Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Mar 6, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #991 of 2,066
You have to get the XLR cables (which i think in this case 2 of them, 1 for Right and 1 for Left channel) and 2 adapters to convert the XLR to RCA end where u can plug the RCA ends into the soundcard.

However, i think there are such cables where it's terminated with 1 male RCA and 1 male XLR plugs by default, which would be the best scenario for your case.

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #993 of 2,066
You mean the interference by EMI and the likes? If so, yes. RCA is more prone to noise compared to XLR cables however you can help the situation by wrapping ERS paper or aluminum foils around the cables.

Personally, i wrapped all of my cables with 2 layers of aluminum foil the difference is noticeable.

At the side note, please re-check with the salesman if what they say tally with the information I've posted so as not to waste your money and time.

Well at least, you have a head start on what to look out for now!

Enjoy this audio journey,

Cheers

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #994 of 2,066
Did you wrap the whole cable or just the tips?

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #995 of 2,066
The whole cable including part of the head.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #996 of 2,066
is anybody having problems with gaming on essence? im using vista 64 and the newest drivers for essence and the only games that don't crash are Mass Effect and Rainbow Six Vegas II. i tried Fallout 3, Call of Duty 5 and SC
biggrin.gif
ouble Agent and they all crashed within few minutes of playing. seems like asus has a lot of work ahead with proper drivers.

music-wise it's fantastic. i'm absolutely enjoying it, especially with songs that weren't mastered with dynamic range compresion.

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #997 of 2,066
I'm using XP and the only time it's ever given me problems was when I was using GS3D or whatever it's called in Fallout 3. It didn't crash but the audio would skip like a scratched record or cd. I got out, went to hi-fi mode the way I normally do and went back in and everything has been fine.

I don't know if the OS is making any difference but maybe try in hi-fi mode?

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #998 of 2,066
yeah, i tried that too, but to no avail. generally, i think that 64-bit os owners' punishment days are still not over
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #999 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is anybody having problems with gaming on essence? im using vista 64 and the newest drivers for essence and the only games that don't crash are Mass Effect and Rainbow Six Vegas II. i tried Fallout 3, Call of Duty 5 and SC
biggrin.gif
ouble Agent and they all crashed within few minutes of playing. seems like asus has a lot of work ahead with proper drivers.

music-wise it's fantastic. i'm absolutely enjoying it, especially with songs that weren't mastered with dynamic range compresion.

Those games not crashing for me then again I have the HDAV13 and not the STX.

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #1,000 of 2,066
@Dex58, Watch the sample rate setting on the card. It can cause troubles with some games if yu set it to high. I remember this was a issue with COD:WAW...
Keep the smapling rate at 44.1Khz and see if this helps clear up some of the gaming issues your having.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #1,001 of 2,066
^^it didn't help either. i can't think of anything else but a soundcard being a problem here. my pc is a rock stable in stressing benchmarks, also those two games i mentioned are working with no issues at all.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #1,002 of 2,066
Xonar appreciation from me. I A/B'd an xfi vs d2x today and there was no contest. Xfi sounded relatively bassy and muddy compared to the d2x which is smooth and creamy in comparison... looks like I need to get an external DAC now.

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #1,004 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Dex58, Watch the sample rate setting on the card. It can cause troubles with some games if yu set it to high. I remember this was a issue with COD:WAW...
Keep the smapling rate at 44.1Khz and see if this helps clear up some of the gaming issues your having.

That issue's been fixed in the latest COD:WAW patch.

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #1,005 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xonar appreciation from me. I A/B'd an xfi vs d2x today and there was no contest. Xfi sounded relatively bassy and muddy compared to the d2x which is smooth and creamy in comparison... looks like I need to get an external DAC now.

Depends which X-fi tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back