Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Apr 15, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #1,321 of 2,066
Have any of you guys tried 3x OPA2277 (two I/V and one in buffer) if so how did it sound?

Apr 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #1,322 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm noticing a puzzling thing... sometimes, one song will play with a much slower tempo (and sometimes faster tempo) then normal. If I stop and play again, it'll go to normal tempo.

I'm not sure if its foobar, ASIO, vista or the essence STX but I thought I'd ask if anyone noticed something like this?

It's the ASIO tbh. Kernel Streaming doesn't have this problem.

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #1,324 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by willykatie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the moment i use Xonar D2X paired with HD555 and just wondering if i see improvements if i get this?

You may notice a change depending on how well you can pick up the subtleties of audio. However, I can say with confidence that the HD555's will be the limiting factor in the chain. You would notice a more pronounced improvement with a more transparent high end pair of headphones.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #1,325 of 2,066
The D2X has about a 118db SNR, where the STX has about a 124dB SNR. That is just one measurment but I think you get the idea. The STX is the flagship Xonar.

One thing about hte HD555, is they don't require the amplifier chip so you can use them with the line-out and get the full sound qulaity avialble from that STX.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #1,326 of 2,066
A few questions - where is the best place to order opamps, specifically the ones mentioned in this thread?

Additionally, what opamps would those who have HEARD THEM suggest for good synergy with the Denon AH-D2000s? A big reason I bought them is that I love the energy and oomph they bring to music, while still being extremely smooth and liquid.

Based on some descriptions, I'm thinking of the LME49720, which sounds very fun and energetic, or the LM6172 which seems like it might be a bit more direct than the LME. Additionally, should I go 3xLME49720 or maybe a 1x/2x combination?

Thoughts?

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #1,327 of 2,066
Usually any local electrnoics house or mail/internet order companies will have what your after. Such as Digikey or others.
Make sure you order dual channel and DIP8 of whatever unit your foudn in the thread.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #1,328 of 2,066
Hi guys,

Do you think there is a big difference between the STX and a m-audio firewire audiophile or a ESI juli@ for a HIFI use with analog outputs only ?

(I use a rotel integrated amplifier with high-end 4-ways speakers)

thanks in advance for advise if you can compare these cards !

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #1,329 of 2,066
today i was reorganizing some cables in my case and noticed an interesting thing. i have a modular psu(Corsair HX520W). before i started to make changes i had xonar plugged in through tree-way molex : HDD->DVD-RAM->Xonar Essence. this time i plugged xonar through a single molex. so i started the pc, not expecting any changes whatsoever. i played some songs and was immediately shocked how better it sounded. dynamic range increased throughout all volume levels. it sounded more present and bass was punchier and more accurate.

i have no idea what leaded to this improvement, maybe devices before xonar in previous setup had some effect on it. or it could be
that xonar was switched to another 12v branche that was less strained. anyway, those changes weren't subtle, i'm talking about serious improvements here.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #1,330 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
today i was reorganizing some cables in my case and noticed an interesting thing. i have a modular psu(Corsair HX520W). before i started to make changes i had xonar plugged in through tree-way molex : HDD->DVD-RAM->Xonar Essence. this time i plugged xonar through a single molex. so i started the pc, not expecting any changes whatsoever. i played some songs and was immediately shocked how better it sounded. dynamic range increased throughout all volume levels. it sounded more present and bass was punchier and more accurate.

i have no idea what leaded to this improvement, maybe devices before xonar in previous setup had some effect on it. or it could be
that xonar was switched to another 12v branche that was less strained. anyway, those changes weren't subtle, i'm talking about serious improvements here.

This really makes no sense.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #1,332 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^you mean my english or ....? be specific

That it could change sound quality whatsoever. Individual lines coming out of the PSU are not taxed individually, the PSU has a total load.

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #1,333 of 2,066
I've seen it affect the operation of devices. Molex connectors have this tendency to bunch up inside; when this happens, sometimes one or more of the wires will pop out enough that they're not making reliable contact. This will lead to case fans not starting, "missing" drives, etc. I have no idea what effect this would have on a sound card, though, but it'd be basically equivalent to forgetting to plug-in the molex connector.

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #1,334 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Telix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That it could change sound quality whatsoever. Individual lines coming out of the PSU are not taxed individually, the PSU has a total load.

The other devices might introduce noise on that particular loop though - I'm not too surprised he found an improvement. You have the same problem with other domestic appliances sharing a mains loop with the hi-fi in houses - it can introduce enough noise to cause the transformers to growl and no doubt results in other audible infelicities.

By the way, I'm looking to upgrade my PC PSU. It's currently a crap 400 W Win Power, I'm thinking about an Antec TruePower modular 550W - any thoughts anyone? (I'm an Essence owner by the way!)

Ta,

EW

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #1,335 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Telix

my psu has three 12v branches/lines. wheter they are truly independant like Corsair state or it's just a gimmick is another question.i'm not gonna pretend i know what was the cause of this improvement. the fact is, the change was so apparent i would have to be half-deaf not to notice. and it wasn't placebo either, i wasn't reorganizing cables to get better sound. i'm much happier with how Essence sounds now and we can leave it at that. i'll remain happy and you can keep thinking its impossible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwicker
By the way, I'm looking to upgrade my PC PSU. It's currently a crap 400 W Win Power, I'm thinking about an Antec TruePower modular 550W - any thoughts anyone? (I'm an Essence owner by the way!)

i would go for Enermax mod82+ 525w. very efficient, quiet and stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back