Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jan 20, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #436 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys -- i built the psu from a design posted by john swenson in the pc audio forum of audio asylum. there's a thread regarding a linear supply for a fit-pc. that's what i built. he spec-ed adjustable regulators, and i ended up using fixed voltage regulators (2940s) for both the 12 and 5 v supplies. the original spec for power consumption that robscix got for us was 20 watts, but that must be with the headphone amp on the card running. i am just using tha analog outs in an audio-only pc that is in my main system for speaker listening. because of the original power consumption figure, i ended up with a transformer which is bigger than need be, and it ends up supplying about 25v of raw dc. this was too much voltage for the 5v regulator to drop, so i ended up using a second transfomer (same kind, smaller model) for just the 5v section.

it's ugly in its current state, and eventually i'll build it into a 2u size chassis which i already have, once i get ambitious.

all of the parts came from digikey except the chokes, which can be found via a web search.

the audio-only pc is built in an antec fusion case, using the supplied power supply, which is good, but not great. it is a very simple machine, with only a single wd green 1tB hard drive, and a pioneer dvd drive. video is onboard, and it is running xp sp2. i play music on it in the cics cmp2 environment, using winamp, with a recompiled otachan asio plug in, also sourced from audio asylum.

hope that helps.

mark

Thanks for the indepth reply
smily_headphones1.gif

But, for those of us without the know-how and/or time, is there any 'off-the-shelf' power supply you would recommend for this? Something of equal or greater quality then the spec you followed?

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #437 of 2,066
Hey Rob, I hope you still remember me. My X-Meridian is starting to show its age now, the sound is not balance anymore. I'm now looking for a new sound card. Too bad Auzentech doesn't make a sound card with user replacable OPAMPs anymore.

I'm now looking at the ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe and the Xonar Essence. I can't make up my mind yet but I hope someone will help. I will be using the card with LM 4562 OPAMPs. Mostly I'll be using HFI-780 and HD 595. I'll be using the analogue connection and I'll also be connecting the card to an Onkyo SR 504 receiver. Thanks in advance.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #438 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if the result would be the same for me against my Prelude 7.1.

X-Meridian 7.1 with lm4562 is better to the Prelude considering the review I have read. :xf_cool:

The prelude is good soundcard and no need to change that.

An external DAC is definitively a good idea ... I heard a 125-150$ DAC (DIY) be as good as my X-Meridian. Was only the board with chips .. with a case will probably around 200-250$.

It's a better way to upgrade IMO ... keep your prelude and just feed a good DAC with it. You will be able to keep it longer than a soundcard ...

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #439 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by alg7_munif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the sound is not balance anymore.

Maybe it's dusty?
I have backups for ones that are drying off this is what I do, wash the dust off under a bath tap. Shake it, gently pat with tissue. Wrap in paper and leave in airing cupboard for a few days if not weeks. Maybe psychological but I swear cards sound better when they're freshly cleaned. Never had an electrical issue doing this, only issue is not letting dry out long enough, water hides under surface mount pins sometimes causes short circuit damage, but only happens if not dried long enough.

Sound quality aside,
tongue_smile.gif
(sure I appreciate quality, but I don't put all my decision factors completely under one goal). Anyone know the framerate performance of this new card? currently my onboard sound on my newer P5Q motherboard is around 10FPS faster than my fastest sound cards.

Cheers.
happy_face1.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #440 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by xBlackEaglex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's dusty?
I have backups for ones that are drying off this is what I do, wash the dust off under a bath tap. Shake it, gently pat with tissue. Wrap in paper and leave in airing cupboard for a few days if not weeks. Maybe psychological but I swear cards sound better when they're freshly cleaned. Never had an electrical issue doing this, only issue is not letting dry out long enough, water hides under surface mount pins sometimes causes short circuit damage, but only happens if not dried long enough.

