Yamaha Pro 500 vs. Sony MDR 1-R
Mar 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #31 of 41
Your comments are only valid if you have compared them, personally with your own ears, to other headphones. Your  endless regurgitation only creates confusion and misinformation for those who seek actual impressions from people who have heard them. Recommending a headphone over another one without hearing them is ridiculous and plain wrong. Please stop and leave it to those who have actual experience with these headphones. Thanks.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:
Your comments are only valid if you have compared them, personally with your own ears, to other headphones. Your  endless regurgitation only creates confusion and misinformation for those who seek actual impressions from people who have heard them. Recommending a headphone over another one without hearing them is ridiculous and plain wrong. Please stop and leave it to those who have actual experience with these headphones. Thanks.

He isn't going to stop, he is looking to argue, he wants conflict. If everyone just ignores him like he doesn't exist, he will get bored. Even people who thrive on being an irritant will eventual spit the bit if they get no response. No sane person is this obsessed about a headphone they haven't heard, only someone looking to argue for the sake of argument would carry on with the repetitive walls of text that say essentially the same thing over and over. You own the headphones, and think they are great, and he wants to argue the point, let you know that he disagrees. Someone who has no experience with this item wants argue with you. He either suffers from a mental affliction, or he is just being intentionally irritating to troll. Either way, he should be ignored.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:
recommendation based on mainly on price point and value. not based on the picture, based on reading extensive reviews about the product.

Please don't ever recommend products you've not owned or otherwise have extensive experience with. That is doing a great disservice to other members. Reading about a product is not the same as owning it.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #34 of 41

Quote:

Please don't ever recommend products you've not owned or otherwise have extensive experience with. That is doing a great disservice to other members. Reading about a product is not the same as owning it.

I am not recommending the Pro 500s lol. I am recommending the MDR-1R that I've heard OVER the Pro 500s (which I said up-front that I didn't personally hear), because the Pro 500 appears to be priced too highly for a pair of closed, portable colored consumer headphones (in my personal opinion), and I offered suggestions of alternatives.

I never lied or made any exaggerated claims about these headphones. Everything I said can be verified independently. I am just surprised that some of you guys just can't seem to understand that I am NOT making a personal sonic comparison of the products. The only sound comment I made are they are colored (even Yamaha talks about their bass-boost on their website).

Paying $400 for a closed colored pair of headphones doesn't make sense to me when you can get highly-recommended closed, portable, colored headphones AND/OR high-recommended closed, portable, neutral headphones at $300. I came to this conclusion because from my research, there are people that compared to cheaper $300 headphones that I have heard and some reviewers favor the sound quality/signature of the cheaper alternatives over the sound quality/signature of the Pro 500s. 

The insults are just very bewildering to me. There is really no reason for people to keep yelling at me for not hearing the Pro 500s. I never heard the Beats Solo Hd, but I feel like I can recommend against them, because from my research, they compare worse to other headphones I've heard. None of you guys have heard every pair of headphones in the $300-$400 range. None of you have even heard the $300 Pro 400, so how can you say that the $400 Pro 500 is worth the extra $100? 

At the end of the day, if you still don't understand my point, I doubt any more explaining will help. All this back-and-forth is probably not helping the OP, and honestly, the price of these will would most likely fall significantly in the coming months to better reflect their true value (as illustrated by the $100 discount on amazon a few days ago), so I think the point is moot.

@Billyjoegunrack, I would appreciate it if you stopped the insults. Thank you.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #35 of 41
Havent heard the Yamaha but the Sony are very mid-rangish headphone. Get a decent amp and they sound brilliant.

Just don't expect them to be bass-monsters. To my ears, they sound like a condensed baby R10.

Has a very typical Sony house sound but keep your options open to other brands too as suggested by other members.

I personally rate the Momentum, Amperior and 1R in that order with Momentum being the best in sound and I am a Sony fanboy.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #36 of 41
Well, if you are set on either of these guys, I would broaden it up a bit. Why? Soundwise, I would choose the Yamaha Pro 500s because they are more "aligned" to the sound signature I like. BUT if you take into consideration:

- Comfort
- Looks
- Price

then definitely the MDR-1Rs win (at least for me... I'm a sucker for their silver/brown combination! :wink:)

http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-mdr-1r-headphones-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-sliver.html

Bear in mind though that their sound signatures are a bit different! The Sony's are more mid-forward and can sound congested up top (especially due to their upper mids). Yamaha's are more V/U-shaped in whereas the Bass CAN be overpowering and their highs are a bit hot.

If you are looking for similar headphones in the price range, I posted this a few months ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633696/the-mad-dog-appreciation-thread#post_8957108

You can also check my Yamaha Pro 500 review on my signature below.

Good luck!

