Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Feb 13, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #616 of 1,563
Reading the impressions it sounds like this is a neutral analytical headphone on the brighter side rather than a natural musical full bodied headphone? Opposite of D8000? Is that correct?
That's my impression as well, but we can't really be sure until we audition it ourselves. Even if our impression is correct, the 5000SE seems very transparent, so the assumed neutral analytical nature could well be a good match with warmer gear (R2R, tubes).

Feb 13, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #617 of 1,563
The very first impression was "natural" and “more music than audio”.

Resolution:
Great. Every sound is visible. I found many nuances for the first time from my 20yrs-favorite recordings, say, the sound when a violinist’s left-hand finger taps the fingerboard, the clothes of the musicians, the vibration of open-G strings of the cello after the cellist removed the bow from the string, pedal on and off of the pianists, the very last moment of the reverb, small bell added behind drums, the unison of clarinet and flute, etc. Despite its high ability to separate each sound, it never disassembles the music. If I shift my focus from an instrument to the whole performance, it comes as a united organism.
One of my reference recordings is Symphonia Concertante of Mozart. In this piece, two soloists, Midori Goto and Nobuko Imai, play violin and viola in front of an orchestra. So there are lots of strings players on the stage. YH-5000SE differentiates not only the soloists and the orchestra but also the tonal difference of violin and viola of the soloists. Nobuko's sound is often considered "violin-like viola," and I used to think so, too. But through YH-5000SE, I changed this opinion. The tone is a viola's.

Soundstage:
Excellent. The soundstage quality is the most attractive feature of YH. Believe me, I use HD800S for daily listening, and even though I say this. The width may be a bit smaller than HD800s. Height is similar but not the highest (imo ak701y3 is the highest). Depth (front-and-rear direction, or Z axis) is the best in the three dimensions. Well, I wrote "soundstage quality". YH-5000se shows me where in the stage each of the players is, or, for pop and rock, what post-production engineers intended to place each musician. Not only side-by-side, but also front/rear and low/high relations. Say, in the above recording of Mozart, the double-bass section stays a bit right and behind the cello team. Normally I can see they stay right of the cellos. I found that I have missed front/rear information for more than a decade. For studio recording, for example in "Welcome to Japari Park", many "animal girls" sing and chant. Their positioning intended by the composer/guitarist/engineer Oishi is very clear. I found that he added his own small voice behind everything with small sound images. Ah, I wrote about the details too much. The 3D holographic reproduction takes me to the concert hall. I can see the orchestra on the stage from a center-middle seat, and it is also possible to find each instrument. This is what I expected for a long time.

Lows:
Against many comments on the relatively light bass, I find just enough bass. Well, I prefer "just enough" for everything. e.g. Lows of TH-909 is too much for me. It is punchier than HD800s, but not very loud. It is difficult to express the extent of bass, though; at least my ears are safe. More important for me is, again, the quality. In many headphone reviews, they say the separation of the kick drum and electric bass. For YH-5000SE, I didn't need to check that point because they were clearly different from each other. Drums are acoustic percussion, and EB is an electrically amplified string. They are different, aren't they? At first, I missed electric bass because it was too clear, and my brain judged it to be something else.

Mids:
The general impression is "as is". Lifelike and vivid. I can see how the vocalists move their lips and the individual tonal character of the cellists. The prelude of cello suite no.1 of J.S Bach, played by yo-yo ma, Fournier, or anyone else, sounds very different. I also like the exciting distortion of the electric guitars in "Distortion" of the Kessoku band. (A girls’ band in the anime Bocchi the Rock. If you are both a head-fier and a fan of Japanese anime, you must watch this and check out all the music!)

