Yamaha EPH-100 or another IEM for <$200?
Jun 29, 2012 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Katelw

New Head-Fier
Hello! So I’m looking for some new earphones to use with my ipod. I had some Bose IEMs, but the plug is starting to break. They’re the first earphones I’ve had besides the cheapo dollar store ones, I had them for about a year and they cost a little under $100. From lurking around here a little bit, it seems like Bose doesn’t have a great reputation, and also I’m just ready to get higher quality sound. I’m still on a student budget though – I’ve saved up a little bit and am looking for the best option (reasonably flexibly) in the 150-200 dollar range. I think the Yamaha EPH-100 might be good, but I’ve only looked around a little bit. What do you think?

I need to order these kind of soon – it’s disrupting my life not to have good earphones, lol. I just don’t know what I’m looking for, since I haven’t gotten the chance to try out different ones. I also prefer a somewhat durable construction (and a carrying case would be nice),… I use them daily walking at school, sleep with them in, and wrap them around my ipod to toss them in my purse, so they get a lot of abuse (wonder why my others broke lol).

If it helps, I listen to alternative, classic rock, top 40, classical,… a little bit of everything, but I don’t really listen to too much music with a very heavy bass. Anyway, since you guys at this forum seem to be the experts, I was hoping you could help me out here, I’m lost with all these model numbers lol.

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 22
Right now there are a variety of popular quality IEMs that can be had far under 150$

I'd say take a look at these ones:
JVC FXD80
JVC FXT90
YAMAHA EPH-100 as you mentioned
Audio-Technica CKM500
Vsonic G07

These are the ones people have been gushing over for the past couple months. The FXD80 and CKM500 are only available through Japanese sites / sellers right now. The FXT90 is available in Canada at futureshop for around 100$ i think, then slap on those taxes so around 120. The yamahas I personally ordered from audioaffair as did many others. The gr07 can be found at around 130 right now because of the new version coming out. I don't have any experience with the sonic differences so i'd get started with the reading!

I'd say as of right now the CKM500 and FXD80 are the most desired FOTM. I WANT THEM TOO T_T

edit: don't make your decision too quickly! I have this problem too...when I want something i research about it and I just buy it the same day 
because I am too impatient. Sometimes I pay sometimes I don't ^^
There are many other options I listed...those are just the ones that stick out to me currently at the price range!

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 22
Yamaha EPH-100 are hot right now and for good reason, I think they'll suit your genres well. I have another suggestion, Vsonic GRO7 but they must be worn over the ear if you're cool with that? Another nice one I highly recommend for you is Klipsch X10. All come with a carry case, extra tips / accessories. Owning all three myself Klipsch X10 would probably have a little more style in their appearance closely followed by EPH-100 however, all would be considered upgrades over your previous pair having great clarity and separation. Any of those choices would be a great earphone. In favour of build I would choose EPH-100 or GRO7. 

Check out the Klipsch X10, they're one stylish great sounding IEM. 
smile.gif

Here's a huge review thread if you haven't seen it already. Find the ones I mentioned having a read.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-244-iems-compared-yamaha-eph-100-monster-miles-davis-trumpet-added-06-19-12

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 22
I love the look of the gr07 so much...it is a very nice-looking IEM.  You always find attractive what you don't have..sigh.
Have the new ones come out yet? If so, how are they?

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
I love the look of the gr07 so much...it is a very nice-looking IEM.  You always find attractive what you don't have..sigh.
Have the new ones come out yet? If so, how are they?

There's a MKII out for sale on ebay right now, and apparently soon hitting 'lend me your ears' in the next few weeks? but all it really has is a revised cable, I have a pair here from that ebay seller, I can't compare to the original version because I don't own one, but I'm very happy with mine, I have retired my TF10 for them atm if that means anything. I think the changes to MKII would very subtle being the main change is only the cable. There'a also a GRO7 bass edition coming out so I've heard, not sure when though. 

I just get all this info from the GRO7 impression thread. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:
There's a MKII out for sale on ebay right now, and apparently soon hitting 'lend me your ears' in the next few weeks? but all it really has is a revised cable, I have a pair here from that ebay seller, I can't compare to the original version because I don't own one, but I'm very happy with mine, I have retired my TF10 for them atm if that means anything. I think the changes to MKII would very subtle being the main change is only the cable. There'a also a GRO7 bass edition coming out so I've heard, not sure when though. 

I just get all this info from the GRO7 impression thread. 
tongue_smile.gif

Miam....
tongue_smile.gif

My main concern for the GR07 would have to be the over ear design, since I do wear glasses on most days. Otherwise i'm looking to pair my yamahas with something 
complementary and I think a more neutral sounding set would be great. Either that or something with more emphasis on the mids and highs. I've been carefully reading
about the CKM500s and the FXD90s but it gets quite hard when you can only imagine how they sound in comparison in your head.

Sorry i'm so offtopic lol

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 22
I wonder what I'm going to recommend.................. you guessed it the R-50.  My go to IEM and one of the best you can get under $200, the sound quality is great and they have one of the best soundstages I've heard from any IEM.

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 22
Thanks for all the help! :) Now I'm pretty torn between the GR07 and the Yamaha EPH-100's. From what I've read the GR07s seem to be built a little better, and have a more balanced sound (correct me if I'm wrong?) but then I don't like the over ear thing, because it looks a little odd and would take longer to put them in, and especially because I sometimes wear glasses and am worried it would be annoying. I've also read that they don't sound as good out of the box and that you have to burn them in, and I've also read that there's not very good isolation. They're also 30 dollars more (but they come with a ton of accesories and a hard case). The Yamaha are cheaper and the good isolation that people are talking about is a big plus. They also have a comfortable looking earpiece (though maybe big? I have small ears lol). But they look like they might not be as sturdy, and I'm worried that they're not as versatile music wise. I keep going back and forth... overall, which one do you think would be better for lots of everyday use with various genres? I'm trying not to rush into this - you're right, stevenlongs, I rush into everything I buy online lol.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 22
If you have it down to just the GR07 and EPH-100 I go with the EPH-100 though you really should checkout the Rockit R-50.  I have all 3 IEM's and the R-50 is the best of the bunch with its warm, deatiled sound signature along with an airy and open soundstage and its awesome imaging and separation.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 22
I agree with Techno Kid, go for the EPH-100. It's what you were set on at first, they truly are excellent for the money and user friendly. GRO7 does require hundreds of hours burn in, it must be worn over the ear to be comfortable. For everyday use take the EPH, the build is strong enough. 

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
Okay, I've ordered the EPH-100 :). Now I just have to wait for them to arrive :) Thanks for all your help everybody!

Enjoy your purchase. If you have time pop in and tell us what you think of them. 
smile.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:
Err, im in this same boat, now seeing you go for the eph100's is making me shy away from the r07's. What exactly makes them better than the r07's again?

The OP was looking for something that suits everyday casual use worn down, not over the ear. Considering the intense burn in procedure (which mine are going through right now) GRO7 need to settle treble regions with a recommended 200 - 300 hours burn. / plus OP not wanting to wear something over the ear, they decided to go with EPH-100.

Both are great IEM's. Check the Yamaha EPH-100 thread first page, there are a few comparisons from experienced members regarding the two. I can't give any real opinions since my GRO7 are in the church of burn temple and will need those hours (at least 100) to compare properly. However, if you have any questions PM me I will try to give my best impression. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back