Yamaha PRO Headphones.
Mar 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #286 of 531
Quote:

Hmmm... from what I've read, the Yamaha Pro 500 is definitely v-shaped with a bass emphasis. there is nothing inherently wrong with that if that is what you are looking for, but for $400 you can get the HE-400. $300 you can get the M100. I am curious what headphones you have tried if you are saying this is the cream of the crop. Kinda seems like hype of the week to me.

The 500 is legitimately made of plastic and aluminium (the same premium materials found in soda cans)... the design isn't even original. So basically, Yamaha (a company w/ no previous experience in headphones) suddenly jumps into the game & releases a Ultrasone Sig Pro equivalent at half its cost? Yamaha would have to R&D from scratch while Ultrasone has 20+ years of experience specializing in only headphones. I am just highly skeptical that the 500s offers anything more than any other highly-rated closed headphones in the $200-300 price range. Yes, they might offer a slightly different sound signature. But definitely not $100 worth of sonic upgrade.

I seriously feel like it is just a bad joke. 

From her profile:
Current:
KSC-75, ATH-M50, ATH-ANC7, HT-21, AH-D1000, M-80, MS400, PRO 650, Modded T50RP, Amperior, DT 1350, PRO 500

IEMs: 
ATH-CKM50A, HJE900, HF3 

Past: 
HD201, DJ100, SuperFi 4, HD218, D1100, HDJ-2000, HFI-700, ATH-ES7, MDR-V6, Aviator, HD600, KNS-8400, SR-225, P5, MDR-Z1000, ATH-ES10, K181DJ, K81DJ, GMP 8.35 D, TMA-1, SRH840, HD598, K167, MDR-1R

I'm pretty sure she knows what she's talking about.

Also, Yamaha does have experience with headphones. Granted, they have more experience with planar magnetic drivers than dynamic drivers, but it's not like they just started making headphones.

Subbed. I didn't really pay much attention to these until recently; now I want one.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #287 of 531
Quote:

Hmmm... from what I've read, the Yamaha Pro 500 is definitely v-shaped with a bass emphasis.

I love people who read headphones instead of listening to them.

Was it Martin Mull who quipped "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"?

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #288 of 531

I love people who read headphones instead of listening to them.

Was it Martin Mull who quipped "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"?

lol. unfortunately, I cannot purchase every single pair of headphones that I am curious about. Isn't the whole point of these forums to share knowledge/opinions about headphones, so people do not need to buy every pair after they tried a few and have a reference point?

I can only say so much about a headphone but if you're gonna keep assuming its a POS without having experience with them then go ahead. I don't know who in this thread has called them v-shaped - haven't read that and I'm not hearing that. These cans do things that I haven't heard in a $300 can and I'm very nitpicky. It's why a lot of headphones have come and gone. Till now, I have never been sure of a can being a keeper and the more expensive a headphone is, the more critical I am of it since I certainly don't have $400 to blow (that's basically my weekly paycheck right there). That said, go ahead and audition them. Or don't. You may or may not like them. You talk about hype on these cans but they actually aren't being given the attention they deserve, especially the way other headphones are at the moment which have been hyped to steroid levels.

hey, okay. please don't get personally offended.

well, from what I've read there is a bass boost/emphasis. I actually discovered these when in the BASSHEAD thread, some people recommended them.

This review talks positively about the sound & mentions the v-shaped sound signature: http://www.head-fi.org/t/653626/yamaha-hph-pro-500-review
"The sound signature on here isn’t what I’d have picked and isn’t what I’d expect from Yamaha.  The bass is too big and the highs are too abundant and I find the combo to be wildly exciting but it got rather tiring on my ears. " "These however, while amazing are too V shaped and dramatic for me."

There is also a really interesting shoot-out comparison that includes the Pro 500 with the M100, MDR-1R, and others, and that review also indicated that the sound signature is colored. Can't seem to find it right now. Even on the yamaha website, they talk about their bass boost.

I guess the main thing I was really surprised at is that I feel like for colored bassy headphones, the sound signature is usually just different and suits different people's perceptions. That is why I am so taken aback that the Pro 500 jumps up to $400 when most of the highly rated bass-boosted headphones can be found for $300 or less until you do the jump to the Ultrasone Pro DJ at $999.