Highs:
Just after the open box, the very high tone of the violin was harsh, but after three-four hours of burn-in, it was solved and never appeared. No problem with female vocals. The cymbal is shining. The piano is crisp. Once, I noticed the highest tone of the flute is distorted, but the music file was what I digitized from an LP with cheap devices, and the problem was from the source. (Info for the fans of flute music: it is Mozart Sonata played by P. L. Graf in a young age). The flute might be the best so far among the music I listened to with YH-5000SE. This recording sounded full of joy.
4. Summary
YH-5000SE is an excellent machine made by a giant of the music industry. It outputs what you input, with a slight consideration of easiness of listening. No exaggeration and decoration. If the recording is bad, it sounds bad. If the recording and connected devices are good, I can fully enjoy the music. In an easy mood, the lightweight and good comfort make me relax. With a serious attitude toward music, the world is infinite.
Amazing 1st impression. This sir, deserves a round of applause, this 1st impression was a pleasant read. You actually got me, I am now 100% convinced to buy a Yamaha YH-5000SE Retail price. I have 3 favorite parts of your 1st impression.

“YH-5000SE differentiates not only the soloists and the orchestra but also the tonal difference of violin and viola of the soloists. Nobuko's sound is often considered "violin-like viola," and I used to think so, too. But through YH-5000SE, I changed this opinion. The tone is a viola's.” That mean the YH-5000SE is a excellent reference headphone and I needed one to help me dissect music again.

“The flute might be the best so far among the music I listened to with YH-5000SE. This recording sounded full of joy.” I think wind instruments are really hard to mimic compare to real life. If the YH-5000SE is able to justice to wind instruments l, that’s a real winner in my heart.

“I also like the exciting distortion of the electric guitars in "Distortion" of the Kessoku band. (A girls’ band in the anime Bocchi the Rock. If you are both a head-fier and a fan of Japanese anime, you must watch this and check out all the music!)” Nice to see a fellow Bocchi fan 😊
I agree Bocchi is a must watch for people that are fans of Anime and rock music. That Bocchi album is also one of my favorite album releases at least for modern day music. It’s a good lil album.

8AB33F1C-1DB0-40DC-ACA4-E4488F84C4B5.jpeg

Feb 13, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #618 of 1,563
Here is my first impression of YH-5000SE.
So far I used only sheepskin pads and 6.35mm single-ended cable.

1. Exterior
Excellent. Its mechanical look reminds me of Maruishi's sports bicycle and the Swiss army knife of Victorinox. Lightweight is as expected, though it feels very tough. Many parts are assembled carefully (I didn't know so many were used for a pair of headphones). The finish of every part is beautiful. Most parts are black, but different parts made from different materials are given different textures. From the first glimpse, I knew that this was something very good. I regret that I cannot watch the appearance while listening. The grayish-silver cable is easy to manage. It is thick but very flexible and has a soft surface. Microphonic noise is very low.

I love this slider part the best among many other parts with incredible craftsmanship.
DSC_6264.JPG

The yellow accent. Everything else is black-silver finish.
DSC_6274.JPG

2. Fit and comfort
Very good, but I should say that it was not what I expected from many comments I have read. The headband, made from leather and suede, was flexible, but some tension is added. At first, it did not fit well. I needed some try-and-error to find the good position of the headband, the height of the step-less slider, the earcups' position, tilt, and pan. After a minute of adjusting, I found the best setting, and suddenly, the phones disappeared. No problem with three hours of listening sessions. It is like a trench coat with many buttons and belts which I need to control to fit my body, rather than a cashmere sweater, or it is like industrial machines, not luxury brand bags, etcetc. It is in contrast to Focal's (I have tried clear mg and stellia, but not utopia).

Inside of the band
DSC_6257.JPG

3. Sound
Here is my background. You can skip this paragraph if not interested in my bias. I am a great fan of J.S. Bach and Beethoven. Mainly I listen to classical music, including piano, strings, symphony, and concertos. I also listen to Japanese Pop, Rock, and Anime songs. My favorite instrument is the cello, prefer female vocals to males, I enjoy both old masters and new youngsters. My current main headphones were HD800s. I have auditioned clear mg, th909, stellia, hd820, ath-awas, etc. Unfortunately I haven't have a chance to try other very expensive headphones, such as utopia, empyrean/elite, susvara, d8000, any of stax, dca, and audezee. So YH-5000SE is the first of the headphones in the highest price range in my life. I use WH-1000XM4 while commuting.
Devices were I-O data Soundgenic HDL-RA3HG (storage and player), TEAC UD-505 (DAC), and audio-technica AT-BHA100 (tube+SS hybrid amp). I know the total price of the chain is still cheaper than YH-5000SE, however, it is my current system, and it is always better to keep everything else the same for any experiment. The gain of the amp is always low. If not specified, the following comments are with this system connected by a single-ended original cable of YH-5000SE.
Specific burn-in is not done. I played music one by one and always listened to them for 10 hours before writing this review and the performance sounds stable. Unlike some other reviewers, I do not think YH demands so long burn-in.

