Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Nov 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #1,996 of 2,066
well, my headphones have 200mW of maximum input power and i think in the real world usage it is much much less. i'm not ready to become deaf.

the thing is most external amplifiers won't give you 3.5W at 50 Ohms (not that you would ever need it, you put your headphones on your head when listening, right?). i think there are numbers of external amplifiers that won't even deliver 1.2W at 64 Ohm.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #1,997 of 2,066
My problem seems to be solved. I installed the Corsair 450VX psu and measured the STX a couple of times in RMAA over the course of a week.

Everything seems fine except I realized that two of my fans were not working. I'm not sure if they were causing the problem in the first place but I'm going to replace them anyway.

Getting rid of my NB fan by replacing the heatsink with a passively cooled Thermalright hr-05 ifx. The other fan is a second case fan and the cpu temperatures seem fine with it not working so I'm thinking I can just do without it.

Hopefully this is the end of the saga of the fluttering volume. Thanks for all of the help.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #1,998 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by abelincoln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My problem seems to be solved. I installed the Corsair 450VX psu and measured the STX a couple of times in RMAA over the course of a week.

Everything seems fine except I realized that two of my fans were not working. I'm not sure if they were causing the problem in the first place but I'm going to replace them anyway.

Getting rid of my NB fan by replacing the heatsink with a passively cooled Thermalright hr-05 ifx. The other fan is a second case fan and the cpu temperatures seem fine with it not working so I'm thinking I can just do without it.

Hopefully this is the end of the saga of the fluttering volume. Thanks for all of the help.

...so it was the power supply afterall?
Great you got it fixed.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #1,999 of 2,066
2x LME49720NA.
Detailed sound, transperent and leaky bass, good treble.
Not enough bass for me... Too sterile, the sound eventually wearies.

2X LM6172IN.
More bass than 49720, but it sound unnaturally. Middle is smooth = weak guitar drive. Deaf treble, less beautiful... Narrow soundstage felt unnatural...

Then I started to try the Line-Out with my 300-ohms cans...

2x LME49720NA + LM4562 = not good
2x LME49720NA + JRC2114D = better, sound like 2x49720, but with more dense and strong bass.
2x LME49720NA + LM6172IN = 2x LME49720NA, but not dry and more volume bass, nice smooth treble, altogether more living and nice sound. Soundstage sounds cool - sounds are flying around... =) With external amplifier this will sound better, IMHO. =)

Just tried other combinations:
2хJRC2114D + LM6172IN = sound is bold and low-detailed, but the bass hit well.
2xJRC2114D + LME49720NA = powerful bass, harsh sound, different from the HP-out's sound - a little less pointed treble and greater detail..
Now listen again 2xLME49720NA + LM6172IN, still more pleasant sound, not as harsh as the previous combination, but also with good bass. I'll stay with this combination.

By the way, LM6172, in contrast to the LM4562, have flatter graph of noise in the treble zone.

Added: Listening music full evening... Everything sounds great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #2,000 of 2,066
I have a dilemma here (or maybe not), I want to pair a set of DT990s with the Asus Xonar Essence STX, but from what i have heard the sound card by itself can only power up to 300 ohms? (Also, this soundcard's drivers are compatible with windows 7 32 bit, right?)
Right now the DT990 600 ohm version is on sale for 240$, which is almost the same price as the DT990 250 ohm, which should i get if i only plan on running this sound card? Should i get the 600 ohm incase i ever decide to get another amplifier?

Sorry if these questions have been asked, i looked through about 30-40 pages.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #2,001 of 2,066
STX has a top output level of 300 to 600 ohms for headphones. But you should go with a headphone of 600ohms and less to give you the headroom.

There is no problem with win7 32 and 64 bit.

i have not listened to any of DT990 types, but with my Senn HD580 (300ohms) I'm extremely happy with STX headphone amp at the 300 to 600 ohms setting.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #2,002 of 2,066
I have used the DTX with DT880 600ohm & it drives them fine . I don't have a dedicated amp to compare but its atleast as good as my Marantz AVR's headphone out.

