Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Sep 2, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #1,906 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by s2kphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^how much would that cost ROB?

I haven't followed the thread that much lately. But it seems that you guys are saying the 49720HA are better. Why? How does it differ from other OPAMPS?

It depends. They are good opamps but there are lots of great opamps out there. The LME49720 is in the same family as the LM4562 and the HA version is the best of the bunch (To-99, DIP8,SOIC) based on testing.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #1,907 of 2,066
6 months has passed, since I got my STX, and 1x LT1364 + 2x LM6172 to go with it (suggested by Alydon)

I've absolutely enjoyed my card, and I wouldnt live without it.

Robscix,

I mainly returned to the thread to get up to speed on the whole OPAMP testing thing - A whole lot of testing, and a whole lot of posting has been done, since then.

Any chance you could do me a quick and dirty recap on the current situation on what stock OPAMP's people are using? - I noticed you started modding stuff yourself? - I gotta say, that stuff looks amazing to me.

Thanks in advance :)

//Mordeous

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #1,908 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mordeous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6 months has passed, since I got my STX, and 1x LT1364 + 2x LM6172 to go with it (suggested by Alydon)

I've absolutely enjoyed my card, and I wouldnt live without it.

Robscix,

I mainly returned to the thread to get up to speed on the whole OPAMP testing thing - A whole lot of testing, and a whole lot of posting has been done, since then.

Any chance you could do me a quick and dirty recap on the current situation on what stock OPAMP's people are using? - I noticed you started modding stuff yourself? - I gotta say, that stuff looks amazing to me.

Thanks in advance :)

//Mordeous

Some have been testing out the LT1057's on this card. Other have been getting good results with the LME49720HA's in adapters. I have been testing out the Dual LME49710HA's in adapters which I build custom.
OPA2107's are also good opamps from the feedback aroudn here. Other People have been working with discrete opamps, which are built from components.

Thanx for the kinds words, I have been modding and working with opamps for quite a few years now.
I just don't usually mention it as I modand build for my own gear and personal testing. I give suggestion here and there based on my own testing though.
Hope this helps.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #1,909 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some have been testing out the LT1057's on this card. Other have been getting good results with the LME49720HA's in adapters. I have been testing out the Dual LME49710HA's in adapters which I build custom.
OPA2107's are also good opamps from the feedback aroudn here. Other People have been working with discrete opamps, which are built from components.

Thanx for the kinds words, I have been modding and working with opamps for quite a few years now.
I just don't usually mention it as I modand build for my own gear and personal testing. I give suggestion here and there based on my own testing though.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Rob.

Yeah, this helps - Gives me some points as what to look into.

Do you have any personal experience with dt880 and the stx? - I mean, which opamps would go well with it - Or am i still good with my current ones?

//Mordeous

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #1,911 of 2,066
Playing around with RMAA I've noticed that with the Burson as output buffer the Stereo Crosstalk falls down to 53dB, against a value of 115dB with the lm4562! All the other parameters (noise, frequency response) are quite similar. Is it normal?

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #1,912 of 2,066
yeah, I was told the same thing about Burson's on the Prodigy HD2. it would reach 60 dB crosstalk.

the story says that vynil is 35 dB anyway
redface.gif

but more importantly, how is the sound? narrower soundstage?

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #1,913 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by riderforever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Playing around with RMAA I've noticed that with the Burson as output buffer the Stereo Crosstalk falls down to 53dB, against a value of 115dB with the lm4562! All the other parameters (noise, frequency response) are quite similar. Is it normal?

It depends on the design of the Burson unit. The LM4562NA is a very high spec opamp and can get some high numbers in this circuit. There are many other opamps that you could try that would give you better sound but may raise some of the values. This may be normal for this unit in this circuit.
Do you like the sound of the Burson unit over the LM4562?

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #1,914 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, I was told the same thing about Burson's on the Prodigy HD2. it would reach 60 dB crosstalk.

the story says that vynil is 35 dB anyway
redface.gif

but more importantly, how is the sound? narrower soundstage?

