Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Sep 6, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #1,816 of 3,295

I heard some were good for any type of rock or metal.

Interesting.  Yeah, the Grados I had a chance to listen to pretty much only sounded good with the exact genres people are mentioning here.  With rap/hip-hop, funk, jazz, acoustic blues, etc., they sounded like crap, haha.

Even so, I still found them sibilant.  Bleh.  Very "lithpy" sounding "Sssstttthhhsstthhh" snake-like sounds all frigging over the place in the treble and the vocals.  Gross.  Haha.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,817 of 3,295
Interesting.  Yeah, the Grados I had a chance to listen to pretty much only sounded good with the exact genres people are mentioning here.  With rap/hip-hop, funk, jazz, acoustic blues, etc., they sounded like crap, haha.

Even so, I still found them sibilant.  Bleh.  Very "lithpy" sounding "Sssstttthhhsstthhh" snake-like sounds all frigging over the place in the treble and the vocals.  Gross.  Haha.

Which grados exactly did you use?

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,818 of 3,295
Which grados exactly did you use?

Sr60, SR80, RS1, RS2.  Didn't like any of them.  Too bright, sibilant, and overall just kind of "weird" sounding to me.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #1,820 of 3,295
Please tell your set-up to save us time and money.

Do you own the MT220, is this included in the set-up which is way out in front?

Do you think the newer Grado SR80e is as good as the original SR80?

HaD a brief listen to the new sr80e a few weeks ago....
It has a fuller bass, n didn't hear much sibilance,
I think it is "better" than the old 80. :wink:

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #1,822 of 3,295
Curious, what's your favorite top 3 headphones?

Hmmmmmm. . .well. . .I haven't had a chance to listen to very much summit-fi level stuff, but, I really really liked the Audeze LCD-3 that I had a chance to demo.  I also had a chance to listen to the LCD-2, LCD-X, and Sennheiser HD800, all of which are great.  But I'm only going to pick one out of all of those for the summit-fi member of the list, so I'd say my top three, that I've listened to so-far, are:

1.  Audeze LCD-3
2.  Sony MDR-1A (which doesn't sound as good, obviously, as any of the Audeze, nor the HD800, but as I said I;m only picking one from among those)
3.  PSB M4U 1

Ones I really want to try in the future are the HPH MT220 you guys keep raving about, the NAD Viso HP50, and the various offerings from Mr. Speakers.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,823 of 3,295
Hey nabwong, how do you like that Sony UDA-1? What are your favorite headphones?

Hey Alex. I love the Uda-1. If I could describe it in a word, it would be clean. It feels like it disappears and lets each headphone display its own sound signature. Grados sound like grados. Senns sound like senns. That's the way I think it should be. It doesn't boost the bass or treble. Pretty even from high to low.

Aside from the mt220 which I really like after the sorbothane mod, I'm really enjoying my he400 with the sorbothane mod. Really fun signature and versatile. Use this most. Love the old rs1 for classic rock. Ad2000 for electronic music. If I could buy anyone right now, I think I'd get the lcd-x.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,824 of 3,295
Hey Alex. I love the Uda-1. If I could describe it in a word, it would be clean. It feels like it disappears and lets each headphone display its own sound signature. Grados sound like grados. Senns sound like senns. That's the way I think it should be. It doesn't boost the bass or treble. Pretty even from high to low.

Aside from the mt220 which I really like after the sorbothane mod, I'm really enjoying my he400 with the sorbothane mod. Really fun signature and versatile. Use this most. Love the old rs1 for classic rock. Ad2000 for electronic music. If I could buy anyone right now, I think I'd get the lcd-x.

I'm right there with you on the LCD-X. It's a very interesting headphone. Do you have any amplifiers in mind for the LCD-X?

Thanks, I might pick up the UDA-1. I'm surprised Sony is offering something like that.

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,825 of 3,295
I like how I invited a handful of people to this thread and now they've taken it over.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,827 of 3,295

Great mod, it looks like another way to distant the ears from the pads, n to lift the pads off those bassholes
att the same time.

I recommend owners of mt220 to try out some of the easy mods, all,our ears are planted differently :p

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #1,829 of 3,295
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/hyoSy4Cm_yQ[/VIDEO]

Savor this beau-tiful song :wink:

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #1,830 of 3,295
Great mod, it looks like another way to distant the ears from the pads, n to lift the pads off those bassholes
att the same time.

I recommend owners of mt220 to try out some of the easy mods, all,our ears are planted differently :p

Hey Lor

I don't perceive any difference to the distance of the pads. I wrote on my experience with the change specifically on the HE-400 but it also applies to the mt220. Have a read. The mod did amazing things.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-resonance-distortion-of-stax-and-other-phones-with-sorbothane/210#post_11895921

Users who are viewing this thread

Back