Sensitivity:
As its spec tells, it does not demand much voltage. Never tuned the volume to more than the 9 o'clock position (70 by iFi Gryphon, half of my sony smartphone). Well, though, I have never minded the power of amps with any headphones. My ears may be more sensitive than average. I always wonder why so many reviewers and amp producers stress amps’ power. I seldom turn the volume louder than 10 o'clock.

Resolution:
Great. Every sound is visible. I found many nuances for the first time from my 20yrs-favorite recordings, say, the sound when a violinist’s left-hand finger taps the fingerboard, the clothes of the musicians, the vibration of open-G strings of the cello after the cellist removed the bow from the string, pedal on and off of the pianists, the very last moment of the reverb, small bell added behind drums, the unison of clarinet and flute, etc. Despite its high ability to separate each sound, it never disassembles the music. If I shift my focus from an instrument to the whole performance, it comes as a united organism.
One of my reference recordings is Symphonia Concertante of Mozart. In this piece, two soloists, Midori Goto and Nobuko Imai, play violin and viola in front of an orchestra. So there are lots of strings players on the stage. YH-5000SE differentiates not only the soloists and the orchestra but also the tonal difference of violin and viola of the soloists. Nobuko's sound is often considered "violin-like viola," and I used to think so, too. But through YH-5000SE, I changed this opinion. The tone is a viola's.

Soundstage:
Excellent. The soundstage quality is the most attractive feature of YH. Believe me, I use HD800S for daily listening, and even though I say this. The width may be a bit smaller than HD800s. Height is similar but not the highest (imo ak701y3 is the highest). Depth (front-and-rear direction, or Z axis) is the best in the three dimensions. Well, I wrote "soundstage quality". YH-5000se shows me where in the stage each of the players is, or, for pop and rock, what post-production engineers intended to place each musician. Not only side-by-side, but also front/rear and low/high relations. Say, in the above recording of Mozart, the double-bass section stays a bit right and behind the cello team. Normally I can see they stay right of the cellos. I found that I have missed front/rear information for more than a decade. For studio recording, for example in "Welcome to Japari Park", many "animal girls" sing and chant. Their positioning intended by the composer/guitarist/engineer Oishi is very clear. I found that he added his own small voice behind everything with small sound images. Ah, I wrote about the details too much. The 3D holographic reproduction takes me to the concert hall. I can see the orchestra on the stage from a center-middle seat, and it is also possible to find each instrument. This is what I expected for a long time.

Lows:
Against many comments on the relatively light bass, I find just enough bass. Well, I prefer "just enough" for everything. e.g. Lows of TH-909 is too much for me. It is punchier than HD800s, but not very loud. It is difficult to express the extent of bass, though; at least my ears are safe. More important for me is, again, the quality. In many headphone reviews, they say the separation of the kick drum and electric bass. For YH-5000SE, I didn't need to check that point because they were clearly different from each other. Drums are acoustic percussion, and EB is an electrically amplified string. They are different, aren't they? At first, I missed electric bass because it was too clear, and my brain judged it to be something else.

Mids:
The general impression is "as is". Lifelike and vivid. I can see how the vocalists move their lips and the individual tonal character of the cellists. The prelude of cello suite no.1 of J.S Bach, played by yo-yo ma, Fournier, or anyone else, sounds very different. I also like the exciting distortion of the electric guitars in "Distortion" of the Kessoku band. (A girls’ band in the anime Bocchi the Rock. If you are both a head-fier and a fan of Japanese anime, you must watch this and check out all the music!)

