Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jan 17, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #406 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had another question about the card...since it says in the specs it outputs 24bit...should I enable the bit depth in foobar to be 24 instead of the default 16? Not sure if that's what bit depth is or not.

yes, select the 24-bit option in foobar AND the windows mixer.

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #407 of 2,066
Card came in about an hour ago! Thanks NCIX on eBay
smily_headphones1.gif

Thoughts so far:

I'm going to compare this card to what I know: Zero DAC with Earth HDAM, Xonar DX, Sansa Clip.

The card is CLEARLY superior to all three, including the $200-ish Zero with OPA-Earth. The Essence STX has a tiny hint of warmth, a brand new level of detail that wasn't there before. The card is extremely revealing, but not in a fatiguing way, rather in a musical way. The card NEEDS burn-in. By far the best $200 I've spent.

One tiny issue: at 24 bit/44.1khz I hear a tiny bit of noise that disappears when switching to something like 24bit/96khz. I just keep it at 96khz but I don't know if this affects SQ.

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #408 of 2,066
Yes, the Essence STX definately has some high quality sound.
Great deal for $200 given the sound quality out of the box.
The sound will improve and change as the card burns-in and settles. Enjoy.

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #409 of 2,066
I'm so getting this one, when it's released here in Europe!

One question though. I have SR225 which have low impedance but high current demands. What should be the gain on this card set to, so it would drive these headphones properly? As I understand it, the higher gain levels are for cans with high impedance (up to 600 ohms). Grados of course have 32 ohms, but when I was considering M^3 amp I learned that for Grados higher (5) gain is better.

So now I'm kinda confused about what gain should I use on Essence STX.

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #410 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Card came in about an hour ago! Thanks NCIX on eBay
smily_headphones1.gif

Thoughts so far:

I'm going to compare this card to what I know: Zero DAC with Earth HDAM, Xonar DX, Sansa Clip.

The card is CLEARLY superior to all three, including the $200-ish Zero with OPA-Earth. The Essence STX has a tiny hint of warmth, a brand new level of detail that wasn't there before. The card is extremely revealing, but not in a fatiguing way, rather in a musical way. The card NEEDS burn-in. By far the best $200 I've spent.

One tiny issue: at 24 bit/44.1khz I hear a tiny bit of noise that disappears when switching to something like 24bit/96khz. I just keep it at 96khz but I don't know if this affects SQ.

I currently own a Zero DAC with OPA-Earth but have been very interested in this card. Have you been using these devices without an external amp? I own a Darkvoice tube amp and so DAC quality is what I've been looking for. Also, I know you just got this card, but please report back if you decide to stick that discrete opamp on the Essense, I'd like to know the improvements

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #411 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own a Zero DAC with OPA-Earth but have been very interested in this card. Have you been using these devices without an external amp? I own a Darkvoice tube amp and so DAC quality is what I've been looking for. Also, I know you just got this card, but please report back if you decide to stick that discrete opamp on the Essense, I'd like to know the improvements

Unfortunately I no longer have the Zero with the discrete opamp in my possession, sold it last week. However, when connecting my Little Dot I+ to the Essence RCA outs, I do notice improvements from my memory over the Zero with OPA-Earth. The Essence has a little bit more detail and pushes it out in a more musical and fluent way (for lack of better words) than the Zero with the Earth.

Has anyone tried this card with OPA627 yet? I will probably swap tonight to give it a listen
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #412 of 2,066
Anyone tried to compare volume/power/quality of headphone output of STX and Xtreme Gamer/Music/Audio using same settings and headphones, which have impedence less than 64 ohm?

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #413 of 2,066
There is one thing that is still unclear to me: does the opamp replacement affect the headphone out as well as line-out, or the latter only?

I don't get where the circuitry separation starts (or is it only a matter of power source separation?)

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #414 of 2,066
Anyway, I'm in the middle of writing a massive review of this card as I have been sent the Essence STX to review by the only store in New Zealand to stock them, ComputerLounge, and it will cover many aspects so stay tuned!

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #416 of 2,066
Here's the specs for the cards amp if it hasn't been posted already.
Audio Amplifiers - Headphone Amplifiers - TPA6120A2 - TI.com
What are the thoughts of people that know what to make of it?
I don't know what's good as far as amps go. 80 mw into 600 ohm. What's that into 1 ohm? Curious how it compares to my glite spec-wise.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #417 of 2,066
Well I quickly swapped to OPA627 last night (I shouldn't say quickly at all, it takes forever). However I was very disappointed. The OPA627 is a fantastic opamp for the Zero DAC/amp, but it was terrible in my Little Dot I+ amp and it's terrible in the Essence too. OPA627 sucked detail out, and put a little more bass. It turned the Essence into more like a $70 sound card rather than a $200 one
frown.gif
. Swapped back to LM4562 and it sounds great! I'm keeping this thing in until someone thinks they have a better opamp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #418 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I quickly swapped to OPA627 last night (I shouldn't say quickly at all, it takes forever). However I was very disappointed. The OPA627 is a fantastic opamp for the Zero DAC/amp, but it was terrible in my Little Dot I+ amp and it's terrible in the Essence too. OPA627 sucked detail out, and put a little more bass. It turned the Essence into more like a $70 sound card rather than a $200 one
frown.gif
. Swapped back to LM4562 and it sounds great! I'm keeping this thing in until someone thinks they have a better opamp
smily_headphones1.gif

Well thank you for testing it out
smily_headphones1.gif
1 down... 5? to go =D

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #419 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by twhtpclover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool.. looking forward for it...
But I don't see there's review section in ComputerLounge, is it in another site?

I'll post it on their forums first then post on other forums, including Head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Not 56k friendly
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #420 of 2,066
I tried with 2 other friends a linear powersupply on the STX and that gave a positive influence on the soundquality.

BTW, for my tastes, I tend to prefer X-Meridian (with lm4562) over the STX because the STX give a little bit too much details for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back