Sound quality aside,
tongue_smile.gif
(sure I appreciate quality, but I don't put all my decision factors completely under one goal). Anyone know the framerate performance of this new card? currently my onboard sound on my newer P5Q motherboard is around 10FPS faster than my fastest sound cards.

Cheers.
happy_face1.gif

I've never washed it but I've tried using a canned air, no luck. I really like my X-Meridian with LM 4562 and I'm sad that I can't buy a replacement anymore.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #441 of 2,066
Sorry about that... but now you can upgrade to Xonar Essences then
wink.gif

Looking forward to see final review from Robscix on HWC... the sneak preview has been there forever, when is the final review coming?

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #442 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to see final review from Robscix on HWC... the sneak preview has been there forever, when is the final review coming?

Yup, I'm also waiting for that, the sneak peak got me so much into this card, bought it and LOVE it. Hopefully somebody out there will review this baby with some decent headphones.

Two scary things happened during my late night listening, the first being an acoustic guitar track I've done a week ago, when listened with STX, I can HEAR MY BREATH when I played the guitar, it's not about the mic being senstive, just I never get to those detail on any other playback source.

Another thing is that when I listened to some of my most familiar tracks everythings seemed waaaaay better. For the tracks in Rent musical (very nice songs!), the dynamics just come so alive and you can feel the actors talking and expressing themselves instead of singing. Very huge difference, I suggest you go througn all your favor tracks to actually feel the difference.

Be noted that I'm not switching from onboard.... I used a line6 toneport, but not anymore. I'll stick to STX except when I need line6's software to simulate guitar amp sound.
darthsmile.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #443 of 2,066
pompon;5320043 said:
I tried with 2 other friends a linear powersupply on the STX and that gave a positive influence on the soundquality.

@Pompon, @FinAxe
i am still wondering what recommended current values for 5v n 12v are, [including power consumption / current requirements) with headphones with impedanece of 32 ohms as well as 600 ohms (if there is any difference). also i wonder if there are any specific issues that have to be taken when designing dedicated psu for this card.

as for now i know that probably the power requirement is 20w (when analog section in on) however i do not know current values and probably 5.2w (+12V --> 0.15A, +5V --> 0.68A) in case when analog section is off.

i hope you might be able to provide this info as i understand you had used bench psu for driving xonar stx.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #445 of 2,066
Is it possible for anyone to compare the DAC of the STX to other standalone DAC like Benchmark DAC? Use whatever amp you wish, I'm just curious on the DAC quality of and how it compares to standalone DAC's.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #446 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible for anyone to compare the DAC of the STX to other standalone DAC like Benchmark DAC? Use whatever amp you wish, I'm just curious on the DAC quality of and how it compares to standalone DAC's.

x2

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #448 of 2,066
Just a warning for gamers who are thinking about getting this card.. Asus driver support makes Creative look godsend.

They release drivers roughly once a year (this is counting their buggy beta releases) and do not really seem that interested in fixing anything.

The basic features more or less work but then you don't buy a card this expensive just for that.. for example their "DS3D GX" (Asus version of EAX) causes blue screens, CTDs or just removes half of the sound effects from the game..

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #449 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a warning for gamers who are thinking about getting this card.. Asus driver support makes Creative look godsend.

They release drivers roughly once a year (this is counting their buggy beta releases) and do not really seem that interested in fixing anything.

The basic features more or less work but then you don't buy a card this expensive just for that.. for example their "DS3D GX" (Asus version of EAX) causes blue screens, CTDs or just removes half of the sound effects from the game..

They actually surprised me this time around by announcing those new drivers on the 25th that will fix my issues with FEAR multiplayer. I can't comment on EAX because I always felt like it was worthless when I had an xtrememusic. I don't use special effects with the xonar either. None of that crap really seems to work but maybe it was the game I don't know. After I realized that simulated 3d audio didn't really work I decided to focus on sound quality.

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #450 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttol /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you own this card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back