Oh, I forgot, my current headphone favorites are: Mad Dogs and Ultrasone Signature Pros. Most of those in the review were driven at home with Nuforce Icon HDP + Lehman BCL amp and at work with Leckerton UHA-6SMKII. Now doing my listening at work with the Schiit Magni. Bye

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:
I am not recommending the Pro 500s lol. I am recommending the MDR-1R that I've heard OVER the Pro 500s (which I said up-front that I didn't personally hear), because the Pro 500 appears to be priced too highly for a pair of closed, portable colored consumer headphones (in my personal opinion), and I offered suggestions of alternatives.

I never lied or made any exaggerated claims about these headphones. Everything I said can be verified independently. I am just surprised that some of you guys just can't seem to understand that I am NOT making a personal sonic comparison of the products. The only sound comment I made are they are colored (even Yamaha talks about their bass-boost on their website).

Paying $400 for a closed colored pair of headphones doesn't make sense to me when you can get highly-recommended closed, portable, colored headphones AND/OR high-recommended closed, portable, neutral headphones at $300. I came to this conclusion because from my research, there are people that compared to cheaper $300 headphones that I have heard and some reviewers favor the sound quality/signature of the cheaper alternatives over the sound quality/signature of the Pro 500s. 

The insults are just very bewildering to me. There is really no reason for people to keep yelling at me for not hearing the Pro 500s. I never heard the Beats Solo Hd, but I feel like I can recommend against them, because from my research, they compare worse to other headphones I've heard. None of you guys have heard every pair of headphones in the $300-$400 range. None of you have even heard the $300 Pro 400, so how can you say that the $400 Pro 500 is worth the extra $100? 

At the end of the day, if you still don't understand my point, I doubt any more explaining will help. All this back-and-forth is probably not helping the OP, and honestly, the price of these will would most likely fall significantly in the coming months to better reflect their true value (as illustrated by the $100 discount on amazon a few days ago), so I think the point is moot.

@Billyjoegunrack, I would appreciate it if you stopped the insults. Thank you.

Everyone has heard your point of view, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and over. We all understand where you are coming from, and nobody wants to hear from you about this anymore. How many times are you going to repeat this in the face of knowing you are irritating people? Do you know that you are getting on people's nerves? Is this who you are? Has your life degraded to the point that intentionally irritating random people on a forum is where you derive pleasure?

How many people asking you to just stop is it going to take for you to show the common decency of just cutting the crap? 

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:
Havent heard the Yamaha but the Sony are very mid-rangish headphone. Get a decent amp and they sound brilliant.

Just don't expect them to be bass-monsters. To my ears, they sound like a condensed baby R10.

Has a very typical Sony house sound but keep your options open to other brands too as suggested by other members.

I personally rate the Momentum, Amperior and 1R in that order with Momentum being the best in sound and I am a Sony fanboy.

Completely agree that MDR-1R sound quite average out of portable but really shines on a good desktop setup.
Amazing how personal preferences influence rating of the phones. I owned both Momentum and 1R at some point at found Momentum plain atrocious in comparison, in both comfort and sound department, but I've used hefty stationary rig for comparison, may be out of portable they are better, just didn't bother to try as sold Momentum right away.

Don't have experience with Yama, but I really like their receivers.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:
Everyone has heard your point of view, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and over. We all understand where you are coming from, and nobody wants to hear from you about this anymore. How many times are you going to repeat this in the face of knowing you are irritating people? Do you know that you are getting on people's nerves? Is this who you are? Has your life degraded to the point that intentionally irritating random people on a forum is where you derive pleasure?

How many people asking you to just stop is it going to take for you to show the common decency of just cutting the crap? 

Alright, let's stop the trolling, take some of your own advice...

Quote:
Either way, he should be ignored.

...and move on. I'm a real big fan of the MDR-1R and have enjoyed the hell out of mine for the past week. I'll be putting together my own review of them soon, I hope. Never expected the Pro 500 to be compared to it. Think I'll be putting this one on my short list to demo this weekend. The seem extremely easy to find. Looks like just about every Best Buy has them out. From what I've read in this thread so far, I don't expect much, but I'll save any initial judgement until after I've experienced them myself.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Alright, let's stop the trolling, take some of your own advice...

...and move on. I'm a real big fan of the MDR-1R and have enjoyed the hell out of mine for the past week. I'll be putting together my own review of them soon, I hope. Never expected the Pro 500 to be compared to it. Think I'll be putting this one on my short list to demo this weekend. The seem extremely easy to find. Looks like just about every Best Buy has them out. From what I've read in this thread so far, I don't expect much, but I'll save any initial judgement until after I've experienced them myself.

I am done. Can someone please place a ban on my account?

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #41 of 41
While I don't own the Yamahas or Momentums, I do have the 1R. I can't really comment on SQ compared to the others, but, on its own, it has a smooth response, as others have said, easy to listen to for a long time, and the comfort is simply amazing, with plenty of soft synthetic leather. The build is typical Sony as well, brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back