y1 gamma-1 DAC
Jan 7, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #211 of 1,546
Btw, your photos don't show a jumper across the VCC and VBUS pins on J2U. You have to install one for this test...

EDIT: Oops, we were posting at the same time.

Yeah, so it's a solder joint issue after all.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #212 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, your photos don't show a jumper across the VCC and VBUS pins on J2U. You have to install one for this test...

EDIT: Oops, we were posting at the same time.

Yeah, so it's a solder joint issue after all.

How can it be a solder joint? All i did was measure the pins to ground strips with a multimeter and it worked somehow
ph34r.gif

Didn't even go near the soldering iron. Maybe the chip was somehow stuck.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #213 of 1,546
By exerting pressure on the chip's pin(s) you have made a previously-unconnected joint make contact. This is probably temporary until you reflow the suspect joint to permantly fix it.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #214 of 1,546
Quote:

By exerting pressure on the chip's pin(s) you have made a previously-unconnected joint make contact. This is probably temporary until you reflow the suspect joint to permantly fix it.

Fair enough. I'll do it later, time to enjoy the DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #216 of 1,546
Sorry, Jeff (Glassjar Audio) has his hands quite full at the moment so there is no full kit available. Aside from the PCB and parts from me, all the other parts are readily available from Digikey/Mouser/Farnell/RS, etc. See the official γ1 website for details.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #217 of 1,546
Quote:

Sorry, Jeff (Glassjar Audio) has his hands quite full at the moment so there is no full kit available. Aside from the PCB and parts from me, all the other parts are readily available from Digikey/Mouser/Farnell/RS, etc. See the official γ1 website for details.

If my Mini^3 project is a success, I'll order the parts for the Gamma-1 DAC. I take it the Gamma-1 would be a step-up from my Creative soundcard? I was looking at purchasing the Musical Fidelity V-DAC, however, I presume the Gamma-1 would probably be on-par if not better than it (And I do enjoy the pleasures of DIY).

Thanks AMB.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #219 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If my Mini^3 project is a success, I'll order the parts for the Gamma-1 DAC. I take it the Gamma-1 would be a step-up from my Creative soundcard? I was looking at purchasing the Musical Fidelity V-DAC, however, I presume the Gamma-1 would probably be on-par if not better than it (And I do enjoy the pleasures of DIY).

Thanks AMB.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you go with Digi-Key for the parts you can just use the already done (and great) aussie Group-buy BOM: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5131615-post1.html

fordgtlover made a great job!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #220 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you go with Digi-Key for the parts you can just use the already done (and great) aussie Group-buy BOM: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5131615-post1.html

fordgtlover made a great job!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, that BOM ended up working out great for the full config. Though fordgtlover did end up swapping over to resistors from Farnell to save us a little money.

Also, we ended up buying PCM2706 instead of 2707, due to weirdness with the 2707 stock levels. The 2706 is pin compatible and works perfectly in my build.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #223 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by koike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: found the problem
smily_headphones1.gif

...... well don't edit it out. Tell us what the problem was, and how you fixed it.

Can be very helpful to others that way!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #224 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhys h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im stuck between buying a cambridge dacmagic or building one of these!

I've been slacking on my y1 parts order, otherwise I'd be able to offer you a comparative review. Soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back