Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Feb 13, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #632 of 1,588
Well. It's hard to match the technical performance of the HD800s in my opinion. I would love something with the same detail and soundstage than the HD800s but with extended and powerful planar bass.
The Final D8000 pro does that to certain extend, but it doesn't sound as airy and wide as the HD800s, althought soundstage depth is better IMHO.
I agree. If you're interested in acoustic instruments, the HD800S is hard to beat. Well made. A reasonable price.

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #634 of 1,588
These have very little isolation even among open backs
I agree. YH-5000SE has almost zero isolation to both direction. So i do serious listening early in the morning when my family are sleeping and outside is quiet.

Taking volume is easy. My SONY smartphone (an old experia) can drive them in half of the volume, if i don't minf quality.

Feb 13, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #636 of 1,588
One silly question, sorry. My house is near a highway with car and road noises, so im using iem and closed-back headphones. This might be my first open-back headphone, does it have a certain degree of external noise isolation or it's a no go for
I demoed YH5000se twice in tokyo in shops and there's zero isolation! even comparing to open backs, it's one of the most "open" headphones and easy to see why you see the cans in person. if you prefer open backs but wish to have a bit sound isolation, maybe trying DCA expanse and zmf VO. but even then, it's just better than non and i wont reach out for those in a noisy environment. i've seen guys using meze elite on the street. my personal experience with my empyrean won't support this kind of use.

i'm not sure the level of isolation your home, will closing all windows and doors help? i just imagined it'll be at least a few meters aways from those noise sources and will walls/windows in-between, the noise maybe lowered quite a bit (comparing against really walking down the street).

just my 2cents

Feb 13, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #637 of 1,588
Yeah its headband creates hotspots, sliders are too short and swivels are too restricted. I don't know what Sennheiser designers were smoking.

I find the HD800s very comfortable, I guess this vary a lot by head shape (doesn't it always?:))

if you prefer open backs but wish to have a bit sound isolation, maybe trying DCA expanse and zmf VO. but even then, it's just better than non and i wont reach out for those in a noisy environment. i've seen guys using meze elite on the street. my personal experience with my empyrean won't support this kind of use.

ZMF VO is an excellent all-rounder and, while it's open backed, it really does a decent job partially isolating, so ambient noise from outside I'd imagine wouldn't be an issue.

I'd definitely not walk outwise with any quality wired headphone, closed or otherwise. It's silly, can't appreciate that extra bit with street noise, and just putting the headphone at risk. Personally, I go for wireless earbuds for causal outdoor use (Sennheirser Momentum TW3 in my case; I've had the sony XM4 which have the best noise cancellation but more trade off in quality).

Feb 14, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #638 of 1,588
I am now 100% convinced to buy a Yamaha YH-5000SE Retail price. I have 3 favorite parts of your 1st impression.
Happy to hear that! Obviously, it is very very expensive, but it is worth the money if your needs fit the character of these headphones.

That mean the YH-5000SE is a excellent reference headphone and I needed one to help me dissect music again.

True. Dissection (and re-assembly) is exactly what YH-5000SE can do for you. Another good news. I watched concerto for two violins by J. S. Bach in youtube video. In this tune, two soloists play very similar phrases interchangeably. I switched the amp into monaural mode, closed my eyes, and tried to say which soloist is playing now. I was correct in all trials.

If the YH-5000SE is able to justice to wind instruments l, that’s a real winner in my heart.

Further good news for you. I play shakuhachi (Japanese bamboo flute) . When I was a university student, I was a fan of Dozan Fujiwara, who was called the prince of shakuhachi. I often went to his concert, attended his masterclass, and played together. With YH-5000SE, his sound is very near (if not the same) as my memory of his live performance.

Nice to see a fellow Bocchi fan 😊

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #639 of 1,588
i've seen guys using meze elite on the street. my personal experience with my empyrean won't support this kind of use.
I find this ridiculous. There is no isolation on the Elite either as it is pretty much fully open. Taking them to the street can't be about enjoying music, more like showing off some flashy headphones in public for some attention. :gs1000smile:

Feb 14, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #640 of 1,588
Speaking of anime, I only recently learned that there's another jazz-themed show (Kids on the Slope was amazing) arriving in Japan soon. Only learned about it because Spotify knows I love Hiromi and recommended the theme song.

