Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Feb 17, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #121 of 3,295
  Sinocelt, I have read your thread through before I posted :) . Great thread...What confuses me the most is the debate between open/closed back headphones...Where people say open back headhpones are the best for mixing/mastering, yet most of the debate over the best mixing/mastering cans rages over closed headphones...I would THINK that the HE-400s with some EQing would get a LOT of praise in terms of their mixing capabilities, given their open back, granted they were EQed in the mids...Most of the talk surrounds closed-back headphones, however, for mixing. So it's strange that the semi-open/open headphones that are known for their quality don't get more praise for their mastering capabilities. grizzlybeast, your praise has been what's driving me towards these Yammies, I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger, there's just too many options and too many conflicting opinions. 

The thread I started is about cans that can be used both for monitoring and for mixing/mastering. That's why open cans aren't discussed there are much as they would be if the thread was about cans that can be used for mixing/mastering (and maybe not for monitoring). 

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #123 of 3,295
I've been looking for the exact size specs on the Spirit Pro's earcups though, because I have a pair of headphones with an earcup size that barely fits over my ears and I'd like to compare them. If anyone knows these measurements it'd be much appreciated.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #124 of 3,295
  I've been looking for the exact size specs on the Spirit Pro's earcups though, because I have a pair of headphones with an earcup size that barely fits over my ears and I'd like to compare them. If anyone knows these measurements it'd be much appreciated.

just got the pros in... The yamaha is still an excellent choice.
The pro is good though.

but you must burn them in! The pro is confirming to me how clear the yamaha actually is and its imaging and all is class act.

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #125 of 3,295
Hi all, just got the Yamaha 220 for 2 days, using it as much as possible. One thing I dislike is the hissing, it affects some vocals and some cymbals/shakers etc. Would the burn in/deeper pads eliminate/reduce this?

I like it generally. I have tried NAD HP50 for 2 weeks and find the vocal too forward like in your throat. Lack of sub bass compared to Yamaha. I have to return the NAD due to headband extension problem. Cheers.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #127 of 3,295
I think more like unbalanced high frequency judging by the freq. graph on:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0114/headphone_shootout.htm (last fig.)
The yamaha has this multiple bumps around 10k to 15k.
By adjusting the eq around 16k did reduce the hissing.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #128 of 3,295
^can you guys show me some tracks that you hear it in? I want to compare it to the pro there. @EatSteel @gelocks

gelocks picked up on the hissing right away he mentions this problem but I only heard it on certain songs. I am sure you guys are right on that

I will try the eq you mentioned and look more into it.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #129 of 3,295
  ^can you guys show me some tracks that you hear it in? I want to compare it to the pro there. @EatSteel @gelocks

gelocks picked up on the hissing right away he mentions this problem but I only heard it on certain songs. I am sure you guys are right on that

I will try the eq you mentioned and look more into it.

Hello grizz.
Yeah, I guess I'm used at this point to pick on that quick, but let me point out that it is not necessarily that the hiss was NEVER there, but the bump in highs on this headphone makes it VERY apparent and it can be annoying at times. Lemme see if I can find a quick song here...

Sara Bareilles - Love Song (be aware of the 't's and 's'sss)
Tommy Torres - Tarde o Temprano (the same for this one but in Spanish... LOL)
Tegan and Sara - Goodbye, Goodbye (check on the "first"s and "saw"s in the Chorus especially)

there's probably more but you could use these to compare with your current headphones. So, it's NOT that they are not present in the recording per-se, but the Yammies definitely bumps them.

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #130 of 3,295
Anyone know how these compare to the D2000? Mostly interested in mid range and lead instruments plus bass extension.

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #132 of 3,295
Hi grizz, try Whiskey Lullaby on youtube, Brad voice is fine but Alison voice is a little weird due to the hiss.You can hear the hiss on all the words containing s and c.

I agree with what gelocks described above. Compared to a very bright open hp Roland RHA7 for digital piano, Yamaha hiss is annoying. The Roland also pickup all the details but with its more balanced high freq. sounds better for Alison voice and the hiss is less annoying.

Cheers

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #135 of 3,295
Hi guys,

First post here. Been lurking for the past weeks. Bought the Yamaha based on the experiences described here. As a replacement of the Ultrasone HFI-780 that I lost. Seemed perfect, because of:

+ closed
+ bass impact
+ uncolored
+ fast/lively
+ nice design
+ good price

Been listening to it for 2 weeks now. Amazed at it's transparency. Definitely a set up from the Ultrasone. However, I do experience the hiss and quite harsh s's and cymbals. I like an honest and raw sound, but I'm not using them for professional purposes and I still like to enjoy music that is not perfectly produced.

So I'm in a bit of doubt right now whether they're exactly my cup of tea. Have you guys experienced great differences with different sources? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back