Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Feb 28, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #931 of 2,066
I guess my findings are different. I think it has to do with me using speakers over headphones. I use the buffer slot also long with the i/v slots. I still looking for the right sound I wish some of the OPAMPs were made in 8-dip instead of 8-soic.

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #932 of 2,066
Anyway, I got a question regarding an Essence STX settings.

Should the Playback in the mixer on the 'Left, Right' be at 100% or would it being at 100% result in clipping?

100percentordefault.png

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #934 of 2,066
^^^I retried that combo again adjusting some of my settings & listening to better tracks and this is what I deduced.

The LT1364 has better body & definition in the bass region. It's also more controlled & detail with a strong presence in the music, imho going on pretty much what alydon said.

and

The LME49720 is more transparent with highs giving it more extension in the treble area and the mids sound more smoother, IMHO. I must say the soundstage has improved also, it sounded more wider then stock & LM6172. Although it lose a bit more bass from the LM6172 it isn't too noticeable.

I think I need to test more tracks but basically IMO it's what I've been looking for. Transparent highs, smooth mids, and clear & present bass. I think these opamps complement each other very well. 1364 takes care of the lower end while the 49720 takes care of the mid-higher end.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #935 of 2,066
the 49720 is just a relabelled 4562-- neither of which are bad opamps. the metal casn version, which is a to-99-8, and costs about $16 at digikey, sounds better than the dip versions. they can be placed in dip sockets if you carefully bend and trim the leads. the tab identifies pin 8, and they are in sequence. if you hold the can with the tab pointing to the left, and carefully bend pin 8 and the three immediately to its right (counterclockwise, on the circualr pattern) away from you, the other 4 pins are then 1-4 in order.)

what i did was to bend them that way, and used extra dip sockets i had, and conformed the leads so they would sit in the sockets. they stick up too far this way, but that wil give youa guide for how much of the leads to trim off, so they sit closer to flush.

i recommend trimming a bit at a time (remember the old adage "measure twice and cut once"!), so you do not trim too much. they will not sit completely flush, but excess lead-length will introduce rfi problems (listen for vast but vague soundstage/imaging, and edgy artifacts).

also, the metal can is connected to V-, so make sure you don't bend the pins so much that they touch the can.

once you've got them trimmed and bent into position on the spare sockets,they should remember their positions fairly well (i left them in the spare sockets for about a day (actually i cheated and put them into the essence along with the extra sockets, and leared about the rfi/stray capacitance ill effects from too long leads and the cans being electrically connected when they touched the card's shield and also bent to much -- i have no patience!!!!)

anyway, they were easy to slip into the card's sockets once they'd gotten use to their new shapes in the spare sockets, and they sound wonderful after many days of continuous play.

i loved the warmth and rich natural tonality of the stock sound, but wanted more snap, resolution, and dynamics than the stock sound could provide.

i have it now, and i am prety much done opamp rolling (i know, famous last words). what's in their now is 49720 metal cans in the i/v spots, and a pair of mono 49710 metal cans, on a browndog adaptor in the output position.

the singles have a slight edge in terms of stage, but are a pain to get seated correctly as the box caps surrounding the socket prevent the browndog from seating completely.
my audio pc is an antec fusion htpc case, so the opamps are sideways, not upside down like they would be in a tower case, so i've made it work. the shield will not fit back on with this arrangement. i have not had time yet to put back the metal 49720 instead, and see how much the shield effects the sound.

to finish the story a bit, i have a dedicated audio pc, running xp sp2 in cics cmp2 mode, using winamp as the player, with a recompiled asio exe plug in that was done by a guy in audioasylum. playing with the asio and winamp config setting, mainly thread and process priorities and buffers makes a musically significant impact on sonics. i run the volume sliders in the xonar panel all the way up, and the rotary volume at abut 50-75%. full up it sems to overload my preamp (i am running analog outs to my two channel speaker based system via magnan silver-bronze ics.

sound card and player settings, along with killing unneeded processes has a major impact on sound -- do experiement with these as you swap opamps, and take notes so you can go back to prior settings. opamps are not simply plug and chug, and some like the 6172s, i believe, may not really be compatible with the card without some circuit tweeks.

happy hunting!

mark

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #936 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by s2kphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^I retried that combo again adjusting some of my settings & listening to better tracks and this is what I deduced.

The LME49720 is more transparent with highs giving it more extension in the treble area and the mids sound more smoother, IMHO. I must say the soundstage has improved also, it sounded more wider then stock & LM6172. Although it lose a bit more bass from the LM6172 it isn't too noticeable.

i posted aboout the metal can 49720s in some detail, but i should mention that using three of them, i've got amazing bass, that goes very deep, with control and texture. last night i did the 25th ann. edition of dark side of the moon, and got to crank the speaker rig a bit before the wife came home, and the heartbeat could be felt and not just heard. i biamp, and the left and right speaker systems each have a single 12" in a 2.5 ft3 cabinet, driven directly by a 150 w a-b amp. i am not a bass head, but do listen from the bottom up, and these opamps give me great bass!

YMMV

to be honest, i couldn;t even tell you if the headphone out of the essence even works! heresy, i know, but i bought it for its analog outs.... it replaced a prodigy hd-2 and/or a juli@.

the prodigy is in my other machine, and i put a pair of lt1028an's into the output in a browndog, and am happy so far, but need to play with it as well.

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #937 of 2,066
oops, one more thing-- i forgot to mention that i built a linear psu for the essence, which supplies both 12v and 5v thru the molex connector. they are choke regulated supplies, and are completely seperate, sharing only the iec inlet. this made a huge difference in the sound, so all of my opamp and sonic comments are based on the use of this supply...

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #938 of 2,066
chinesekiwi -- i just noticed that you have the volume normalization turned on -- svn, i think it is, the left button under the round volume control -- turn that off!!!!! that alters all of the data and it is no longer bit-perfect, iiuk. see what happens then.

best regards,

Mark
promise, i'll stop posting for the moment, and slow down on the coffee!

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #939 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
chinesekiwi -- i just noticed that you have the volume normalization turned on -- svn, i think it is, the left button under the round volume control -- turn that off!!!!! that alters all of the data and it is no longer bit-perfect, iiuk. see what happens then.

best regards,

Mark
promise, i'll stop posting for the moment, and slow down on the coffee!

He's right, you should always have SVN off. It affects dynamic range and processes the sound so, as fzman said, it won't be bit-perfect anymore. Turn the Hi-Fi mode on, and turn the main volume down. At 100%, I've noticed that components started to get stressed to their operating capacity and don't perform as well.

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #940 of 2,066
Has anyone tried this sound card with Beyer DT-880 or Grado SR225?

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #942 of 2,066
But do anyone can explain the difference between main volume control and right & left volume sliders?

More: is Hi-Fi mode the bit-perfect function or is simply a way to disable all the effects? (after all music mode still has Dolby ProLogic II and Dolby Virtual Speaker turned on).

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #944 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benno1988 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This card be a good option for AD900's?

Chosing between Forte, Essence, Xonar and Prelude...

yep, it's a great choice for them. The combination of the wide open soundstage of the Asus cards and open headphones are great.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #945 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by neongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But do anyone can explain the difference between main volume control and right & left volume sliders?

More: is Hi-Fi mode the bit-perfect function or is simply a way to disable all the effects? (after all music mode still has Dolby ProLogic II and Dolby Virtual Speaker turned on).

Hi-Fi mode only turns off all processing effects. To get bit-perfect playback, you'll need a player that supports bit-perfect and enable that option. For example, using Foobar to output with WASAPI or ASIO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back