Yamaha EPH-100 vs JVC FXD80 vs VSONIC GR07 IEM's
Oct 15, 2012 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

koreanzombie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, my first thread. I think these 3 IEM's are well rated and are good value around the £100/$160 mark. I wanted to know which of the 3 IEM's is better suited for hip hop, rnb, pop, chillstep, trance? And are there any other IEM I should consider? Thanks.

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 34
The GR07 are very good sounding and better for almost all genres music with good punchy bass, clear mids, highs and fairly wide soundstage.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 34
Haven't heard the GR07's but i have the FXD80's and EPH-100.

It all boils down to what you prefer, the fxd has a lush timbre, smooth vocals and great detail.

But the eph has more bass punch, are more immersive and have better separation, they're pretty laid back as well.

The yamahas love trance, the fxd are the better all rounders.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:
Haven't heard the GR07's but i have the FXD80's and EPH-100.

It all boils down to what you prefer, the fxd has a lush timbre, smooth vocals and great detail.

But the eph has more bass punch, are more immersive and have better separation, they're pretty laid back as well.

The yamahas love trance, the fxd are the better all rounders.

what about the subbass? how do they compare?
I'm also debating between the eph-100s and fxd80's. i don't mind a decrease in bass punch but I do mind if it's subbbass

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 34
Comfort wise excellent, one of the best universals i've tried.

Never seen anyone use comply, nor even mention it i guess they fit that well no one has any need to.

Atomik, im afraid yes the fxd is less in the sub bass. It's there but soon as you turn up the bass it becomes a bit bloated.

If you really value bass, go with the eph.

The jvc's beat them soundly for detail mind.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 34
I wouldn't pick the EPH-100 for the genres you listed. While it has good bass I think you could do better with the treble quality. Most of the strengths for me in the EPH-100 is its instrument separation and excellently smooth mid-range.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #10 of 34
what is chillstep? lol

Anyways, I've heard all three, and have owned the first two. Your statement of genre preference basically means: you want bass. to the above: highs, really? in hip hop, rnb, trance, pop? So don't even think about the GR-07. Between the EPH-100 and the FXD-80, I would take the EPH-100, as it has better bass extension. The mids of these two are similar, as well as the bass quality, but I think the EPH-100 is also more airy, which is good (to me). If I really had to choose between the three, I would pick the EPH-100.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 34
^^^See i find that strange, to my ears the fxd is more airy as they're open anyway or at least partially.

I think the eph give a wider, more 3d presentation which i suppose is easy to mistake for being airy, but they're closed and i can tell this when listening.

But id still suggest the eph myself, and odd for daareon to suggest better highs when the above genres don't really demand it.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 34
great info.
ok. now. what if for some reason instead of music filled with bass, i decided i wanted to listen to acoustic or vocal heavy music.
does the eph-100 still beat the fxd80? or heck. fxt90?

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:
great info.
ok. now. what if for some reason instead of music filled with bass, i decided i wanted to listen to acoustic or vocal heavy music.
does the eph-100 still beat the fxd80? or heck. fxt90?

Nope that is where the fxd shines, it has finesse and will easily pick out the details, i love the eph for jazz but that's more for instrument separation and their laid back nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back