Honestly, just look at within the Yamaha Pro line. Pro 400 (same specs w/o aluminium earcups) = $300. The additional of aluminium earscups of the Pro 500 with the exact same specs jump the price to $400!!! Let's be real, aluminium earcups do NOT cost $100. This is obviously price inflation (similar to PC-makers jumping up the price of external storage). If the Pro 500 was priced at $300, I would think it is a great alternative, but to say that the Yamaha sound signature is worth $100 more than other sound signatures seems really sketchy to me.

I am not saying that the Pro 500 are a "POS" or suck. I am just saying that they probably are very comparable to the colored headphones in the $300 range and for $400, I am highly skeptical that there is actually an objective improvement in sound quality compared to its competitors.

I hope no one else gets offended by my own critical observations.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #290 of 531
Billyjoe I have not, but I intend to this month hopefully. If I do, I will absolutely post some impressions and a comparison.

Ishcabible, I appreciate the support and always look forward to your posts/input. If you do ever get a chance to hear these I look forward to your impressions.

Beagle, that's a great quote and I totally agree. You never really know if a headphone is for you unless you hear them. It's amazing when someone can insist on a headphone without having heard them. For me it's just as bad as someone not wanting to try a headphone because it looks ugly, regardless of SQ.

I will go on to say that this headphone may not be for everyone, although this should really go without saying since everyone has different preferences and hears differently. For example, if you prefer neutrality to the tee and prefer something like the DT 1350, KNS-8400, or K550 you may indeed find these headphones boomier than expected. Same goes for a person who might prefer a Q40, Pro700 MK2, XB500, or even a UE6000 - this HP may not have enough bass for you. To my ears, these sound just RIGHT from top to bottom. While many headphones have all different kinds of sound sigs, ones you may or may not prefer, IME what has been most difficult for me to find is one that has the most accurate timbre of instruments in a live setting. This has been my top priority after hearing my beloved HJE900 (which is also not for everyone but this little IEM has had the most natural timbre despite not having the best refinement). Anyway, I didn't think I'd find a can that did natural timbre as well yet the 500 has exceeded my expectations in that it also delivers refinement, detail, layering and great imaging. I'm no expert but I know what sounds good to my ears and in the end, whatever I say should be taken with a grain of salt. What's impressive to me is what the 500s can deliver vs what others haven't been able to. For example, cymbals sound pure and shimmer while on other cans can either be too soft or too sharp/edgy. It's hard not to comment on how well these reproduce sound. Again, it may not be what people are looking for or used to hearing but this is the first time I feel like I have the total package SQ-wise. Never thought I'd say that about a headphone. My only nitpick about the 500 is the form-factor (I would have much preferred a nice head-conforming form factor a la M-100) but for the SQ these produce, I'm not complaining.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #291 of 531
Quote:

lol. unfortunately, I cannot purchase every single pair of headphones that I am curious about. Isn't the whole point of these forums to share knowledge/opinions about headphones, so people do not need to buy every pair after they tried a few and have a reference point?

well, from what I've read there is a bass boost/emphasis. I actually discovered these when in the BASSHEAD thread, some people recommended them.

This review talks positively about the sound & mentions the v-shaped sound signature: http://www.head-fi.org/t/653626/yamaha-hph-pro-500-review
"The sound signature on here isn’t what I’d have picked and isn’t what I’d expect from Yamaha.  The bass is too big and the highs are too abundant and I find the combo to be wildly exciting but it got rather tiring on my ears. " "These however, while amazing are too V shaped and dramatic for me."

There is also a really interesting shoot-out comparison that includes the Pro 500 with the M100, MDR-1R, and others, and that review also indicated that the sound signature is colored. Can't seem to find it right now. Even on the yamaha website, they talk about their bass boost.

I guess the main thing I was really surprised at is that I feel like for colored bassy headphones, the sound signature is usually just different and suits different people's perceptions. That is why I am so taken aback that the Pro 500 jumps up to $400 when most of the highly rated bass-boosted headphones can be found for $300 or less until you do the jump to the Ultrasone Pro DJ at $999.

