y does my headphone wire get all gooey
Jul 23, 2007 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

spanket

New Head-Fier
i opened up my grado headphone and theres all sticky green goo over one of the wires, the positive wire is all clean its just the ground has all crap over it. wat causes this and is it a problem

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 15
Stop sneezing into your headphones.

blink.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 15
You've been waiting three years for an answer to this? ROFL.

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 15
I wonder if that is some of the hot melt glue that Grado uses when assembling the headphones?  Maybe it's oozing due to heat?  Are they stored near something hot like a radiator or baseboard heater?  Or maybe it's there intentionally to act as a strain relief for the wires?

I don't know.  I've never opened up a Grado headphone to see what's inside.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 15
Maybe it's some sort of corrosion mixing in with the glue or something?

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 15
Did you put the glue directly on the bare wire ends? Copper corrosion is usually green. It's probably just a combination of all the glue remelting, some corrosion because they're touching the bare wires, and possibly a bit of flux mixed in if you didn't clean that up afterwards. As Ham Sandwich mentioned, also make sure you don't store them near a heat source, or anywhere damp for that matter.

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Did you put the glue directly on the bare wire ends? Copper corrosion is usually green. It's probably just a combination of all the glue remelting, some corrosion because they're touching the bare wires, and possibly a bit of flux mixed in if you didn't clean that up afterwards. As Ham Sandwich mentioned, also make sure you don't store them near a heat source, or anywhere damp for that matter.

well from your post I found the explanation
biggrin.gif

its all a chemical reaction between the flux in my solder and the copper

this doc explains it all
http://www.kester.com/Portals/0/Knowledge_Base_Articles/GreenCorrosion_Global.pdf

Quote:
Abietic acid when heated combines directly with the
oxide on the copper surface, yielding a copper abietate. This is the green, soapy looking
material which resembles corrosion products of copper.

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 15
Ha!  They've got a FAQ for green slime.  ::green_poison_control_mr_yuk_smiley::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back