Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Feb 14, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #646 of 1,588
Thanks for this. Have you heard the Audio Technica ath-adx 5000? If so, how does it compare?
Unfortunately not. I am a newcomer of the world of high-end headphone and live a bit far from large cities, so have little chance to audition many headphones. I managed to borrow some of second line (in terms of price) headphones. Btw I have ath-r70x with me. I use it for zoom meeting because it is super light. Openness and sound stage size is somehow similar, but yh have smoother, thicker and a bit warmer sound, more information, and more holographic presentation. not sure if this comparison is helpful, but at least r70x looks like a younger brother of adx5000.

Feb 14, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #647 of 1,588
Unfortunately not. I am a newcomer of the world of high-end headphone and live a bit far from large cities, so have little chance to audition many headphones. I managed to borrow some of second line (in terms of price) headphones. Btw I have ath-r70x with me. I use it for zoom meeting because it is super light. Openness and sound stage size is somehow similar, but yh have smoother, thicker and a bit warmer sound, more information, and more holographic presentation. not sure if this comparison is helpful, but at least r70x looks like a younger brother of adx5000.
Since you live in Japan, there are a couple of headphones that can hit imo a totl sound for a low price since their old. ATH-AD2000, old ATH Woodies (more of a warmer sounds) except the W5000 🤢, some old Sony’s and the Onkyo A800. Since you already heard the new Yamaha, you probably won’t be too impress with clarity anymore, so you want to look for different traits like timbre or whatever sound grabs your attention. The Onkyo A800 will shake up your world no matter how many totl headphone you tried. That headphone will be worth looking into in Japan.

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #648 of 1,588
Dozan Fujiwara

Just looked him up and came across this cool rendition of Amazing Grace by him (poor sound quality here, but still very enjoyable):

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #649 of 1,588
Many thanks.

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #650 of 1,588
perhaps it's already been posted here but can someone confirm what the diameter of the diaphragm is? thanks in advance.

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #652 of 1,588
perhaps it's already been posted here but can someone confirm what the diameter of the diaphragm is? thanks in advance.
It’s 50mm according to media articles in Japanese. As an official source, see this photo in the audio event in which YH-5000SE appeared for the first time.

004.png

source: https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20220918-2457605/

Feb 15, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #653 of 1,588
The Onkyo A800 will shake up your world no matter how many totl headphone you tried. That headphone will be worth looking into in Japan.
Thanks a lot! I used to have ath-a900 and liked it, i knew they had a series of wood phones but it was too expensive for me then (awas and awkt did not fit my head unfortunately). When I got a chance to go to Akihabara, I will visit the second-hand corner in e-earphone and look for them!

Feb 15, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #655 of 1,588
Feb 16, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #656 of 1,588
What type of plug they have on the headphone side? Hopefully nothing proprietary.
It is 3.5mm mono. So the plug itself is very normal. Some already reported that a cable for susvara worked well. One caution is connector part on the headphones side. The hole is a bit deep and there is a ring inside to hold the connector. If the connector of the cable is thick, it may not fit.

_20230216_164309.JPG

_20230216_164140.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #657 of 1,588
It is 3.5mm mono. So the plug itself is very normal. Some already reported that a cables for susvara worked well. One caution is connector part on the headphones side. The hole is a bit deep and there is a ring inside to hold the connector.
Many thanks for this. It looks to me somehow similar with Final D series and I have a feeling that custom cables for those (which bypass locking mechanism) will work on this one.

Feb 16, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #660 of 1,588
@doctorK53 how stable are they on the head? can you walk around the house with them without them falling off ? Or is it a balancing act?

Walking around, looking back, sitting down and standing up are OK. It moves when looking down to pick up something on the floor (did not fell).
The clamping force is weak. Quick move is not recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back