Xonar Essense stx Random LOUD high pitched Ringing Noise?
Sep 24, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #378 of 400
I don't have those registry entries. Not sure why the Graphic Driver section would affect the sound card. I still get the screech and this is the third system the card has been in. All have experienced the SOD.
I have had it pop up just during a You Tube video. Very unpredictable and definitely an issue. I usually just select a different playback device when I don't need the ASUS on. I told my wife to sue ASUS if I am found dead in my office from a heart attack.

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #379 of 400
Typically any video playback, games, anything that involves video processing, will also include audio playback. What appears to be happening is that the combination of the two is causing a dpc latency issue, which causes a fault, and it's that fault that is causing the "SOD". If you don't have those settings in your registry, you can simply add them. If they don't fix the problem, just delete them and post back here.

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #382 of 400
I edited the following in my original post in this thread. I was still having issues with crashing coming out of sleep, and it seemed to be related to this issue, so I changed the values again, and it seems to have helped significantly. Note that with the TdrLimitCount entry I have an 8 core processor and I changed that value to be a multiple of 8. That may or may not be silly, but as I posted above, your mileage with these settings will likely vary depending on your hardware. If you find settings that work better for you, please post them here and let us know.

Code:
TdrDelay changed from 2 to 10
TdrDdiDelay changed from 5 to 20
TdrLimitTime changed from 60 to 120
TdrLimitCount changed from 5 to 32

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #383 of 400
Hey everyone, i have the loud white noise issue since a long time. (Asus Xonar DX)
I read quite a lot of this thread, and since nothing seems to solve the problem with certainty on Windows, i want to share what "solved" it on my PC.

On my PC, i resolve the problem by setting windows volume to 100% (which is equal to Xonar volume to 100%, or Control Panel / Sound setting to 100%, all are the same for me).
I had the issue, frequently, like once or twice a week, mosly from Youtube (Firefox user), and also from UAC popup (so system's sounds i guess) but maybe from other source as well.
One day when having the issue, i just played with windows sound volume to see if it changed the noise (no) but when at 100% the noise went off.
With volume at 100%, several month passed and the bug never occured. I reinstalled Windows 10 recently for other purposes, still fine. (no UNI drivers for sure, just windows update if i'm correct.)

Now, if i came on this forum, it's because i searched for a more convenient solution as my old headphone died, and my new one have no volume control included, so i want to decrease windows volume from 100%.
That's what i did, and guess what, loud white noise the following day. So here i am.
But as it seems there is no true solution, i will go back to 100% volume as it totally resolve the issue for me. I will then adjust app setting, mute sound system, etc... everytime it will be necessary (with the risk of uncontrolled very loud app sound coming from time to time)

Good luck !

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #384 of 400
Hello everyone, I also have this "scratch of death" and random loose in rear channel volume with Xonar D1.
I had this card on 3 PC configs, and OS like XP, Win7 and Win10. I never had problems when I was using AMD FX cpu and AMD RX gpu(win7 and 10), rarely loose of volume and that's it. "SOD" reappeared after I moved on Intel platform with Nvidia rtx gpu, and because new motherboards don't have anymore PCI slots I used PCI to PCI-E adapter for the sound card. I also tried different versions of drivers, however no change (UNi drivers with low dpc made it worse).
Did anyone tried Llewen registry fix ?

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #386 of 400
I no longer had the SOD problem on Windows 10, but I can say I switched to Debian GNU Linux and I have had no issues with sound since, no audio related crashes that I know of, and certainly no "Screech of Death".

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #387 of 400
The random 12 kHz scream is definitely rooted in hardware incompatibility of the C-Media® CMI-8700-series DSP's with the Vista audio stack, which complicated drivers for everybody supporting Windows 6-up. I transferred my own STX to a LinUX rig, and the CMI-8788 is actually supported with two drivers from the Advanced LinUX Sound Architecture Project: snd-oxygen for the AUZENTECH® X-series cards and their competition (except the X-Fi Prelude, which uses the E-MU®/Creative Technology CA20K1, and the X-Fi Forte and Home Theater HD, which use the E-MU®/Creative Technology CA20K2), snd-virtuoso for the ASUS® XONAR® Series.

I likewise went Creative for the ASUS® CM1630-06, and the Creative Laboratories® SB1550 Sound Blaster® Audigy® RX™, which packs the E-MU®/Creative Technology CA10300-IAT (direct descendant of the CA0108 last used in the SB0400 Audigy2 Value), is fully supported in Win 10.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #389 of 400
Hello guys.

I recently bought a Fidelio X2HR, it is a low impedance headphone (30 ohms) and has a power limit of 500 mW. Anyone knows if this issue can damage my new headphones? I have the same card as the OP, it drives headphones all the way up to 600 ohms.

I think I am getting rid of this card because I don't need that kind of power anymore and I did the mental calculation that I prefer onboard over this bomb over my ears.

May 15, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #390 of 400
I hope this post can be helpful in pinpointing the issue.
I've had win7 x64 and the STX for a good ~10 years without a single high-pitched noise issue.

Yesterday, I realized that, all this time, my speaker properties for the STX in windows were set to only 16-bit and 44100 Hz.
So I decided to play around with the settings, testing both different sampling rates in STX Audio Center and the Advanced tab of "Speaker properties".
I ended up settling on 24-bit 41000 Hz in both windows and STX center.

12 hours later, I have a heart- and panic attack due to an inexplicable high-pitched noise screeching all across my room out of nowhere.
I thought my computer's power supply was about to explode (it has terrible coil whine by default, so it didn't seem unreasonable to assume it had stepped up its game a bit).

This issue was immediately resolved by right-clicking the volume icon, going to Playback devices and right clicking my Asus Xonar device.
I'm not even sure if I needed to click "Configure speakers" to make the noise stop. It might be the case. My new-found PTSD is messing with my recollection of events.

Either way, I have reverted my settings to 16-bit 41000 Hz to see if my sudden onset of this particular bug was caused by the switch from 16 to 24-bit.
STX Center has also been reverted to 192KHz.

If anyone is willing to look in their settings and try reverting to 16-bit and see if that solves the issue, that would be my recommendation.

The fix would then be as follows:
Right click your volume icon and click Playback Devices.
Right click your Xonar device and press Properties.
Go to the advanced tab and change your sampling and bit depth to 16-bit/41000 Hz.

Optionally, and perhaps unrelated (?) I would also set my STX center's sampling rate to 192KHz.

That would be a replica of the settings I've had working for years and years on a machine that never sleeps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back