Yamaha eph-200 impressions?
Jul 20, 2019 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

prawdziwysimone

100+ Head-Fier
HI!
I am looking for a new set of iems, also i am a big fan of micro drivers and eph-100s. I am thinking about eph-200 but it is hard to get some impressions, i found a few comments about them in a eph-100's discussion but there is not to much about them. Can anyone describe me how are they sounds? What about general tonality? How they sound compare to eph-100 and is it the same driver? (I had like 3 pairs and had some issues with one speaker that stopped working after some time and there is Japan import with no warranty for eph-200 so i am affaird). I am curious if are they easy to drive from an iphone. Had the 100's and loved them so far but it is so hard to get some reviews about 200's, found unboxing of the 200's on bad boy good audio yt page but there is no review, albo i would be so so grateful for frequency response chart of these. thank you:)

Oct 23, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 17
excellent voice and music , extremely good for acoustic / orchestra performance
guitar/ bass - that sense of rhyme is not well performed in this earphone

very great sound stage, but lacking coil " send of sound in the air " feel ( but if you get used to that, you will find the accuracy in the location of sound - other multiple unit armature earphone deliberately dissects the bass from treble and deliver the sound from different channel into ear to mimic the location of the instrument, while excellent coil earphone use resonance with air channel to give bass resonance to mimic the large soundstage as playing in a hall/ theatre)
- this earphone lack both and you will find the sound-stage very restricted initially.
- after detail listening , the accuracy in location of sound is even better than campfire andromeda ( faked soundstage ), acoustune hs1670 ( faked air feel ) and even TF10

you need to consider playing in a small studio
the location and layer are extremely well defined

the clarity and " crystal " treble are well equipped in this earphone
the bass is extremely deep and the response is very quick, giving a great sense of drum
similar to the ER4 , but the sound is far warming, while accurate and detailed
mid - the range coverage is very sufficiency and in some range, such as bass-like female singer like adele , is very good

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 17
Thank you for your thoughts. Is it similar sound signature to eph-100? Or is it more like V-shaped signature? I wonder if there will be enough bass because i found some comments that these iems are neutral in tonal balance and others says that these are v-shaped..I don't know what to think about it, frequency graph highly needed :beyersmile:. I prefer engaging signature with good amount of lows. Can you compare them to any popular Chi-fi Iems like ikko oh10, moondrop kp, fiio fh5, etc.. Thanks anyway

Oct 29, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 17
the only chi-fi I used is KZ zs6 ( there is no similarity between these two earphone; zs 6 is wayyyy larger and faked in soundstage .

no idea whether u have been to any professional music studio / piano examination sound isolation room.
eph-200 behave like a band playing in a studio or a sound-isolated room.
The initial soundstage may make u think that why everything is so intimate to ear, so choked in sound
but after listening to 30 mins or so
you will realize everything is very accurate in location

bass is very very responsive, not a bit of excessive bass and drum
vocal is excellent
piano and violin are well in place
nth faked

the closest earphone I would consider similar is
er4 but with more decent, deep and controlled bass
or i can say ......... It is a non-ear-smoothening version of klipsch X10 ( coz klipsch tunes the earphone warmer and wider in soundstage )
this earphone is truly truly a reflection of real studio sound ( Sony Mdr7550 also tuned to be wider in soundstage, but not as faked as other earphone )

the most important condition that this earphone can outweigh most of the earphone is
playing orchestra
- all those faked soundstage earphone will merge sound into a blend of sound ( the best joke I have is when playing " liszt - la campanella " on piano, the sound element in other earphone deliberately separates a piano sound into high and low and place in two locations
- only er4, eph200, X10 and X11, mdr7550, panasonic HDE10 can give " analysible" sound for the location of instrument for orchestra

engaging soundstage u mean shure 846 ?
it is very very extremely faked in term of vocal and soundstage, vocal too closed to be so faked
eph 200 has more smoothed vocal ( if you know female voice, you will notice a trait of low inside the highs ; eph200, philips S2, panasonic HDE10 )
and the location of vocal is just right

good amount of bass or u mean excessive bass ?
eph200 has very very accurate and very deep bass
but it retracts very quickly like REAL instrument
never have a bit of excess in the bass

my list of earphone
UE tf10, UE900s, Etymotic Research er4, klipsch X10, X11i, yamaha eph200, panasonic RP-HDE10, Sony mdr7550, AKG N30, KZ zs6, campfire andromeda, acoustune hs1670, shure 846, philips S2

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 17
Final question, bass quantity compared to andromeda? I know, bass is quick and precise but I mean if i listen to for example 2pac or house tracks are these IEM's able to provide enjoyable energy on lows where i can feel a sub-bass?

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 17
I just bought these:
Yamaha EPH-200 - Initial impressions:
Very clean sounding. Tight bass, which is all about the sub-bass. Great impact and rumble. Zero bleed.
Vocals are perfectly placed, lacks a touch of warmth.
Treble is very well tuned, greatly detailed, never sounds harsh. NOT thin sounding. Cymbals and crashed have great body.
Soundstage is really special, puts you right in the middle of music. Stage has great height and depth. Lots of over the head sounds.
Dynamic driver timbre is perfect! Loving it. I can only see this getting better over time.
Oh, and piano especially sounds great in these!