Infact the Xbit lab review suggested that the STX amp actually performs better when driving higher impedance cans.

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #2,003 of 2,066
I just had a chance to slack off from my busy work and tried out the opamps that I ordered but had been lying around for a long time. So now I feel like sharing my impressions on the trials with everyone

Getting straight to the point, my system includes the Essence STX (of course !) and Klipsch ProMedia GMX-A2.1 with Norstone CL400 speaker cable. The songs I tried are mainly Japanese female vocals and J-Rock. And here are the list of combinations I tried.

LM4652NA + 2xOPA2132P
This was my initial setup before I tried anything else. I'll use its sound as the reference for my other combinations

3xLME49720NA
The result was jaw-dropping in terms of surprise. I never expected to hear THAT much of a difference from just switching opamps. The previous setup sounded so muddy and ugly compared to this one. The 49720's were impressive in terms of treble and details. The sound was very, very detailed with the highs not less impressive; it was clear and crisp that I never imagined my speakers were capable of producing such tone. The separation of instruments was another strong point of 49720's where I said to myself that I'd never go back to the previous muddy setup. What's more is that the soundstage was also widened. The bass, conforming to what everyone says, was lacking. However, in that reduced amount of bass I noticed that it became tighter and no longer bloated. With the preamplifier of the speakers I have, this was welcomed and turned into another advantage where I could just turn up the bass level and achieved the same amount but with tighter sound.

It all sounded good except the fact that the vocal was very recessed. I tried listening to other songs with emphasis on vocals and they all sounded recessed. Trying not to make an overstatement here, but it was as if the vocalist was singing behind the drummer. The sound of the cymbals were even more prominent than the vocalist's. This is something I couldn't bare with as it'd ruin one of the most distinguished characteristics of the genres I listen to.

LME49720 + 2xLT1358
Moving on to the next combination as I left the 49720 in the buffer and switched to LT1358 in the I/V section: The very first thing that struck me when I tried this matchup was the forwardness of the mids. The vocal was the complete opposite of what I heard earlier. Other instruments were playing far behind the vocalist. However, I noticed that the sparkling details, the crisp highs, the wide soundstage, and the great separation were no longer there. I'm not saying that they all sounded horrible; it was just that 3 of the 49720's did a really nice job in those aspects. It still sounded pleasant, but couldn't keep up with the previous setup. So I'd say that this setup sounded natural compared to all other ones I tried, but with very forward mids.

LT1358 + 2xLME49720NA
This was the last combination I tried and it now stays in the chassis. What it did was a balance between the characteristics of the 49720's and the 1358's within my preference. It sports the lovely highs, details, separation, and soundstage of the 49720's while keeping everything in balance and positioning the vocalist at the right place.

Conclusion:
LM4652NA + 2xOPA2132P: inferior to all of the setups I've tried
Many people claim that LM4652NA makes a decent buffer, so maybe this was because of the OPA2132P's

3xLME49720NA: nice and clear treble, lots of details, wide soundstage, impressive separation but with very recessed vocals and lacking amount of bass

LME49720 + 2xLT1358: sounded natural with very forward mids

LT1358 + 2xLME49720NA: the great balance of the opamps I tried today

biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #2,005 of 2,066
Thanks for the responses, i have another question.
Is there a cheaper alternative soundcard to power Ultrasone Pro 750s? Do the 750s require a powerful amp? If it does i might as well just get the asus xonar essence.
Thanks!

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #2,006 of 2,066
Can anyone recommend a good op-amp for buffer, which fits well with 2xLME49720NA? 2xLME49720 in HP-Out have very good details, but lost some bass pressure. Headphones - Sennheiser HD 600. Maybe they just need a decent gain, and the bass will become as necessary with 3xLM49720NA? But I have no external amplifier yet, and I miss the strong bass of standard JRC2114D...
With LM6172 in buffer STX provides a soft and very quiet bass, it's good for quiet listening, but I want a more powerful sound.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #2,010 of 2,066
can i know how good is this xonar funciton as digital transport ? what clock is it using and how is it compared to m2tech hiface??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back