y1 gamma-1 DAC
Aug 20, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, that was only posted 6 days ago. Definitely sounds like it would be much higher quality than the AlienDAC. Wonder how much it would cost for the BOM?

There's not even a schematic yet so it's a bit premature to compare it to anything or to be guessing at home much it'll cost to build.

It does sound like an interesting little project although I suspect a lot of SMD work which I'm not all that fond of. I see a new work source in my future...

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 1,546
It looks like it will fill in the space between PCM2702 DACs and Twisted Pear's stuff. $50 or $500+...where's the middle? This could be it.

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's not even a schematic yet so it's a bit premature to compare it to anything or to be guessing at home much it'll cost to build.

Fair enough, but the DAC chip being used is higher quality than the PCM2702 used in the Alien, right? As long as it's well implemented, which is probably a pretty safe assumption, it should be a good step ahead, but of course it will probably be a step ahead cost-wise also.

I'm keeping my eyes open for both the new BantamDAC and this one.

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read the top of the thread. AMB is talking through hole except for the chips.

Ah, I missed that on first read. Lovely!

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 1,546
Looks like I'll be watching [yet another AMB project] with great interest. My poor wallet
frown.gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it possible to add the metronome ASRC module from twisted pear to build a nice upsampling home DAC?

Later in the thread AMB says he wants to design a high end DAC with that capability too (not necessarily from twisted pear):

link

Fun times ahead...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back