Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #31 of 1,563
Sep 25, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #32 of 1,563
Looks like a product for the modern audiophile market. Yamaha is making a re-entry. If this headphone was less expensive no one would take it seriously in the headphone community. It is us - the buyers - who want our headphones to be suitably expensive in order to feel better about our purchases. This is what we want and what we'll get, accordingly. Occasionally I miss my HP-1s (should have gotten them repaired instead of throwing them away).

Sep 25, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #34 of 1,563
Sep 25, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #35 of 1,563
If this headphone was less expensive no one would take it seriously in the headphone community. It is us - the buyers - who want our headphones to be suitably expensive in order to feel better about our purchases. This is what we want and what we'll get, accordingly.
That's the game.

I talked about this concept on multiple occasions, and it never sits right with people. When a product is priced higher, there is a smaller chance that it fails. Sure thing, it likely won't get as many sales as a less expensive one, but the likeliness that it's not well-received is very low. You just have to make it make sense — a little finesse is what I call it. Whether you do that by using fancy materials, have special design features, or are using some self-created complex technology, the price has to be backed up. For example, if you invested a lot of time into the product and it has several features/parts that are special, it's easier to market it when it's higher priced.

Also, more expensive products (headphones in this case) get paired with more expensive equipment, which usually results in better performance.

Regardless, I think Yamaha certainly backs up the price in the current market. It looks like a proper flagship headphone with a ton of work behind it.

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #36 of 1,563
Looks like a product for the modern audiophile market. Yamaha is making a re-entry. If this headphone was less expensive no one would take it seriously in the headphone community. It is us - the buyers - who want our headphones to be suitably expensive in order to feel better about our purchases. This is what we want and what we'll get, accordingly. Occasionally I miss my HP-1s (should have gotten them repaired instead of throwing them away).
Status seeking is for those that lack confidence. There isn't much doubt that a HFM HE-6 SE v2 on a suitable amp murders the Susvara as a value proposition, but it's that last 6% some will pay for.

OTOH the discounted HEK v2, used D8000, and probably the new Raal get closer, and perhaps better for a lot less.

If you know music and your set up makes.you think it's close enough to close your eyes and enjoy it well - well that's what matters - not the approval of sales folk, peers, or the latest thing In your audio publication of choice.

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #38 of 1,563
I'm fanboying over these... Can't hide how hyped I am about them. It takes a headphone to make me this enthusiastic, so hear me out.

Looking closer at the photos, it doesn't look like a big headphone. It looks very cozy and comfy. Both the headband and the ear-pads look high-quality. The plastic also looks quite premium and sturdy. So, as a whole, build quality looks good (from photos).

The design... Oh my.

My favorite design part is the headphone connector part, which looks to be an homage to YH-5M's yoke. I discovered the YH-5M only recently, but it's become a favorite of mine, especially design-wise. To think that this alien-looking "IEM" came out in 1978 is mind-blowing! Also, the little yellow accent give the headphones some character.

I genuinely hope that I am not blowing things out of proportion. I just love and am passionate about companies that take this seriously. Like, seriously-seriously. Not too many products like this on the market, and not too many manufacturers that are willing to go this far.

If they are 3-4 thousand USD, I think it's a fair price. The pricing will determine the demand (imo), and if they somehow manage to make it ¥400,000 (~$2770), I believe these would be a big success.

TL;DR — Obsessed.

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #39 of 1,563
Looking closer at the photos, it doesn't look like a big headphone. It looks very cozy and comfy. Both the headband and the ear-pads look high-quality. The plastic also looks quite premium and sturdy. So, as a whole, build quality looks good (from photos).
Oh plastic? I thought the chassis was magnesium or some kind of metal.

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #40 of 1,563
Oh plastic? I thought the chassis was magnesium or some kind of metal.
That's highly likely. Maybe it's a coating.

I know that the skeleton is made of magnesium (as can be seen below), but I don't know whether the whole construction of the headphones is made of the same material. It could be plastic, it could be some sort of aluminum, we are yet to know that. I just assumed it's high-quality plastic.

Edit: Google app helped confirm that the silver part in the photo below is made of magnesium. So, that's the "cage" or whatever you want to call it and the headphone yoke. I don't know what the rest of the headphone is made of.

Yamaha YH5000SE orthodynamic headphones (HP-1 successor) | Super Best Audio  Friends

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #41 of 1,563
My hope is they are targeting somewhere between HD800s and this for stage/tuning with a bit more technical performance

1664197665410.png

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #42 of 1,563
My hope is they are targeting somewhere between HD800s and this for stage/tuning with a bit more technical performance

Well. It's hard to match the technical performance of the HD800s in my opinion. I would love something with the same detail and soundstage than the HD800s but with extended and powerful planar bass.
The Final D8000 pro does that to certain extend, but it doesn't sound as airy and wide as the HD800s, althought soundstage depth is better IMHO.

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #43 of 1,563
So orthodynamic = planar-magnetic driver ? It's just yamaha's branding for it...

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #44 of 1,563
So orthodynamic = planar-magnetic driver ? It's just yamaha's branding for it...
Orthodynamic, planar-magnetic, isodynamic, all these terms are used for the exact same thing, I believe. If I am incorrect, please correct me.

Whether Yamaha invented the term "orthodynamic", I don't know.

Sep 26, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #45 of 1,563

Users who are viewing this thread

Back