Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jun 4, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #2,851 of 3,295
I am doing a comparison with the Meze 99 Classics and the MT220, the latter seems to be a slightly better for at-home listening choice.The difference is not huge but with a good setup, there is a difference in soundstaging, air in the higher frequencies and a little added clarity. The 99 Classics is easily the best on-the-go choice, where these subtle differences don't matter much.

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #2,852 of 3,295
Can anyone help me to understand the difference between MT220 and ATH-MSR7? I was told that both has flat Sound Sig and very accurate sound. Which would be better for home listening and for the music type such as Accoustic, Female vocal and Rock? Thank you...

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #2,853 of 3,295
Can anyone help me to understand the difference between MT220 and ATH-MSR7? I was told that both has flat Sound Sig and very accurate sound. Which would be better for home listening and for the music type such as Accoustic, Female vocal and Rock? Thank you...

I posted a response here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738758/audio-technica-ath-msr7-discussion-thread/1590#post_12631320

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #2,854 of 3,295

I posted a response here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738758/audio-technica-ath-msr7-discussion-thread/1590#post_12631320

Thank you very much. Greatly appreciated your help. :)

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #2,855 of 3,295
Hello, everyone... I just ordered Yam MT220 and can't wait to try it for myself.

Has anyone modded MT220 to have detachable cable option instead? I do not like fixed coiled long cable so would like to mod it and love to see what others did on MT220 to have detachable cable. :)

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #2,856 of 3,295
  Hello, everyone... I just ordered Yam MT220 and can't wait to try it for myself.

Has anyone modded MT220 to have detachable cable option instead? I do not like fixed coiled long cable so would like to mod it and love to see what others did on MT220 to have detachable cable. :)

I'm looking at online pics of the inside of the cups and MT220 looks incredibly similar to ATH-M50(x).
Modifying it to use 3.5mm connectors is probably the same as how M50 users do it.

I do not like how M50 users butcher the inner driver chamber for the aesthetic sake of not having their 3.5mm female jacks stick out like I have done it.  Butchering the inside of a headphone is a very, very bad idea if you don't know what you're doing.  Then again, others and I think that they all have terrible tin ears, hence they can't tell what harm it is probably doing to sound quality. 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #2,857 of 3,295

I'm looking at online pics of the inside of the cups and MT220 looks incredibly similar to ATH-M50(x).
Modifying it to use 3.5mm connectors is probably the same as how M50 users do it.

I do not like how M50 users butcher the inner driver chamber for the aesthetic sake of not having their 3.5mm female jacks stick out like I have done it.  Butchering the inside of a headphone is a very, very bad idea if you don't know what you're doing.  Then again, others and I think that they all have terrible tin ears, hence they can't tell what harm it is probably doing to sound quality. 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,858 of 3,295

rolleyes.gif

Thank you very much for sharing. I will definitely keep that in mind. My HP is still on its way and expect to arrive within a week. By the way, is the yellow & black braided cable is custom cable that you purchased or you made for yourself? It looks gorgeous. :)

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #2,859 of 3,295

rolleyes.gif

Thank you very much for sharing. I will definitely keep that in mind. My HP is still on its way and expect to arrive within a week. By the way, is the yellow & black braided cable is custom cable that you purchased or you made for yourself? It looks gorgeous. :)

I had it made for me.    ♫

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #2,860 of 3,295

rolleyes.gif

Thank you very much for sharing the photo of the outcome on M50X. Yes, I found that it is very similar to M50X and will refer your photo when I do the removable Cable Mod. Thank you again. :)

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #2,861 of 3,295
@Music Alchemist

I just got Yamaha MT220 and compared with my Fostex T50RP MK3. This is 1st initial impression after listening an hour so it can be changed later. My source is 320k MP3 and 16 bit Flac files format with MBA>Meridian Explorer>MK3 | MT220.

Comfort: MT220 wins big time on this one. Fostex has very thin pad and I cannot wear longer than 40 mins so have to take it off. I found MT220 is very comfortable with stock pad and can wear many hours without a problem. I tried with many different earpads (Shure, Brainwavz velour, hybrid) on MK3 to improve comfort but none of them sounds as good as stock thin earpads. Hence, I am sticking with uncomfortable stock earpads. 

Cable: I found that MT220 cable is durable and high quality cable but very heavy because it is non-removable thick long coiled cable. MK3 has thinner & lighter but springy cable but it is removable so easy to change cable. Hence, I found that MK3 is better on this department. 

Weight: Even. I did not measure the weight with weight scale but feels almost same on my hands.

Power Requirement: MK3 requires lot of power~~~. I need only 20% of power with Meridian Explorer on MT220 but MK3 requires 80~85% of power to listen at same volume level.  In terms of power efficiency, MT220 wins big time.

Initial sound impression: MT220 sounds darker, has more bass quantity and slightly hollow sound comparing with MK3 to me. Both cans have great details and can hear all of instruments, and instrument separation & imaging are great.  MK3 sounds having higher clarity because MK3 has brighter sound sig comparing with MT220. In terms of bass, MT220 has more bass quantity but MK3 sounds tighter.

High: MT220 sounds slightly smoother and less fatiguing. I prefer MT220. 
Mid: Both are great. If I have to pick one, MK3 sounds slightly clearer because of tighter bass and brighter sound sig. I prefer MK3.
Bass: MK3 has tighter and punchier bass and MT220 has more bass quantity but slightly muddy comparing with MK3. I prefer MK3.

This is just my 1st impression after listening an hour so it can be changed later. I have not applied soborthane mod with HM5 hybrid pad change on MT220 as yet. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #2,862 of 3,295
I swapped pad with HM5 Hybrid pad and 3 things happened. 1) Tone became slightly brighter than before. 2) soundstage improved. 3) Bass became less muddy. Overall, I prefer MT220 with HM5 hybrid pad. I will apply Soborthane mod later to see how sound changes further.

I forgot to mention... My MT220 is slightly used one that I purchased from another head-fier so it has been burned in (not sure how many hours burned in previously though).

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #2,863 of 3,295
Holy cow... I completed soborthane mod with HM5 Hybrid pad and sound is now very different to original. Bass became very tight & punchy, soundstage is bigger and sounds definitely brighter than original.... It is quite surprising how sound change drastically by applying simple mod & swapping earpad. I will burn in more and compare modded MT220 with Fostex T50RP MK3 again later. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #2,864 of 3,295
Did A/B test between modded MT-220 and Fostex T50RP MK3 and I found that both are now very similar in terms of sound which is weird
confused_face(1).gif
 since one is dynamic and the other is planar. MT-220 sounds slightly richer/fuller sound and MK3 slightly leaner and neutral to me.

If anyone has both cans and modded MT-220, love to hear their impression. :)

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #2,865 of 3,295
i tested the mk3 on the then new A1 portable player, tot it was v easy to power...
liked it enuf to consider buying one, but otherthings$$$gotintheway..:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back