Yamaha EPH200 measurements:

Vs Ocharaku Donguri Ti Plus:

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 17
I too noticed they are no longer for sale on Amazon :frowning2: I will paste my review I wrote for them a while ago to at least leave my impression on these beauties:

I first heard these EPH200 headphones at Yodobashi camera when visiting Tokyo. I also demoed many very expensive headphones that day, including flagship Sennheisers. I didn't listen too these Yamahas for very long, but they left quite an impression in my mind of "wow!" but was more than I felt comfortable spending on iem headphones at that time. I also really liked the Final Sonorous VI which are amazing in every way but they were nearly 3 times more; yet these Yamahas were't too far behind so I later decided were a good compromise. When I got home I tried to find these Yamahas online for possibly cheaper than Yodobashi had them, but they are only sold from Japan. After finally finding a pair I had to wait about 2-3 weeks. No USA warranty and it may be hard to find replaceable ear tips and cables that fit these but I took the risk since these sound that good. I recently sold a pair of Final Audio E2000 which were ok but always sounded too boring. The EPH200 are not super treble heavy either but there is definitely enough there and much more details revealed, maybe as much as my Sony V6 headphones but nowhere near as harsh. And these Yamahas also have a lot more bass, more than I could ever expect from such a small 6mm driver. It has good attack and energy in the music that it can get my feet tapping or head nodding depending on the track, whereas the Final e2000 (also a hi res audio rated earphone) could never bring this enjoyment. The Yamahas also have fairly good bass extension, though I think the Sony V6 and my Power Sound Audio XV15 subwoofer may surpass it in the deepest frequencies :wink: When listening to tracks I am very familiar with, just streaming on my computer, I sometimes have had to stop and see if a song was a remix or something since there are so many parts that I was missing before. They have actually made me smile quite a bit and laugh out loud a couple times too. I'd say these are definitely worth the hi res designation. Treble is detailed and extended yet smooth. The overall sound I'd describe as full, neutral, and pleasant (not super bright and clinical like a Sony V6), yet still having superb separation and detail even with complex music. The mids are realistic, in that violins sound like violins etc. About on par with my CBM-170 monitor speakers to be honest. I cannot comment on amping these or using with a dedicated dac but I can only imagine it would improve the sound. What led me to them them is they sounded great plugged into my cell phone and they fit well and stay in great too. The build quality is sufficient, they feel like little trumpet valves, and the metal parts probably help with dampening internal resonance and the sound quality. I just wish the L-shaped plug was a little beefier. The extra tips and Yamaha case are nice too.

Oct 22, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #11 of 17
my EPH-100 just died cant get the 200s ..now i know why ..gutted ..can anyone recommend an alternative ? also do we know why they would discontinue a great product ?
I went from EPH-200 to Etymotic ER2 SE which are very detailed and neutral sounding. Didn't feel like a downgrade to me. I use the grey foam tips but make sure you get a good seal with whatever tips work best for you.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #12 of 17
To get the most out of the Yamaha Eph-200, the most important factor is synergy. It’s feel like you meeting some generic person in your class but slowly with a few small talk and sharing, she become your crush!
1st episode: stock cable & tips with iPod Touch gen 6: I feel like the sound is thin, vocal just express halfway, lacking both low and high extensions
2nd episode: swapping with Final E5000 cable, spinfit CP155 & iPod T g6: oh so full body and expressive vocals. Listen to Kobasolo playlist, just feel like you are dating with your crush but the feeling is just too strong & you get bass fatigue.
3rd episode: try the date with USB Dac: nuprime Hi-mdac signature, Questyle M12 fw 9399, Quloos MC01se, none of them bring me closer to my crush like iPod gen 6. ( I guess the IEM is released in the 2015-2017 which the sound profile is designed for iPod)
Tip: Try the Eph-200 with warm and intimate stage but highly detail source.
Final episode: swapping the cable to Sony MUC-M12SM2 and I had find the love of my life. The sound play as a whole which I only stop listen to protect from hearing damage!
If you listen to Jpop, this IEM is definitely express the song the best way as possible.
I’m someone who need music to move my life but not audiophile so I can not elaborate on the Technicality and Tuning.
30/12 edit: I must be wrong when I judge the sound base on these Portable Dac above: it find the sound is more organic and engaging when play on Windows Media Player and iTunes than Foobar2000

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 17
It’s feel like you meeting some generic person in your class but slowly with a few small talk and sharing, she become your crush!
This is pretty accurate, at first listen I was let down and thought I just overpaid for generic headphones but after a couple minutes my ears got more familiar and the details and wow factor came alive.

Dec 25, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #14 of 17
This is pretty accurate, at first listen I was let down and thought I just overpaid for generic headphones but after a couple minutes my ears got more familiar and the details and wow factor came alive.
Yeah, everything I try the Eph-200, I still be amazed by the sound.
The E4000 have the upfront vocal, easy to listen, but not in a way that you know it’s your crush and listen to her voice, you knew that she also in lobe with you.
The E5000 have great slam but the bass do not have the distinct characters on each songs.
I don’t have other mainstream IEM such as Moondrop or Harman target IEM… to compare, but so far I’m very happy with eph-200.
If a little bit nitpicking, I would like a little more sparkling and air in the high.
And I ended up buying a 2nd pair, so wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back