y1 gamma-1 DAC
Jan 10, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #226 of 1,546
how's everyone from the aussie GB going with this?? hasnt been any movement over on the thread since the parts arrived. I myself havent got the time to do the build just yet and also need to decide on a case so I can use my eichmann RCA socket and switchcraft chassis mount mini I may well have been able to use the regular case, as the eichmann isnt actually that big, we'll see once i've put the boards together some time after next week. but i'm keen to hear from any of teh aussies that have done the build or are in the middle of it. there hasnt been any chatter, whats going on???

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #227 of 1,546
yeah thats true beefy.
didnt think about that when i edited.

here was the problem. i couldnt get windows to detect the USB board.
and that i couldnt get the 3.3V at the test point. I read what amb said a few posts ago and reflowed U3U and it worked!

Everything worked fine. built it in approximately 5 hours.
its feeding my aego m now.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #228 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there hasnt been any chatter, whats going on???

Just posting in a different place!
smily_headphones1.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/pos...ml#post5251895

[EDIT] And Headwize too...... but it seems to be broken?!?
confused.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #229 of 1,546
I got the parts back on monday from the GB but unfortunately my soldering iron is out of commission... to compound the problem I am overseas for a month very soon so...
Nice to see other's having a good time with it thou o(^-^)o

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #230 of 1,546
Built mine, had been debugging it in this thread in the last few pages. It's all working now
smily_headphones1.gif

Haven't gotten around to taking a picture of it, because well it would look the same as everyone elses :p

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #231 of 1,546
I've nearly finished the two I ordered as part of the Aussie GB. I spent nearly the entire day soldering: nearly finished off two MiniMAX's and a made it a long way through the two y1's.

TBH, I absolutely loath SMD. I've been resisting it for a while but should I get an adjustable temp iron? As I got towards the end of the SMD soldering I was seriously wondering which would be more painful: continuing with the soldering or just sticking the iron in my right eye. I'm using a 55W (I think) Goot pencil but with the fine tip its nigh impossible to keep the tip tinned, which meant I had a mongrel of a time getting good heat transfer into the joints.

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #232 of 1,546
Daveze, did you use any flux? If not, that's most of the problem. If you were using flux, then maybe you used too little?

As the saying goes... flux is the magic sauce.
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #233 of 1,546
I've ordered all the parts for the y1. Before I start, I'm just wondering what temperature is recommended for doing SMD parts? My soldering station can go up to 450 degrees celsius. Is it better to have a slightly higher temperature but with the minimum amount of contact with the pins? Hopefully the project goes well, and I'll get some pictures up in the coming weeks. I'm also doing a Mini^3, and I hope that y1 paired with the Mini^3 is a step up from my Creative soundcard.
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #235 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Daveze, did you use any flux? If not, that's most of the problem. If you were using flux, then maybe you used too little?

As the saying goes... flux is the magic sauce.
wink.gif

I got the Kester #951 No-clean and the #186 type RMA pens from Digikey.
I bought them specifically for the Gamma 1, but I don't find much info on using solder pens here or elsewhere.

What do you use?

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #236 of 1,546
amb,
i realize that it wasn't apart of the the portable design goals, but would there be any significant benefit from powering the gamma-1 with a sigma 11 PS for desktop use?

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #238 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A σ11 setup for 5V could be used, but it would certainly be beyond overkill.

i'm o.k. with overkill, but "beyond overkill" is maybe a bit too much
normal_smile .gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #239 of 1,546
I'm having difficulty in getting the USB board to output 3.3v at the test point. I've already replaced the TPS79333DBVR and reflowed the joints for surrounding parts.

I've tested resistance between 3.3v TP and ground, got ~60kOhms. About the same between 5v TP and ground.

Between pins 1 and 5 of TPS79333DBVR, I get ~50kOhms. Between pin 2 and ground, I get 0 ohms.

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #240 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've ordered all the parts for the y1. Before I start, I'm just wondering what temperature is recommended for doing SMD parts? My soldering station can go up to 450 degrees celsius. Is it better to have a slightly higher temperature but with the minimum amount of contact with the pins? Hopefully the project goes well, and I'll get some pictures up in the coming weeks. I'm also doing a Mini^3, and I hope that y1 paired with the Mini^3 is a step up from my Creative soundcard.
tongue.gif

I use the same temperature (325C) for SMD or through hole; the temp depends on the type of solder you use (lead/tin, or lead-free). At this temperature, I find it takes 1.5-2 seconds per pin on IC smd, 1.5-2 seconds per side for 0805 size smd, and and 2-2.5 seconds per side for 1206 size smd. Through hole soldering at this temp takes 2-4 seconds per joint, depending on the size of the leads.
For lead-free solder, I use just over 375C, but I have only done a small bit of soldering with it so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back