Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Sep 18, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #1,936 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by riderforever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Playing around with the RMAA, I've noticed another "strange" thing: in the Frequency Response multitone test the left channel is about .2dB higher than the right one! Modifying the balance from 100-100 to 98-100 (L/R) in the windows audio panel does improve the things, lowering the gap to .05dB.

Here are the figures in the two configurations.

Does someone has noticed this on his Essence as well?

No problem here, this is what I get:

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #1,937 of 2,066
Well, I got the cable hooked up and the Xonar control panel set up according to the guide but RMAA couldn't run it's test. The volume levels kept going up and down. I mean, every time RMAA's meter refreshed (once a second or whatever) it would be either up or down-- a jump of pretty much half the meter. At least this explains what I've heard.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm still sending back the card but I've learned a lot in the process and am glad that this problem isn't very common.

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #1,939 of 2,066
Just when I thought I had it narrowed down to a problem with the STX...

Now I'm thinking it's my PSU that's the problem. I tried plugging another power connector (sata style with converter) into the STX and the levels were much better in RMAA. They only bobbed up and down maybe one or two bars. RMAA now says there's a problem with crosstalk but advises that it could be due to the cable.

My PSU is a 330W Seasonic S12 II. I figured that's plenty of power for an nVidia 9400 / Intel E7300 C2D system. But I'm sure it's a single 12V rail design. Now I'm wondering if there's any sense in getting a much larger PSU and putting the STX on it's own rail.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #1,940 of 2,066
if RMAA whines about crosstalk, usually it's some misconfiguration in the fancy drivers GUI from my experience. tried to follow exactly the RMAA manual for the D2? 330W really isn't much, but the STX only needs a fistful of watts anyway
wink.gif

but maybe your HDD is polluting one of your PSU rails..

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #1,941 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by abelincoln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just when I thought I had it narrowed down to a problem with the STX...

Now I'm thinking it's my PSU that's the problem. I tried plugging another power connector (sata style with converter) into the STX and the levels were much better in RMAA. They only bobbed up and down maybe one or two bars. RMAA now says there's a problem with crosstalk but advises that it could be due to the cable.

My PSU is a 330W Seasonic S12 II. I figured that's plenty of power for an nVidia 9400 / Intel E7300 C2D system. But I'm sure it's a single 12V rail design. Now I'm wondering if there's any sense in getting a much larger PSU and putting the STX on it's own rail.

Croosstalk can mean a few things. First check and mak sure your recording for the proper input. This is usually the issue...

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #1,942 of 2,066
This has probably been asked before but I couldn't find the answer, what are the differences between the STX and the ST? I can get the STX now, but should I wait for the ST if all I do is listen to music and play games on the PC, with the occasional film from time to time?

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #1,946 of 2,066
Well this isn't going to be too popular but after comparing the STX with my iphone 3gs, I have to say, I like the iphone.. a fair bit. And the iphone is considered bright but I have to say, its darker then the STX. The bass with stock opamps through the HP out is really dissapointing me now. It hasn't before as I hadn't compared the two but now that I have, I'm finding it lacking.

This is with the JH|13 Pro headphones.

I'll soon be redoing my water loop (finally) and will have easy access to the STX for op-amp swapping... I'll be soldering up the HA's and putting them in the I/V .. that should add the bass from what I've read

I'm thinking its just bad synergy with the JH-13's that are making them sound brighter then I'd like with the STX HP out

Anyone else feel like the stock STX HP out is on the bright side? Perhaps heavily so?

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #1,947 of 2,066
Well personal tastes vary. I think this gets into the realm of liking a signatures that measure lower then a signature of a products that measuers better.

Sounds like you need to roll new opamps as you mentioned or use the line outs. I have never really used the headphone output aside from simple testing.
Maybe an external can amplifier might give you what your after.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #1,948 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well this isn't going to be too popular but after comparing the STX with my iphone 3gs, I have to say, I like the iphone.. a fair bit. And the iphone is considered bright but I have to say, its darker then the STX. The bass with stock opamps through the HP out is really dissapointing me now. It hasn't before as I hadn't compared the two but now that I have, I'm finding it lacking.

This is with the JH|13 Pro headphones.

I'll soon be redoing my water loop (finally) and will have easy access to the STX for op-amp swapping... I'll be soldering up the HA's and putting them in the I/V .. that should add the bass from what I've read

I'm thinking its just bad synergy with the JH-13's that are making them sound brighter then I'd like with the STX HP out

Anyone else feel like the stock STX HP out is on the bright side? Perhaps heavily so?

There's no way I'm going to fault the JH13's for what you're hearing, so I'm going to chalk this up to bad synergy. I've heard the iPhone and iTouch as well as several of the old generation of iPods (having owned some) and they fall short of touching the STX in my setup.

BTW, the HA's aren't good for bass. In fact, for overall sound, I personally think 3xLME49720NA are still the best. For detail and a neutral (but light) bass presentation, the LME49710HA are best. The LME49720HA I don't really like as they sound like brighter, thinner, and compressed versions of the 49720NA.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #1,949 of 2,066
^^that goes for line-out though. since he is going to use HP out, my guess is he will like 720HA better than NA. more bass, not as harsh as NA

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #1,950 of 2,066
Maybe that is the trouble. Bad match with the headphone amplifier chip to give him what he wants. The amp chip has it's own siganture and when used in the circuit that also has to be considered. If bass is what you want there are other opamps that bring tha bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back