Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Sep 26, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #46 of 1,588
Estimated street price, 3 to 400,000 JPY.
Sorry, that was a typo. The article actually says 4 to 500,000 Yen. :triportsad:

giphy43.gif

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #47 of 1,588
Yup yup, I wrote that :wink:

I meant just as in the use of the word "orthodynamic".

Btw, I have a lot of resources to finish that thread, but it requires some SERIOUS time... which I do not have currently. When I do things, I do them the right way. I don't know any other way. Until I have the time and the energy to fully complete that timeline and history, I won't touch it.

Wise Yoda once said "Do. Or do not. There is no try".

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #49 of 1,588
At the recent FUJIYAAVIC headphone festival in Tokyo, Yamaha quietly announced... a successor to the 1970's HP-1 planar (orthodynamic) headphones. Given that the revival of the technology by Audeze, and then HiFiMan, and other companies was the result of enthusiasts discovering these old headphones, you can truly say that things have come full circle.

It's early days yet, and the models at the show were pre-first-production, having been assembled by hand by the engineers, but I did manage to get the first public listen. Production will be for the Japanese market initially, until they can ramp things up for overseas.

The YH-5000 will come with two sets of pads -- one hybrid, and one cloth, and two different cables, a 3.5/6.3 and a 4.4mm cable will be available, each using slightly different wire. The headphones themselves are 30 Ohms with a 50mm driver, and sensitivity above 95 db (per mW? I forgot to ask) making them easy to drive.

My initial listen with the hybrid pad set from a Hugo 2/2go revealed a spacious sound with plenty of bass, and quite an amount of detail. They are also very light-weight and very comfortable.

Price has yet to be determined.

Yamaha YH-5000 IMG_7624_.jpgYamaha YH-5000 IMG_7610_.jpgYamaha YH-5000 IMG_7611_.jpgYamaha YH-5000 IMG_7628_.jpgYamaha YH-5000 IMG_7602_.jpgYamaha YH-5000 IMG_7605_.jpgYamaha YH-5000 IMG_7606_.jpg

More photos here.

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #50 of 1,588
https://www.hear.audio/2022/09/30/new-yamaha-yh-5000-flagship-orthodynamic-headphones/
This technology became dormant for some decades, until enthusiasts discovered this old models, and waxed lyrical about their sonic performance. That, in turn, lead Audeze, and subsequently HiFiMan, to revive the technology, the result of which is the almost sheer domination of this type of headphone in the enthusiast market.

A very slight nitpick but because I can be a tech history geek and I feel it's important, the ordering of Audeze and HiFiMan should be flipped in that sentence. HiFiMan released their first product, the HE-5, in late 2009, while Audeze (old timers will remember them as Audez'e) didn't manage to get their first production pair of LCD-2s out until the following year (despite early LCD-1 prototypes being shown as early as May 2009).

Yeah I know they're close but it's a very major inflection point in the industry, and the details are important.

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #51 of 1,588
My initial listen with the hybrid pad set from a Hugo 2/2go revealed a spacious sound with plenty of bass, and quite an amount of detail. They are also very light-weight and very comfortable.
Thanks for sharing Amos and looking forward to your review (hopefully they agree to send out a review set your way).

Quick question, are the cups made out of plastic or metal? The frame used on the cups are metal, we know that from the pics available, but what about the mesh within and the surroundings?

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #52 of 1,588
Thanks for sharing Amos and looking forward to your review (hopefully they agree to send out a review set your way).

Quick question, are the cups made out of plastic or metal? The frame used on the cups are metal, we know that from the pics available, but what about the mesh within and the surroundings?
It's magnesium (both the frame and the yoke). But yes, am wondering the same thing because it's impossible to make out just from the pics.

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #53 of 1,588
The question is a bit confusing, as the "cups" are a metal frame. I didn't check to see what the other parts were made of, such as the outer grill. I presume that some kind of high-quality plastic is used for some parts.

Oct 1, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #54 of 1,588

When you say "quite an amount of detail", do you think they can contend with the other TOTL(s) within the general price-range (i.e. LCD-5, Susvara, or even the D8000Pro, Expanse etc)? Probably a lot to ask, I know, assuming this was a brief session, but I'm curious how capable this driver may be.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #55 of 1,588
When you say "quite an amount of detail", do you think they can contend with the other TOTL(s) within the general price-range (i.e. LCD-5, Susvara, or even the D8000Pro, Expanse etc)? Probably a lot to ask, I know, assuming this was a brief session, but I'm curious how capable this driver may be.
Indeed, too much to ask, and they weren't final production either.

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #58 of 1,588
Any idea when these headphones will be officially released for purchase?

Oct 7, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #59 of 1,588
Any idea when these headphones will be officially released for purchase?
From my Google searches, I have found no answer related to any official details about neither the price nor the release date.

Oct 7, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #60 of 1,588
From my Google searches, I have found no answer related to any official details about neither the price nor the release date.
Me neither. Really looking forward to trying them out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back