Crosstalk is NOT "Crossfeed" it has little to do with the soundstage.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #1,915 of 2,066
Quote:

It depends on the design of the Burson unit. The LM4562NA is a very high spec opamp and can get some high numbers in this circuit. There are many other opamps that you could try that would give you better sound but may raise some of the values. This may be normal for this unit in this circuit.
Do you like the sound of the Burson unit over the LM4562?

Definitely, I find it more relaxed, less harsh in the high frequencies, delivering a more textured sound.
L3000.gif

I think the next step will be the Audio-Gd clock.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #1,916 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by riderforever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely, I find it more relaxed, less harsh in the high frequencies, delivering a more textured sound.
L3000.gif

I think the next step will be the Audio-Gd clock.

I had good results when testing with discrete also. Some people incorrectly base too much weight on the specifications.
There are opamps with great specs that sound awful. Boring, dead,sterile..cold etc.

There are other units with less stellar specifications that sound great, offering life and musicality.
Those that are new to opamps, think they can just browse the spec sheets and judge units this way without any testing, sorry but it doesn't work that way.

As for the clock, it is not as hard as you would think. Many XO are just two wires...some are three but stil a very simple device to change. Althoguh if you think you cannot do the mod, I would advise you take it to another as you can seriously damage your card. I think another member tested out the card with either no XO or a malfunctioning XO and all audio came through at incorrect speeds. Not Good.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #1,917 of 2,066
Quote:

I had good results when testing with discrete also. Some people incorrectly base too much weight on the specifications.
There are opamps with great specs that sound awful. Boring, dead,sterile..cold etc.

There are other units with less stellar specifications that sound great, offering life and musicality.
Those that are new to opamps, think they can just browse the spec sheets and judge units this way without any testing, sorry but it doesn't work that way.

As for the clock, it is not as hard as you would think. Many XO are just two wires...some are three but stil a very simple device to change. Althoguh if you think you cannot do the mod, I would advise you take it to another as you can seriously damage your card. I think another member tested out the card with either no XO or a malfunctioning XO and all audio came through at incorrect speeds. Not Good.

I confirm about the opamps to look just on the data sheets is a mistake. There is a study of some guy out there that shows tests and measurements of THD+N of all sorts of opamps. The discrete ones are in general in this tests not good. But I would say the discrete ones sound more natural, warm like. The music is alive, dynamic, musical, not death linear.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #1,918 of 2,066
Exactly. Any one measurment such as THD is just a part of a very large puzzle.
There are many opamps which may have higher values and yet still sound just amazing this includes the discretes.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #1,919 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWorlDofSPACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a study of some guy out there that shows tests and measurements of THD+N of all sorts of opamps. The discrete ones are in general in this tests not good. But I would say the discrete ones sound more natural, warm like. The music is alive, dynamic, musical, not death linear.

and same goes for the ST/STX RMAA measurements...they look good, but good RMAA figures don't mean bestest sound -by a long shot-.

it would indeed prolly take some pricey burson's and hack the XO to get something really nice sounding...yet, the drivers will still suck
redface.gif

but Asus says they use the best HP amp in their commercial bs(yet it's still a $2.25 IC
rolleyes.gif
), and that their card yields stellar measurements...they prolly forgot to say that it sounds "digital" to death and harsh too...thoppa would blame it on the caps, and some other very knowledgeable ppl I know are also really not fond of the Essence SQ. I don't listen to sine waves.

I don't mean to troll, but at least I keep the usual asus rep busy
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #1,920 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWorlDofSPACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I confirm about the opamps to look just on the data sheets is a mistake. There is a study of some guy out there that shows tests and measurements of THD+N of all sorts of opamps. The discrete ones are in general in this tests not good. But I would say the discrete ones sound more natural, warm like. The music is alive, dynamic, musical, not death linear.

Speaking of discretes, I have been testing out a few modules, both consumer models and a custom unit using a few cards and I am very happy with the results. I can understand why you prefer the bursons over the stock opamps. Although they may not measure as good as some of the higher spec opamps they definately have some great sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back