61MsihZLKML._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #641 of 1,588
Happy to hear that! Obviously, it is very very expensive, but it is worth the money if your needs fit the character of these headphones.

True. Dissection (and re-assembly) is exactly what YH-5000SE can do for you. Another good news. I watched concerto for two violins by J. S. Bach in youtube video. In this tune, two soloists play very similar phrases interchangeably. I switched the amp into monaural mode, closed my eyes, and tried to say which soloist is playing now. I was correct in all trials.

Further good news for you. I play shakuhachi (Japanese bamboo flute) . When I was a university student, I was a fan of Dozan Fujiwara, who was called the prince of shakuhachi. I often went to his concert, attended his masterclass, and played together. With YH-5000SE, his sound is very near (if not the same) as my memory of his live performance.
:thumbsup:
Glad to hear all that. Very cool you were able to play Shakuhachi. I respect everyone that can play a instrument, but I give a little more extra respect to anyone that can play wind instruments because you got to have really strong lungs. As you a Shakuhachi player says the recorded sound is very close to live performance, that’s a really good sign that the Yamaha YH-5000SE is a really good headphone and we are all in for a good time :dt880smile:

Feb 14, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #642 of 1,588
I find the HD800s very comfortable, I guess this vary a lot by head shape (doesn't it always?:))

ZMF VO is an excellent all-rounder and, while it's open backed, it really does a decent job partially isolating, so ambient noise from outside I'd imagine wouldn't be an issue.

I'd definitely not walk outwise with any quality wired headphone, closed or otherwise. It's silly, can't appreciate that extra bit with street noise, and just putting the headphone at risk. Personally, I go for wireless earbuds for causal outdoor use (Sennheirser Momentum TW3 in my case; I've had the sony XM4 which have the best noise cancellation but more trade off in quality).
:)occasionally I saw ppl using hd600/hd650 on the go too. Maybe they hear their music loud and overcome the ambient noise. But definitely not viable to use open back (or even most closed back} outdoor for me. I'm sticking with either tws/iems for portable use too and occasionally use wireless headphones for flight.

Feb 14, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #643 of 1,588
:)occasionally I saw ppl using hd600/hd650 on the go too. Maybe they hear their music loud and overcome the ambient noise. But definitely not viable to use open back (or even most closed back} outdoor for me. I'm sticking with either tws/iems for portable use too and occasionally use wireless headphones for flight.
I actually use open-back headphones out of the house. I like using my Sony MDR-MA900 with my DAP with a very low volume. I can still hear my music, but it's more in the background. The people outside can't hear my music since its being played at a low volume. I can hear the music a lot better than they can since the driver is right next to my ear. You could picture it like people in the movies with songs playing in the background wandering around the city looking for strange, but it's real life. The key part is I can hear everything around me. So if someone tries sneaking up on me, I can hear people walking behind me. And a lot of times, people would try to get my attention and I want to be aware of the cars around me.

Feb 14, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #644 of 1,588
Reading the impressions it sounds like this is a neutral analytical headphone on the brighter side rather than a natural musical full bodied headphone? Opposite of D8000? Is that correct?

I agree that it is neutral. It can be analytical if my attitude is analytical, can be musical if i want to enjoy music. The ward "natural" is often appeared in others' impressions in Japanese and I agree. I do not find the headphones themselves make the sound "full-bodied". I haven't had a chance to try d8000, but many others will agree that the two are in contrast especially in presentation of bass. In my experience so far it is opposite of Fostex th909.

Feb 14, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #645 of 1,588
I agree that it is neutral. It can be analytical if my attitude is analytical, can be musical if i want to enjoy music. The ward "natural" is often appeared in others' impressions in Japanese and I agree. I do not find the headphones themselves make the sound "full-bodied". I haven't had a chance to try d8000, but many others will agree that the two are in contrast especially in presentation of bass. In my experience so far it is opposite of Fostex th909.
Thanks for this. Have you heard the Audio Technica ath-adx 5000? If so, how does it compare?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back