y1 gamma-1 DAC
Jan 6, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #197 of 1,546
Check for cold joints on U3U, in particular pin 2 (the middle one on the side with 3). It should be connected to ground. You can use the ground strips along the edges of the board for your DMM.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #198 of 1,546
My boards + stuff and custom plates arrived today. Thanks Ti
k701smile.gif

Regards

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #199 of 1,546
I reflowed U2U and U3U still ~4.5 volts on the 3.3v test point.

Is it possible i may have damaged one of the SMD's? And if so, how do i test if they are dead?

Also the computer does not recognize the usb board if that helps.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #200 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bismar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reflowed U2U and U3U still ~4.5 volts on the 3.3v test point.

Is it possible i may have damaged one of the SMD's? And if so, how do i test if they are dead?

Well, before you gebugging anything else, the supply voltage has to be right first. That leaves only the voltage regulator chips themselves. Did you use the wrong chip for U3U? What does its markings say?

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #202 of 1,546
Ok, so it's the correct chip. Aside from bad solder joints there is not much else that could cause the voltage to be incorrect, unless the regulator itself is blown (as an internal short).

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #203 of 1,546
U2U reads A08G.
U3U reads LORA.

I don't have spares of either of those, only have a spare PCM2707 but that's hard to remove and i wouldn't want to unless you guys are really sure.

I already tried reflowing the joints, so i don't think its a bad solder joint. Is there anything else i can test ? Maybe some other component thats linked to either of those chips under power?

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #204 of 1,546
Nothing will cause the voltage regulator to output more voltage than what it's supposed to output, unless its ground reference pin is not making contact to circuit ground, or there is a short circuit from its input to output (which could be an internal short due to a blown regulator, or a solder bridge somewhere, or a PCB defect). You said that you/ve reflowed the regulator's joints, so you've probably eliminated the first possibility. That leaves the others. Have you measured the resistance between pins 1 and 5 of the voltage regulator chip?

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #205 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing will cause the voltage regulator to output more voltage than what it's supposed to output, unless its ground reference pin is not making contact to circuit ground, or there is a short circuit from its input to output (which could be an internal short due to a blown regulator, or a solder bridge somewhere, or a PCB defect). You said that you/ve reflowed the regulator's joints, so you've probably eliminated the first possibility. That leaves the others. Have you measured the resistance between pins 1 and 5 of the voltage regulator chip?

Pin 1-5 = 1339 ohms
Pin 2- Ground strips = 0 ohms

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #206 of 1,546
Come to think of it, Pin 1-5 should be way more ohms then that, seeing its off unless the multimeter somehow made the logic go high.

Ok maybe not, the U5D chip on the other board shows 1160 ohms.

In fact most of its resistance to ground is similar to the one on the USB board.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #208 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would try removing U3U and see if the short persists on the board, or if it's within the chip.

So, if i remove it from the board i should expect 0 volts at 3.3v test point? How about the 5v test point?

And if i still get a voltage at the 3.3v test point then it's a short from somewhere else?

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #209 of 1,546
That's correct, without U3U there shouldn't be any voltage at the 3.3V test point. The 5V test points should still be about 5V when it's plugged into the USB port. Obviously, without a 3.3V to supply the chips the computer won't detect anything.

If you still get more than a couple volts at the 3.3V test point without U3D, then there is a short somewhere on the board.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #210 of 1,546
Hahahah.

This is gold, somehow by measuring each of the pins resistance to ground, i have made it to work.

Pretty much decided to test it one last time before i proceeded to desolder it and it WORKS!!!

Thanks for all your help amb and MisterX.

Windows detects it, and i am now playing some music through it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back