Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jul 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #1,786 of 2,066
Hi

Is it possible to connect a guitar through the line-in of this card ?

I want to learn to play guitar and planning to get a guitar without a guitar amp.

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #1,789 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by takengo2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks,

you mean you dont notice anymore difference after 200 hours of burn in?

by the way, what setting to use on the ST/STX if pair with AKG K701/K702 ? should we use the lowest setting (<64ohms) or middle setting?

I think the changes have dropped to such small levels that I can't tell if something has changed between over-night pink noise sessions...

I use the lowest setting and turn the knob to 50-70% depending on source volume. You can use the second gain setting but then it is difficult to get the volume perfect (25-35%). As far as I know the gain setting is just a volume boost and shouldn't affect the sound, but the boost happens in the amplifier-chip so something could change, but not as far as I can tell...

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #1,790 of 2,066
Guitar will work just fine if you switch to mic input and boost it.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #1,791 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Owlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the changes have dropped to such small levels that I can't tell if something has changed between over-night pink noise sessions...

I use the lowest setting and turn the knob to 50-70% depending on source volume. You can use the second gain setting but then it is difficult to get the volume perfect (25-35%). As far as I know the gain setting is just a volume boost and shouldn't affect the sound, but the boost happens in the amplifier-chip so something could change, but not as far as I can tell...

i see, thanks.

can someone tell me if i turn the STX to speaker mode, does it burn in all my 3 opamps, or is it burning only the opamp in the buffer section?

how about if i turn the mode to headphone mode in the STX, same question, does all my 3 opamps gets the burning in process too?

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #1,793 of 2,066
When I briefly used it for recording, it worked just fine, though I did have to amplify the signal. Other than that it was clean and everything. I'm not sure what a DI box is.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #1,794 of 2,066
Quote:

i see, thanks.

can someone tell me if i turn the STX to speaker mode, does it burn in all my 3 opamps, or is it burning only the opamp in the buffer section?

how about if i turn the mode to headphone mode in the STX, same question, does all my 3 opamps gets the burning in process too?

The line-out uses all three op-amps and the headphone-out used the I/V pair and a hi-z amplifier chip. However there is really nothing to "burn in" in any electronics, at least not chips, the only change that could occur is when they are warming up, anything else is in your head.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #1,795 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by d(((--)))b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you taso89. so in that case, do I need the DI Unit ?

Yes, you still need DI box or a effect box with a line out...works just as good. Trouble with using the mic in and boosting it is the signal is very dirty (not in a good way) _mic inputs on consumer soudncards are very low quality. If you want a signal that you can work with for recording or playing through the PC....get the right tool. I play through the PC all the time. Both recording and using the PC as effects processor.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #1,796 of 2,066
Quote:

i see, thanks.

Speaker mode uses all three opamps I/V and Single end buffer
HEadpheons mode uses just I/V and the TI headphone amplifier.

There is a great deal of debate going on about burn-in. There is some suggestion that caps will burn-in or settle over time...some think opamps do also but there is a large amount of debate on that one.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #1,797 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I briefly used it for recording, it worked just fine, though I did have to amplify the signal. Other than that it was clean and everything. I'm not sure what a DI box is.

DI =Direct injection, Direct interface etc... The main function is impedance matching. a guitar is a high impedance insturment. Mixer...recording units etc..usually have low impedance or line level inputs.

DI boxes are usually used to connect a guitar stright to the mixer or to another devices with low impedance inputs -such as a PC soudncard.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #1,800 of 2,066
thanks owlow and robscix for the info.

by the way, anyone tried lt1361 opamp at the I/V, thinking of either lt1361 or lm4562 at the I/V section. The buffer section i am using Moon hdam at the moment.

I have Sun,Moon and Earth hdam, also have 2x LT1361, 2x LM4562(same as the one from STX buffer), any idea which is the best combo for my STX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back