Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jun 18, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,172 of 3,295
ahhh...yes, the baffle...interesting, the drivers are mounted flat..but angled thru the baffle..smart smart.

http://jp.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/headphones/headphones_select/ 

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #1,177 of 3,295
Lorspeaker, i watched links of live performance you posted here.  Couldn't hear acoustic of room because concert hall was huge.  Voices were presented nicely the rest just disappears in that huge hall...

heres a video that gives a more intimate listening experience because of a better acoustic recording , microphones where placed all over the scene and the room it self is just about " small" enough to get music instruments going without disappearing or suffocating in the room.

On mt220 separation is great , each instrument is right placed and not taking over by vocals. Great energy!

Yasmin is lovely :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hezn94KBTfM

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #1,178 of 3,295

Yup. But I'm getting more, and many more in the future. Just read my profile for the details.

Sick Profile, headphones are going to be the death of me lol. I just bought the AKG K553 off of Massdrop, and I'm still really tempted to buy the HPH MT220's. Then I think I'll stop there with closed (Might buy some Beyer DT770's though), then for open I'll purchase the HD598's, as I definetly trust sennheiser.

Right now Im still using my M50x with HM5 pads, although I might return it when I get the AKG's.

And I still need to buy an amp...... hmh

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,179 of 3,295
  Sick Profile, headphones are going to be the death of me lol. I just bought the AKG K553 off of Massdrop, and I'm still really tempted to buy the HPH MT220's. Then I think I'll stop there with closed (Might buy some Beyer DT770's though), then for open I'll purchase the HD598's, as I definetly trust sennheiser.

Right now Im still using my M50x with HM5 pads, although I might return it when I get the AKG's.

My main reason for never ordering from Massdrop is the long wait. I want headphones within days, not weeks or months.
frown.gif

Haven't heard the HD 598, but did audition and like the HD 558, which has the same drivers. The HD 590 I owned may have been defective, because it sounded muffled instead of bright and engaging like the reviews say. I liked the HD 650 a lot, though it was a little too warm and smooth for me. Disliked the HD 700. The HD 800 was good except it was painfully bright for me.

I wasn't impressed by the M50x when I owned it. I think the MT220 is worlds better. I'm borrowing another M50x for a week or so, so maybe my opinion of it will improve, since I'm more or less forced to use it for now.

I want to get the JDS Labs The Element amp/DAC next, once I get the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000, JVC HA-SZ2000, Sennheiser HD 600, and/or V-MODA Crossfade M-100. Won't be released until the end of this month.

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #1,180 of 3,295

My main reason for never ordering from Massdrop is the long wait. I want headphones within days, not weeks or months.
frown.gif

Haven't heard the HD 598, but did audition and like the HD 558, which has the same drivers. The HD 590 I owned may have been defective, because it sounded muffled instead of bright and engaging like the reviews say. I liked the HD 650 a lot, though it was a little too warm and smooth for me. Disliked the HD 700. The HD 800 was good except it was painfully bright for me.

I wasn't impressed by the M50x when I owned it. I think the MT220 is worlds better. I'm borrowing another M50x for a week or so, so maybe my opinion of it will improve, since I'm more or less forced to use it for now.

I want to get the JDS Labs The Element amp/DAC next, once I get the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000, JVC HA-SZ2000, Sennheiser HD 600, and/or V-MODA Crossfade M-100. Won't be released until the end of this month.

When I auditioned the HD 558, I thought they were overly airy sounding. Not really a natural timbre. I did only hear them with 1 song though, so maybe my brain wasn't used to the headphones.

However, I also auditioned the Sennheiser Momentum for a short time, and I thought the timbre was very good. They just lacked too much treble quantity for my taste, otherwise I would have gotten them.

But the CAL is more or less a Sennheiser Momentum with more treble and the same timbre, with the only downgrade being more bass quantity, but at the same time boomier/less controlled bass quality than the Momentum.

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #1,181 of 3,295
  When I auditioned the HD 558, I thought they were overly airy sounding. Not really a natural timbre. I did only hear them with 1 song though, so maybe my brain wasn't used to the headphones.

However, I also auditioned the Sennheiser Momentum for a short time, and I thought the timbre was very good. They just lacked too much treble quantity for my taste, otherwise I would have gotten them.

But the CAL is more or less a Sennheiser Momentum with more treble and the same timbre, with the only downgrade being more bass quantity, but at the same time boomier/less controlled bass quality than the Momentum.

LOL! Both of you have the same avatar, and I was taken aback by the different writing style before realizing it was a different person talking. XD

Which other open headphones have you heard?

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #1,182 of 3,295

LOL! Both of you have the same avatar, and I was taken aback by the different writing style before realizing it was a different person talking. XD

Which other open headphones have you heard?

I have owned the Philips X1 for 2 weeks, and heard the L1 in the local headphone store with my phone. Also heard the Sennheiser HD 700 in the store with my phone, but I thought they were absolutely terrible from my phone. But I do know they need good amplification, so I wasn't surprised by that.

I thought the X1 sounded decent. But just DECENT, definitely not good or great, especially for the price. They sounded like $40 headphones to me. However, I only used them from my laptops onboard soundcard, so maybe I needed a better DAC/amp.

The L1 were way too dark for me, but their bass was pretty tight imo.

Those are pretty much the only open headphones I have heard.

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #1,183 of 3,295
@MaztotheUla
hmm..
i wouldt recommend buy many headphones at once.
Once you get them you will end up switching from one to another, this way you won't appreciate sound character of headphone.
Your brain will need some time to " grow in" a headphone sound character to appreciate it, by switching back and forward many new headphones you ears will be confused by all the different sonic characteristics of headphone and you won't get a good grip...

To really get a taste of a headphone, listen to it for a while without going to another headphone, till you know it sound character, that takes some time, don't be in a hurry.
Then you will know whats "there" and whats "missing" , that will give you a better idea what the next headphone should bring your ears :wink:

Once you know your headphones (spend some time with each one), theres no problem switching between headphones.
I got 5 headphones laying before me and i switch many times per day, depending on a mood i am ...

if you thinking about geting sennheiser, why not starting with its classic , hd600 ? It has very balanced sound, open and airy , not bright like AKG and not dark like hd650.
with right amp they should give you great allrounder 

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #1,184 of 3,295
  I have owned the Philips X1 for 2 weeks, and heard the L1 in the local headphone store with my phone. Also heard the Sennheiser HD 700 in the store with my phone, but I thought they were absolutely terrible from my phone. But I do know they need good amplification, so I wasn't surprised by that.

I thought the X1 sounded decent. But just DECENT, definitely not good or great for the price They sounded like $40 headphones to me. However, I only used them from my laptops onboard soundcard, so maybe I needed a better DAC/amp.

The L1 were way too dark for me, but their bass was pretty tight imo.

Those are pretty much the only open headphones I have heard.

Oh man, there are some great open headphones out there. You're in for a real treat if you have patience and try out enough of them.

...But so far, the MT220 remains my favorite. Can't afford to buy it again anytime soon, because I'm focusing my budget on trying stuff I haven't heard yet!

i wouldt recommend buy many headphones at once.

At first, I thought you were saying that to me...a person who buys tons of headphones. (mwahaha!)

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #1,185 of 3,295

seriously you are just wasting your money with hd598, poor low end extension, ultimate boring headphone for me.lol... the only good thing about Sennheissers for me is their hd6xx lineup and hd800.  I'd rather recommend more all-rounder like 612pro, if you have a decent amp to drive it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back