Highs:
Just after the open box, the very high tone of the violin was harsh, but after three-four hours of burn-in, it was solved and never appeared. No problem with female vocals. The cymbal is shining. The piano is crisp. Once, I noticed the highest tone of the flute is distorted, but the music file was what I digitized from an LP with cheap devices, and the problem was from the source. (Info for the fans of flute music: it is Mozart Sonata played by P. L. Graf in a young age). The flute might be the best so far among the music I listened to with YH-5000SE. This recording sounded full of joy.

Pairings:
I totally agree with my predecessor’s impressions. It reveals the quality of the source so much. Streaming in CD quality by Deezer sounds very noisy, while DSD downloaded from e-onkyo is excellent. This is a bit stressful for me. I would like to enjoy music in every way. I haven't tested other devices except for iFi Gryphone to check the volume. I will try with Zen-Dac/Zen-Can, headphones out of UD-505, ADI-2 pro, and phonitor x. (Do not say everything is cheaper than the headphones!) Please wait.

4. Summary
YH-5000SE is an excellent machine made by a giant of the music industry. It outputs what you input, with a slight consideration of easiness of listening. No exaggeration and decoration. If the recording is bad, it sounds bad. If the recording and connected devices are good, I can fully enjoy the music. In an easy mood, the lightweight and good comfort make me relax. With a serious attitude toward music, the world is infinite.

DSC_6276.JPG
did you buy the headphones or someone sent them for review? If the latter, who sent it?

Feb 13, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #621 of 1,563
I bought it for myself as a birthday present :)
happy birthday btw! i'm also waiting for yh-5000se open for order in my city . . .

Feb 13, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #622 of 1,563
Non SE version out later this year, for the rest of the world?

Feb 13, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #623 of 1,563
Here is my first impression of YH-5000SE.
So far I used only sheepskin pads and 6.35mm single-ended cable.

1. Exterior
Excellent. Its mechanical look reminds me of Maruishi's sports bicycle and the Swiss army knife of Victorinox. Lightweight is as expected, though it feels very tough. Many parts are assembled carefully (I didn't know so many were used for a pair of headphones). The finish of every part is beautiful. Most parts are black, but different parts made from different materials are given different textures. From the first glimpse, I knew that this was something very good. I regret that I cannot watch the appearance while listening. The grayish-silver cable is easy to manage. It is thick but very flexible and has a soft surface. Microphonic noise is very low.

I love this slider part the best among many other parts with incredible craftsmanship.
DSC_6264.JPG

The yellow accent. Everything else is black-silver finish.
DSC_6274.JPG

2. Fit and comfort
Very good, but I should say that it was not what I expected from many comments I have read. The headband, made from leather and suede, was flexible, but some tension is added. At first, it did not fit well. I needed some try-and-error to find the good position of the headband, the height of the step-less slider, the earcups' position, tilt, and pan. After a minute of adjusting, I found the best setting, and suddenly, the phones disappeared. No problem with three hours of listening sessions. It is like a trench coat with many buttons and belts which I need to control to fit my body, rather than a cashmere sweater, or it is like industrial machines, not luxury brand bags, etcetc. It is in contrast to Focal's (I have tried clear mg and stellia, but not utopia).

Inside of the band
DSC_6257.JPG

3. Sound
Here is my background. You can skip this paragraph if not interested in my bias. I am a great fan of J.S. Bach and Beethoven. Mainly I listen to classical music, including piano, strings, symphony, and concertos. I also listen to Japanese Pop, Rock, and Anime songs. My favorite instrument is the cello, prefer female vocals to males, I enjoy both old masters and new youngsters. My current main headphones were HD800s. I have auditioned clear mg, th909, stellia, hd820, ath-awas, etc. Unfortunately I haven't have a chance to try other very expensive headphones, such as utopia, empyrean/elite, susvara, d8000, any of stax, dca, and audezee. So YH-5000SE is the first of the headphones in the highest price range in my life. I use WH-1000XM4 while commuting.
Devices were I-O data Soundgenic HDL-RA3HG (storage and player), TEAC UD-505 (DAC), and audio-technica AT-BHA100 (tube+SS hybrid amp). I know the total price of the chain is still cheaper than YH-5000SE, however, it is my current system, and it is always better to keep everything else the same for any experiment. The gain of the amp is always low. If not specified, the following comments are with this system connected by a single-ended original cable of YH-5000SE.
Specific burn-in is not done. I played music one by one and always listened to them for 10 hours before writing this review and the performance sounds stable. Unlike some other reviewers, I do not think YH demands so long burn-in.

