Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Feb 6, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #601 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have Windows XP, you will have to configure Kernel Streaming to bypass the crappy way XP processes audio (KMixer).
A guide to set it up is below.
If you are on Vista, there is no need to do this.

Many thanks for the guide. It really improved the quality
happy_face1.gif

I actually had the OS in mind when I was about to buy this card. I had heard Vista had this new audio architecture and was wondering if XP wouldn't be optimal for this sound card. But I assumed the drivers and the like of the card would just blast through anything and everything and explode in your headphones with unstoppable, incredible sound.

Sort of off-topic, but I've been downloading some Flac albums lately to try to get the best out of this card, and although they are in Flac format, many have terrible sound still, including mainly this constant, continuous low hissing sound throughout. Though it kind of seems to want to appear when there isn't any real instrument playing but when there are pauses or just silent moments in the song. Could be the recording, but this is even on Michael Jackson's re-releases, in Flac quality. The one that's the best are the ones I ripped in Flac with Winamp, though I'm going to rip them again with this EAC tool I heard about, even though I can't hear a difference between the 320kpbs MP3s I already had ripped, and the Flac.

One song that was really good was Nirvana's Come As You Are, but for some reason the guitar intro goes down in volume right before the other instruments kick in. Must have been one coked-up Californian dude on the mixing table on that one?
confused_face.gif

By the way. Am I the only one not hearing a difference with Foobar2000 from Winamp? They sound pretty much the same to me. I even downloaded that Asio thing I heard mentioned a couple of times.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #602 of 2,066
I am thinking about buying this card.

From the manual, it looks like the RCA output is to feed directly to a pair of speakers. Can (should) you plug them into a pre-amp? Wondering if the signal is too strong compared to normal analog out from a CD player.

M Tan

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #603 of 2,066
snip
Quote:

Anyway, I'll better start explaining how to configure kernel streaming, starting with Foobar2000 followed by Winamp.

Thank you very much for this guide! =]

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #604 of 2,066
Quote:

If you have Windows XP, you will have to configure Kernel Streaming to bypass the crappy way XP processes audio (KMixer).
A guide to set it up is below.
If you are on Vista, there is no need to do this.

Sorry for my naivety, but what does change? Improves quality?

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #605 of 2,066
anyone know where to pickup some 2134 opamps online? I have a hard time finding them (I'm a newbie).

Is the correct part # for the LT1361 (LT1361CN8#PBF-ND) cause I'll be ordering it to replace the LM4562.

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #606 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trojan150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for my naivety, but what does change? Improves quality?

Yes by bypassing how the Windows XP OS processes sound.
Even non-audiophiles notice this change immediately.

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #607 of 2,066
Alydon has mentioned that the LT1361 gave him better results. Even better tyhen 1364 which he tried. The odd thing is, the 1361 is the 'weakest' of the op-amps in terms to technical specs. The LT1368 would be the best one.

However, best by spec isn't necessarily best by ear since Alydon prefered it.

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #608 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alydon has mentioned that the LT1361 gave him better results. Even better tyhen 1364 which he tried. The odd thing is, the 1361 is the 'weakest' of the op-amps in terms to technical specs. The LT1368 would be the best one.

However, best by spec isn't necessarily best by ear since Alydon prefered it.

Hmm I guess I should just buy the LT1368 also so I can decide which sounds better in my ear. btw, you know where I can buy some 2134's?

guess we have to wait until we see people try out the other opamps or do it ourselves. =P

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #609 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtan002 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking about buying this card.

From the manual, it looks like the RCA output is to feed directly to a pair of speakers. Can (should) you plug them into a pre-amp? Wondering if the signal is too strong compared to normal analog out from a CD player.

M Tan

The RCA outputs are Line-Level, The signal levels are industry standard and would be similar to a CD player in that respect. You can connect them to any gear such as a receiver, amplifier etc..

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #610 of 2,066
Feb 8, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #613 of 2,066
Insalled over the weekend I must say coming from the XFI card the Essence card sound so much better under phone even with the PC350.

BTW your right about the sound out of the senn PC350 they are not good. I played music thru them very disaapointed GAMING while better still not happy so I might flebay them not sure,and I cant return them but I got such a good deal I may just give them to my son.

What do you think about the senn HD600 and this card? I will more than likely get a clip on mic of some sort as well. The HD595 I had I sold even before the card arrived, and now I need to replace them because the PC350 are not going to cut it.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #614 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dionysus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What do you think about the senn HD600 and this card?

I get my hd600 tomorow.
using sennheiser 570 atm.
so i can give my impressions later.

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #615 of 2,066
What is up with that site's obsession with PCI-E soundcards? :-/

Also from that card it really needs to have external box to plug headphones into, major pain in the bum having to plug in round the back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back