Honestly, just look at within the Yamaha Pro line. Pro 400 (same specs w/o aluminium earcups) = $300. The additional of aluminium earscups of the Pro 500 with the exact same specs jump the price to $400!!! Let's be real, aluminium earcups do NOT cost $100. This is obviously price inflation (similar to PC-makers jumping up the price of external storage). If the Pro 500 was priced at $300, I would think it is a great alternative, but to say that the Yamaha sound signature is worth $100 more than other sound signatures seems really sketchy to me.

I am not saying that the Pro 500 are a "POS" or suck. I am just saying that they probably are very comparable to the colored headphones in the $300 range and for $400, I am highly skeptical that there is actually an objective improvement in sound quality compared to its competitors.

It is not that people are offended, it is that people don't want to wade through completely unqualified opinions when they are trying to make a choice. You haven't got the foggiest idea about these headphones and you are making unqualified opinions based on zero real input, except what you think about these from a picture you saw. The people who actually own these things have contradicted you, tried to tell you you were off the mark, but you keep this up like what you are saying matters. You haven't even seen these things in person, haven't listened to them, and you think you should give your uninformed "critical observations." You are not helping, and I suspect you know it.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #293 of 531
money4me, I see where you're coming from but it's very important to realize that everyone has different perceptions and you have to take it with a grain of salt. To my ears, if the treble was any softer they would be rolled off slightly a la M-80 or UE6000. Slightly too dark. If they had any more treble, they could be peaky/edgy a la HD25/Amperior. That said, there are many people who find the treble of the former headphones just right to them. Everyone hears differently. I have been obsessed with finding finding a can that sounds as close to natural as possible, being a former percussionist and an avid lover of live music. These ain't perfect but come way closer than any headphone I've heard yet.

I haven't heard the PRO 400 so I cannot comment. Also the SQ differences (and I am sure there are having switched from the plastic HD25 to the aluminum Amperior) vs price difference will be subjective to anyone. A harder, more stiff housing will always be more benificial to timbre and decay. For more on this, you should check out Tyll's (innerfidelity.com) review/comparison of the Amperior vs. HD25. The Amperior has an audibile difference and it's an overall upgrade. Whether the price is worth it to someone is totally subjective. Luckily I was able to score mine a bit cheaper since they're refurbs. That said, while there is a significant increase in SQ I wouldn't say they should cost $150 more than the HD25. $100 more sounds reasonable though. YMMV.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #295 of 531
Quote:
Have you tried the V-Moda M-100, and if so, how much of an upgrade sound wise is it? Anyone?

You are right about the hype for these, there hasn't been much around here. The king of the hype train right now in the 300ish portable is the M-100, and they are nice.

If I can jump in here..

I've got both the M-100 and just got the Pro 500.  I'd say the Yamaha sounds more open (perhaps due to a smaller recess in its midrange as compared to the M-100, or maybe an increased upper midrange), and treble response of the Pro 500 is more extended but perhaps a little hotter than that of the M-100.  The comfort issue for me is no issue -- they are equally comfortable, although probably not for longer than a couple of hours, for slightly different reasons.  They both isolate well.  The Yamaha images better than the V-Moda for me, perhaps because of the larger circumaural design.  

If I were going for pure sound enjoyment alone on most types of music (EDM, rock, jazz, even classical), I would pick the Pro 500 over the M-100.  Practically, I'm less keen on the Pro 500 due to durability (shiny plastic will eventually scratch) and looks (big cans look strange to me when walking outside), so the M-100 is better for portable listening.  

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #296 of 531
Quote:
It is not that people are offended, it is that people don't want to wade through completely unqualified opinions when they are trying to make a choice. You haven't got the foggiest idea about these headphones and you are making unqualified opinions based on zero real input, except what you think about these from a picture you saw. The people who actually own these things have contradicted you, tried to tell you you were off the mark, but you keep this up like what you are saying matters. You haven't even seen these things in person, haven't listened to them, and you think you should give your uninformed "critical observations." You are not helping, and I suspect you know it.

lol my whole argument was simply that there are competitors to this headphone with a similar sound signature at $300. Hence, I believe that this pair of headphones are overpriced. My objections are based on the price point, not the sound quality.

