Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Oct 26, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #1,982 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are no 3.5 mm outs on STX. You need to use a pair of RCA to RCA connectors.

^ This problem has been resolved. Thanks for helping.

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #1,984 of 2,066
The saga of the fluttering volume continues--it came back the day after getting the replacement card. So I wanted to report back that it's at least not a problem with the STX. I've got another PSU on the way and if it's not that then I dunno...maybe it could be the motherboard? Very strange.

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #1,985 of 2,066
is the case grounded properly?

EMI interference? what graphics card?

what brand of PSU?

what connectors are you using on the sound card, and what do they go to?

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #1,987 of 2,066
The case is a Silverstone lc10b-e. It should be properly grounded--is there anything special you have to do? It's plugged into a tripp-lite power protector.

Not sure about EMI interference. I've tried it with spread spectrum enabled and disabled. The graphics card is the internal nvidia geforce 9400 on the Gigabyte Ga-E7AUM-ds2h motherboard.

PSU is a 330W Seasonic S12 II connected to one HDD (sata style power connector), one DVD+RW (ata molex connector), 3 Nexus 80mm 'real silent' case fans (cpu and case fan power on mobo, ata connector) and one Scythe Mini-Kaze (also ata connector).

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #1,988 of 2,066
okay well I wonder if there is a lot of system traffic (with the integrated graphics card).

also is there a dirty motor one of the fans?

I'm not sure however, the power input stage on the card must get rid of some of the crap.

those power supply's are quite good for ripple etc, afaik.

not 100% sure what to say. Load it up with ferrite cores i guess
biggrin.gif

and you can check the ground with a multimeter, using AC 200V or 500V if your in Europe, check for ~110v across live and ground, and ~230v across if your in Europe. I can't see no ground causing problems (although my stuff goes to a water pipe) like that described, ground loops can cause buzzing and or pulsing (heard both happen with power amps and AV amps togeather).

Hope we can come up with a solution for you togeather!

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #1,989 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by KDE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
STX isn't good card according to data sheets

PCM1792A THD+N at 192 kHz: 0.0015%
TPA6120A2 THD+N at 32 Ohm: 0.00055%
JRC2114 THD: 0.0005 %%

It has high distortion at 32 Ohm according to Xbit labs
Two in One: Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card Review (page 7) - X-bit labs

good thing for you if can hear a difference between 0.0015% and 0.0025% THD. maybe you should have paid more attention to the conclusion of the review.

Quote:

When I had been listening to the Auzen X-Fi Prelude, I had not expected any card to surpass it. Later on, the ASUS Xonar D2 showed the weak aspects of the Prelude. And now, the Xonar Essence STX sounds better than the Xonar D2 and Prelude, and better than the X-Fi Elite Pro, and perhaps even better than any audio card in the world, but I still want some more! It is a shame that the Essence is just one step short of being perfect. It just needs better resistors and different operation amplifiers.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #1,990 of 2,066
Oct 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #1,991 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by abelincoln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The saga of the fluttering volume continues--it came back the day after getting the replacement card. So I wanted to report back that it's at least not a problem with the STX. I've got another PSU on the way and if it's not that then I dunno...maybe it could be the motherboard? Very strange.

hmm, I guess the power woudl be the next thing to check if you already replaced the card and are still having this issue.
IS the card on it's own tap? -Meaning a straight cable right from the PSU and NOT sharing with anything else which may be adding interference to the power?

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #1,992 of 2,066
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a power supply on the way but it's been almost a week and BB still hasn't shipped it (should have ordered newegg but didn't want to pay the restocking fee if this doesn't solve my problem).

dlb, I'm getting a Corsair this time but they're apparently made by Seasonic so hopefully it was just bad luck of the draw with my current one. Rob, I did try putting the card on it's own tap which meant unplugging my optical drive. Didn't make a difference.

I usually just laugh at people on message boards having random problems with stuff that works fine for me so I guess this is my payback.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #1,993 of 2,066
OK, that was just a suggestion. A buddy of mine had a good card but there was noticable high end distortion, well noticable to me. I could hear the cymblas just didn't sound right. They sounding like a frying egg with no ting to them.
Check it out and he had his card on the same Pa as his HDD. The HDD was adding interference to the card. Soon as it was put on it's own the cymbals sounded how they should again.
You have tried another slot etc? I am thinking you just need a cleaner PSU or maybe this one is giving up the ghost so the power it supplies is becoming unstable.
Keep use posted.

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #1,994 of 2,066
Thanks, I'll definitely put the stx on it's own tap when I get the new PSU. My reason behind using the same tap for the stx and dvd drive was that I thought it wouldn't make a difference when the optical drive isn't in use but this probably isn't 100% true. I was even briefly looking into getting a double rail psu so I could put the card on it's own 12v rail but the thought of getting an 800W psu for an htpc makes me cringe.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #1,995 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good thing for you if can hear a difference between 0.0015% and 0.0025% THD.

There is much higher distortion at high output power.
TPA6120A2 has 10% THD+N at 1.2 W output power and 64 Ohm load according to figure 7 at page 8 of data sheet. My 50 Ohm headphones has 3.5 W maximal input power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back