Sensitivity:
As its spec tells, it does not demand much voltage. Never tuned the volume to more than the 9 o'clock position (70 by iFi Gryphon, half of my sony smartphone). Well, though, I have never minded the power of amps with any headphones. My ears may be more sensitive than average. I always wonder why so many reviewers and amp producers stress amps’ power. I seldom turn the volume louder than 10 o'clock.

Resolution:

Soundstage:

Lows:

Mids:

Highs:

Pairings:
I totally agree with my predecessor’s impressions. It reveals the quality of the source so much. Streaming in CD quality by Deezer sounds very noisy, while DSD downloaded from e-onkyo is excellent. This is a bit stressful for me. I would like to enjoy music in every way. I haven't tested other devices except for iFi Gryphone to check the volume. I will try with Zen-Dac/Zen-Can, headphones out of UD-505, ADI-2 pro, and phonitor x. (Do not say everything is cheaper than the headphones!) Please wait.

4. Summary

DSC_6276.JPG

Great review. Thanks!

And happy birthday 🎂🎂🎂

Feb 13, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #624 of 1,563
I also like the exciting distortion of the electric guitars in "Distortion" of the Kessoku band. (A girls’ band in the anime Bocchi the Rock. If you are both a head-fier and a fan of Japanese anime, you must watch this and check out all the music!)
+1 to this, a man of culture!! Thank you for your impressions! 🙏

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #625 of 1,563
One silly question, sorry. My house is near a highway with car and road noises, so im using iem and closed-back headphones. This might be my first open-back headphone, does it have a certain degree of external noise isolation or it's a no go for me?

Feb 13, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #626 of 1,563
One silly question, sorry. My house is near a highway with car and road noises, so im using iem and closed-back headphones. This might be my first open-back headphone, does it have a certain degree of external noise isolation or it's a no go for me?

If you want open backed headphones that are semi isolated, the ZMFs are wonderful (but are a very different type of headphone to what is described here; I havea a few so happy to recommend to taste). Most open backed headphone will get outside noise freely into your headset (and out).

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #627 of 1,563
If you want open backed headphones that are semi isolated, the ZMFs are wonderful (but are a very different type of headphone to what is described here; I havea a few so happy to recommend to taste). Most open backed headphone will get outside noise freely into your headset (and out).
Was hoping Yamaha 5k is semi-isolated as my source is a low powered dap WM1Z M2. It's rare to find an efficient open-back headphone and it need to supersede my favorite MDR Z1R and most importantly, seems Sony M2 walkman can drive it in low gain with some headroom, wow.

Feb 13, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #628 of 1,563
Was hoping Yamaha 5k is semi-isolated as my source is a low powered dap WM1Z M2. It's rare to find an efficient open-back headphone and it need to supersede my favorite MDR Z1R and most importantly, seems Sony M2 walkman can drive it in low gain with some headroom, wow.

I'l llet those who have the new Yamaha input opine on this as I have no idea if it is or not.. just guessing... 🤷‍♀️

Feb 13, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #630 of 1,563
It's a shame you don't have more experience with other flagships so we can put your impressions into context. It sounds like it leans more towards a Susvara tuning than a D8000 Pro

Not quite I would say - I think both the D8000 pro and the Susvara are more closed-in and lower-mid oriented. The Susvara is also IMO either slower or more muddled, unless you spend significant resources in amp pairing. It just doesn't scale down very well unless you shop around for $2,000 speaker amps.

These have very little isolation even among open backs, probably because of how light they are. You probably want semi open or at least something with more material in the cups.

Also, low gain on the WM1Z M2 is definitely a no-go. High gain is okay-ish, but these aren't that easy to drive in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back