Actually, I probably can describe the Pro 500 sound signature more objectively than a lot of people that have heard it as I've already read through all the reviews/opinions on this product, so my perception of its sound signature is just the compilation of different reviews. I am not just making up things about how they sound and I am not saying that the Pro 500 sounds bad. However, the majority of reviewers I've read on Head-Fi say that there is a bass emphasis. I also know that Roma101 enjoyed the colored sound signature of the Sony MDR-1R and personally perceived that sound signature to be well-balanced. So it is not crazy that he also likes the Pro 500 and it seems to be balanced to very well to him. I am sure if I heard the Pro 500, I would also really like it as well.

I simply do not believe they are the next-tier up compared to headphones like the AKG 550, Senneheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R, and V-Moda M100 as the price would suggest. From what I've read, they simply have a unique sound signature. Soundstage is not more expansive than the AKG 550. Comfort is not higher than the MDR-1R. Build materials are not better than the Momentum or M100. The M100 has colored bass-emphasis, AKG is flat with slight treble-emphasis, MDR-1R is midcentric with warmer bass, and the Momentum are more flat. Pro 500 is described as bass-emphasis but well balanced. The majority of reviews described them in a very similar way as people talked about the M100s.

If your argument is that I cannot possibility know what I am talking about without personally listening to the headphones... then what is the point of reviewers describing its sonic traits with specific terms?? I feel like I have a good sense of how they sound from doing my research on what Head-Fi-ers said they sound. If you are saying that they have indescribable sonic traits that make them better than the competition, then you are being biased.

Now with that background, my opinion is that they are overpriced at $400, but is a good solid competitor at $300. The fact that the price dropped down to $300 on amazon so soon after their release means that their long-term value is probably much lower than $400. The fact that they are adding $100 extra for aluminium earcups when $150 headphones such as the Nu-Force HP-800 can offer that as well. A lot of other head-fi-ers already hold the opinion that $300+ for colored headphones are extremely over-priced, so my opinion on this matter shouldn't be too surprising to you.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #297 of 531
Quote:
If I can jump in here..

I've got both the M-100 and just got the Pro 500.  I'd say the Yamaha sounds more open (perhaps due to a smaller recess in its midrange as compared to the M-100, or maybe an increased upper midrange), and treble response of the Pro 500 is more extended but perhaps a little hotter than that of the M-100.  The comfort issue for me is no issue -- they are equally comfortable, although probably not for longer than a couple of hours, for slightly different reasons.  They both isolate well.  The Yamaha images better than the V-Moda for me, perhaps because of the larger circumaural design.  

If I were going for pure sound enjoyment alone on most types of music (EDM, rock, jazz, even classical), I would pick the Pro 500 over the M-100.  Practically, I'm less keen on the Pro 500 due to durability (shiny plastic will eventually scratch) and looks (big cans look strange to me when walking outside), so the M-100 is better for portable listening.  

Thank you.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #298 of 531
Quote:
If I can jump in here..

This is very helpful. A lot of people seem to prefer the Pro 500 to the M100. I think this is probably because the M100 has a more dramatic v-shape than the Pro 500 so that the mids are more recessed on the M100. The bass of the M100 is definitely emphasized, so if the Pro 500 is similar, I would imagine bass-emphasis. The treble extension of the Pro 500 may cause ear fatigue  for certain users or can be very delightful for others. That is something that causes the mixed feedback on Ultrasone, the trebles are too sharp.

So it's basically reviews like this that makes me think that the Pro 500 should be priced at a lower price point. There is nothing that makes the Pro 500 $100 more unless you personally prefer that sound signature. What other headphones do you have to compare against the Pro 500?

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #299 of 531
Quote:

Actually Pro 500 might have different drivers than Pro 400. From Yamaha site:

Pro 500:
Ultra-premium drivers, mobile-optimized for maximum efficiency and performance

Pro 400:
Premium, mobile-optimized drivers for maximum efficiency and performance

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #300 of 531
Any Aussies want to buy these babies I suggest using:

http://www.excelhifi.com.au/headphones/

NOT:
http://www.yamahaheadphones.com.au/

Reason is that it is the same company, but different pricing... i got stung getting them from the second mentioned website :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back