Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Aug 25, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #1,876 of 2,066
that's too bad I can't read your posts, but anyway better get great SQ and crappy drivers...than the opposite
mycrub.gif

nothing's ever designed as it should be, I'm getting used to it
confused_face.gif

but w/ some LME49720HA + some lossless remastered audio in KS, the SQ on the STX is simply out of this world
fumble.gif

PS: about RMAA measurements, the STX maxes out the ADC at 117dB on the line-out:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...images/087.htm

but *NOT* the ST(measured on my own card w/ the stock op-amps and a Monster Cable on the line-out):

Code:

Code:
[left]Sampling mode 24-bit, 96 kHz Testing chain External loopback (line-out - line-in) RMAA Version 6.2.3 20 Hz - 20 kHz filter ON Normalize amplitude ON Level change 0.3 dB / 0.2 dB Mono mode OFF Calibration singal, Hz 1000 Polarity correct/correct Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB +0.02, -0.11 Noise level, dB (A) -115.5 Dynamic range, dB (A) 115.2 THD, % 0.0006 THD + Noise, dB (A) -101.1 IMD + Noise, % 0.0020 Stereo crosstalk, dB -96.2 IMD at 10 kHz, % 0.0007[/left]

the ST is a far cry from the STX..

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #1,877 of 2,066
Hey, is it normal to have WinXP volume at 3-5% out of 100% when using headphones with STX? imo it get's really really loud when going higher than 5%.
Also I wonder why windows' volume control is set up like that for headphones?
When I compare this to my laptop which uses built in speakers I can put it up to 100% and it doesn't sound anywhere that loud than 20% volume would sound in winXP.

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #1,878 of 2,066
Check the gain setting. It might be higher than it should.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #1,880 of 2,066
Now you both are talking about the headphone amplification in the AsusAudioCenter?
Since my Koss SB45 is rated @100ohms, I use the high gain setting. I'll give a try at normal gain.

Or does this have something to do with windows?
Since before the STX I had same problem with my on-board audio card...

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #1,882 of 2,066
Wait 'til you get an amp for those babies
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #1,884 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you both are talking about the headphone amplification in the AsusAudioCenter?
Since my Koss SB45 is rated @100ohms, I use the high gain setting. I'll give a try at normal gain.

Or does this have something to do with windows?
Since before the STX I had same problem with my on-board audio card...

Yes, the gain setting in the Asus Panel. Just set it to correspond with your headphone impedance.

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #1,885 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone having mic problems with Windows 7? Cant get mine to work period.

Have you tried the ASUS forums? New OS and if anybody else is having this issue, there maybe a fix or some further details.
Here is a link to the forum: LINK

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #1,886 of 2,066
I need some help deciding between the Essence STX and ST.

According to what leeperry posted the STX clearly has a better line out signal but I also read here that the ST has a better internal clock thingy, so I'd like to ask how noticeable both of these points are in comparison.

Replacing the clock crystal on the STX was also mentioned at some point, would this be preferable?

(And this will be my first audiophile soundcard so I am sort of new to the topic)

Edit: I'd also like to know how well the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 compares to those cards in terms of SQ.

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #1,887 of 2,066
as I said in another thread, the STX has a very messy stereo image, and the ST tries to clean it up w/ a tigher clock...but fails blatantly IMO.

and the HP amp is a $1.50 IC from TI, that literally kills the SNR measurements...and sounds really bad, and I'm not the only one saying it!
evil_smiley.gif

but I'm sure some Asus rep(or fanboys/newbies) will tell you that it's the best card in the world
beerchug.gif

the HD2 doesn't measure as good, but seems to have dreamy drivers(ESI are not exactly amateurs like C-Media), and it's got the AK4396(the "miracle" DAC)...and ixbtlabs gave a very positive review. RMAA measurements don't tell the whole story, and it's way cheaper than the Essence cards too! saves some money to get a real external amp, not a $1.5 IC like Asus put on their cards
rolleyes.gif

and for the same price as the STX, you can put 3 burson's on the HD2 basically
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #1,888 of 2,066
I find the presentation of the STX with HD600s to be very good. The headphone amp maybe inexpensive but it has good performance. I have yet to be disappointed with either the stx or the HD600s. It took a long time for the Senns to break in and I did so with the onboard audio but once that was over the STX provided great performance.

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #1,889 of 2,066
Well, I can't find a HD2 for less then 100€ shipped to germany and essences are 140€ shipped.

Now I hope to be able to drive my new headphones (ATH AD900) from the line out (I don't know how well that'll work out at all, even though they are supposed to be driven easy), so it comes down to whether that'd sound better than whatever the HD2 has to offer or not.

I also do consider getting an external amp at some point in the future if it'd mean a decent improvement. I especially consider this to listen to my dad's hd600 headphones.

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #1,890 of 2,066
you can get one brand new for 70 EUR shipped on ebay. put three bursons(3x45 EUR) and you more or less reach the same price as the STX(which costs 180 EUR here in France)
smily_headphones1.gif

anyway, that's prolly what I'm gonna do...and I will buy a Corda Arietta, it's a great bang-for-bucks amp apparently..great amplification and killer ESI drivers, they seem to be as good as the Echo Digital...I'm tired of toying around
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back