 8, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #563 of 1,351
i'm hoping to receive mine by the end of next week (fingers crossed)...anyone here mate theirs with a stello da100? it will probably fit into my computer setup and i'll take my gs-1 to work to become part of my laptop/work rig...

if anyone's selling a woody AT, PM me, please!

Sep 8, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #564 of 1,351
Knockturne,

Quote:

My God! A post by GarryH without a single emoticon!

13-00000001.gif

Look ma - no emoticons!

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 8, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #566 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know where I could get one of these in Tokyo?

You could send wower a PM he is from Hokkaido which I think is in Japan

Sep 8, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #567 of 1,351
1. I find the HA-02 is quite good at bringing out the bass in a lot of headphones. For the L3000, this is not really needed and I actually find it a bit much. I don't find it such a great match as the dedicated AT amps. I prefer the DHA3000 and probably even the HA5000 to the HA-02 for this phone.
It's great for a Sony R10 though ;p

2. I emailed him about getting an amp to the UK and he sent me a quote within a few days. This was in March/April though. Perhaps, email again but keep it simple? I hear he uses a web translater or something.

3. My amp is 240V as I'm in the UK and I specified it as such at the time of ordering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. I get a good sense of HA-02 with W5000 by reading this thread, any impressions with L3000? I would appreciate comments from people who actually tried L3000 + HA-02, because L3000 is quite different from W5000.

JimP

Sep 9, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #570 of 1,351
Ah, thanks for the info guys. I really want one but am only here until the 20th. I was hoping to bring one back because otherwise I would have to pay massive import duty when it arrives by post in the UK.

I really wanted to listen to it as well. I have been auditioning amps for use with W5000s and had pretty much settled on the HA5000 until I read about this amp. The HA5000 is almost perfect to me, but I do like the slightly warmer/smoother tube sound. No tube amp I have yet tried has quite matched up to the HA5000 in other areas though.

To those having trouble contacting the manufacturer, I speak Japanese (not brilliant but I can get by) and would be happy to help. Maybe I could craft a sample email or if there are a few people in the UK/Europe who want one I could try to arrange a bulk buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back