Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
May 17, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #1,621 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Bass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you have tried the LME49720 in the I/V as well? It's supposed to be the same as the LM4562, although I've heard a subtle difference between the two, though not in I/V, as my cards do not have an I/V section.

Some other parts which might be worth listening to are THS4032 for I/V and OPA211 x 2 for output (both SOIC).

yes, I did try the 49720...but I was using the ASIO drivers in foobar, and they stink big time! so at point, I put back the stock op-amps and was about it to call it a game and sell the card...when I remembered that KS was said to sound better, and it does! so I'll let the 4562 burn in for a few days, and I might very well try the 49720 again
smily_headphones1.gif

the other op-amps are mostly SOIC8, I want something that just fits...w/o the huge markups from ppl who solder them on DIP8 adapters on ebay(and what if they mess up? I really don't wanna fry the card
biggrin.gif
)

one thing I'm curious about is that the TO99 metal versions are known to sound even better! but I thought the length of the legs was most critical?!

some ppl solder them on DIP8 adapters for lot of $$$(still on ebay) and some other ppl just fit them somehow in the DIP8 holders
confused.gif

anyway, once I'll have made up my mind on 4562 or 49720, I might fancy some metal versions
atsmile.gif

PS: AHMAGAD, the 4562 is mind blowing on Ed Rush's DNB...such a wide soundstage and detailed sound
L3000.gif

May 17, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #1,622 of 2,066
Here's an example of an SOIC on a DIP socket.... best I could find with a short search.

279d1216738870-denon-da-500-soic.jpg

May 17, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #1,623 of 2,066
Another set of pics from sijosae showing the SOIC -> DIP procedure:

SMD-4.jpg

May 17, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #1,624 of 2,066
it's true that the 4562 is "dry"(it's only a few hours old, though), but the 2114 sounded distorted anyway...and all the micro-details that float "above the surface" are just very impressive(together w/ the HUGE soundstage
eek.gif
)

I personally like to wear correction glasses made of thick 1.5 mineral glass, because their resolution(Optical transfer function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is higher than my eyes..I can't stand plastic glasses, they feel blurry.

it's the same thing, the 4562 sounds more detailed than my ears...love the feeling
smily_headphones1.gif

I could listen several times to the same track and hear different stuff, it sounds so highly refined
eek.gif

it's funny when ppl tell you that every disc you listen to has gone through hundreds of 5532/2068 anyway, so there wouldn't be any point to use something better
rolleyes.gif

PS1: I thought this saturation test was pointless because the sample were lofi to begin w/....but w/ a proper soundcard/op-amps, it's a lot more manageable :

PS2: the Babel OST finally gives! w/ all these spanish guitars
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #1,625 of 2,066
Quote:

Yes, I've used the OPA211s and find them a bit more lively/open sounding compared to the National chips. They seem to "speak" better in the midrange, and have a more "organic" sound, while I find the Nationals (LM/LME) a bit dry sounding, IMO.

I've used Browndog SOIC/DIP adapters in the past for duals (and still do for dual single SOIC to DIP). However, these days usually I just carefully splay out the SOIC pins and solder a dual SOIC device directly to a DIP socket. The inner four pins (2, 3, 6, 7) should be right on the edge of the DIP socket's inner holes, while you might need a small resistor lead or other piece of wire for the outer pins (1, 4, 5, 8). Just be careful with heat so the socket doesn't melt!

I have to order a few of those this week and finish up my opamps modules I have been wanting to build. You reminded me I have to put a order in at brown dog.

May 18, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #1,626 of 2,066
Quote:

Yes, I've used the OPA211s and find them a bit more lively/open sounding compared to the National chips. They seem to "speak" better in the midrange, and have a more "organic" sound, while I find the Nationals (LM/LME) a bit dry sounding, IMO.

It's a case of synergy.... you are using the K702 and it's 'dry' by nature. Had you been using the AD2000 like me you'll certainly prefer the LME49720.

May 18, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #1,627 of 2,066
isn´t lm4562 stock or?

May 18, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #1,628 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by shogo33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didnt get that chalk/cheese or night/day difference from this. I found that it sounded better without sharing the molex with other devices like the 120mm fans that i had connected to it. When i unplugged those fans and ran it without, it sounded clearer.

same for me.

so nobody is experiencing a popping sound when switching from HP to 2 speakers in drivers?

May 18, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #1,629 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so nobody is experiencing a popping sound when switching from HP to 2 speakers in drivers?

Not sure what you mean by popping, but I hear a short, high frequency tick.

May 18, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #1,630 of 2,066
thats what i meant, my english can be sloppy sometimes
wink.gif
i'm concerned about how loud it is though, that it could affect the drivers in headphones after hundreds of switches. but i guess im just being a paranoid like i said earlier
redface.gif

May 18, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #1,631 of 2,066
It's not loud enough to make me worry the least even though the hf energy certainly is subsantial. Also, it seems independent of my Win volume setting.

May 18, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #1,632 of 2,066
Quote:

Another set of pics from sijosae showing the SOIC -> DIP procedure:

SMD-4.jpg

Wow that was creative...
But if not careful enough, those pins might break...

May 18, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #1,633 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isn´t lm4562 stock or?

There are three opamps on the STX. Two are JRC2114D's and the other is a LM4562NA.

He is changing the 2114D's to LM4562NA...

May 18, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #1,634 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, I did try the 49720...but I was using the ASIO drivers in foobar, and they stink big time! so at point, I put back the stock op-amps and was about it to call it a game and sell the card...when I remembered that KS was said to sound better, and it does! so I'll let the 4562 burn in for a few days, and I might very well try the 49720 again
smily_headphones1.gif

the other op-amps are mostly SOIC8, I want something that just fits...w/o the huge markups from ppl who solder them on DIP8 adapters on ebay(and what if they mess up? I really don't wanna fry the card
biggrin.gif
)

one thing I'm curious about is that the TO99 metal versions are known to sound even better! but I thought the length of the legs was most critical?!

some ppl solder them on DIP8 adapters for lot of $$$(still on ebay) and some other ppl just fit them somehow in the DIP8 holders
confused.gif

anyway, once I'll have made up my mind on 4562 or 49720, I might fancy some metal versions
atsmile.gif

PS: AHMAGAD, the 4562 is mind blowing on Ed Rush's DNB...such a wide soundstage and detailed sound
L3000.gif

ebay isnt your only choice for pre mounted op-amps,Cimarron technology sells pre mounted OPA827's and what not for 49 dollars.

edit: Robscix is the OPA211 like the OPA2134 or some what diffent?

May 18, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #1,635 of 2,066
does anybody knows what is the headphone output impedance? i don't see it anywhere on the asus website. and does it change with different gains or remains constant?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back